Hello Miss FJ62. Flaco's dream.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
You can fit 35s with Old Man Emu with a small body lift (Roger Brown sells them). I have heard mixed results about this but it would work.. 35's are cool but I am feel sort of 'done' with them at least for now. Bigger 33's work great and less compromise in my opinion. (correct that that red FJ60 was SOA)...

Congrats, looks super clean.. that is a better deal than I got on mine that is abut the same rustwise... But mine runs pretty well (just commuted 40 minutes to work in it today)...

You can fit 35s with Old Man Emu with a small body lift (Roger Brown sells them). I have heard mixed results about this but it would work.. 35's are cool but I am feel sort of 'done' with them at least for now. Bigger 33's work great and less compromise in my opinion. (correct that that red FJ60 was SOA)...

Congrats, looks super clean.. that is a better deal than I got on mine that is abut the same rustwise... But mine runs pretty well (just commuted 40 minutes to work in it today)...

Yeah, i am really feeling the 33s. I hear that the truck works better (gearing wise) with 33s than the stockers?

esh

Explorer
It does, with the A440 or an H55.

Better is subjective.. you will get worse gas mileage with larger tires, but the 33s allow an A440 to wind up the 3FE in 3rd while climbing a pass. You can get a 3FE working well up to 4300rpm.. I would frequently do 55-60mph in 3rd on a hill.

If your plans involve keeping the auto for a while before the swap, look into getting a torque converter and valve body from Rodney @ Wholesale Automatic Transmissions in Australia. At least do a Rodney flush pronto.

It does, with the A440 or an H55.

Better is subjective.. you will get worse gas mileage with larger tires, but the 33s allow an A440 to wind up the 3FE in 3rd while climbing a pass. You can get a 3FE working well up to 4300rpm.. I would frequently do 55-60mph in 3rd on a hill.

If your plans involve keeping the auto for a while before the swap, look into getting a torque converter and valve body from Rodney @ Wholesale Automatic Transmissions in Australia. At least do a Rodney flush pronto.

Link on info for that?

I'm thinking if I keep the 3FE I will do the H55 swap... but if I do go ahead with the 350TBI then the NV4500... its all in time of course.

The truck did feel extremely slow. Owner road with us and said it did feel unusually sluggish.. a good tune up and new gas would probably help. I know the trucks aren't race winners by any means, unless we are talking about the tortoise and the hare. It just felt like it took over a mile to get up to 60mph. Normal-ish??

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Yeah, i am really feeling the 33s. I hear that the truck works better (gearing wise) with 33s than the stockers?
I did the math for my TPI. 4.11's and 33's put it within 60 RPM of the Z-28 donor's tire/gearing combo at 60, 65, 70, & 75 mph.

"Rodney Flush" is covered on the Mud 60 series forum if that's what you're asking for a link to.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I will say I have driven a H55F FJ62 and it was night and day difference. I am not considering any engine swaps for my FJ62 currently, the 3FE is that good, IMO.

I will say I have driven a H55F FJ62 and it was night and day difference. I am not considering any engine swaps for my FJ62 currently, the 3FE is that good, IMO.

Yeah, Mud reports the A440 sucks up something like 10-50% of the 3FE's power.

If the H55 is that good, I may go with that swap. I just dont know. It would be nice to drive both.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
For now if I do it I'll probably do a 4 speed manual from a 8/85 FJ60 or later. It is identical in size to the 5 speed on the later FJ60s so that will let me upgrade if I decide I need 5th or the lower 4.8 gearing of the first gear, at some point...

That will let me get the manual. With 33" tires I think it would be pretty good with the stock 4.10 gears even on the highway I would imagine...

This is what a friend is attempting to convince me to do and we nearly already have all the parts... :)

BCcamp

Observer
We recently rebuilt the A440 in our FJ62 and it really transformed the truck. Didn't make it a speed demon, but it can now keep up with traffic and maintain acceptable speeds on the grades in the Sierras near our home. Our truck is running 33s with a 2.5 OME lift and stock gears.

A trans rebuild combined with a good running 3FE works pretty well. You'll forever be familiar with life in the slow lane, but you won't be a road hazard. Try driving a FJ62 with a fresh A440 and then one with an H55 and see which you prefer. The decision was an easy one for us because we want to keep the truck original and (relatively) stock, and I like the auto for the kinds of highway and backcountry driving we do.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I would definitely prefer to not have to replace the A440F mostly because of the overdrive, and the cost of a H55F. Right now everything is working pretty well except that the trans is popping out of gear before it warms up even though the levels are correct. As soon as it warms up it is fine, to the extent it bothers me little enough that I haven't even figured out in the slightest why. I do need to change the oil on it shortly so maybe I'll try to do the Rodney Flush at the same time as well, though that sure is a lot of transmission fluid.. :)

My truck is currently a stocker and I think I'll be commuting in it currently so it would be nice to keep it stock height and the 31" tire size (I believe). It goes up the grade nicely in 3rd gear with the 31s, so I wonder if 33's would be an improvement. I have a set of use OME springs and shocks lying around that I was thinking of putting on the truck but it would be mostly for cosmetics more than anything else (I would actually like to keep the 31s) so any input is helpful..

thanks,
Andre

For now if I do it I'll probably do a 4 speed manual from a 8/85 FJ60 or later. It is identical in size to the 5 speed on the later FJ60s so that will let me upgrade if I decide I need 5th or the lower 4.8 gearing of the first gear, at some point...

That will let me get the manual. With 33" tires I think it would be pretty good with the stock 4.10 gears even on the highway I would imagine...

This is what a friend is attempting to convince me to do and we nearly already have all the parts... :)

I would definitely prefer to not have to replace the A440F mostly because of the overdrive, and the cost of a H55F. Right now everything is working pretty well except that the trans is popping out of gear before it warms up even though the levels are correct. As soon as it warms up it is fine, to the extent it bothers me little enough that I haven't even figured out in the slightest why. I do need to change the oil on it shortly so maybe I'll try to do the Rodney Flush at the same time as well, though that sure is a lot of transmission fluid.. :)

Hmmmm you have me thinking about the 4spd now. Cheaper/easier to come by, but obviously not as trick as the h55.

Here is some info for the H42 to FJ62
http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/152688-h42-installed-fj62.html

http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/236827-4speed-manual-into-fj62-help-please.html

Andre, do you know if there are any adapters for the NV4500 to the 3FE??

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad