MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
ohhhh dang... some motivational pr0n.

DSCN0066.jpg
DSCN0065.jpg

DSCN0049.jpg

:drool:

Boing!!!!

I'm working down in Houston and on my way back to the hotel yesterday morning I spotted a shop with quite a few Toyotas. The one that caught my eye was the 60 below, but he had FJ40s, FJ60s, 62s, 70s, 4Runners, trucks, the whole spectrum from stock to super built buggies.:drool:

I talked to the shop owner and to the fabricator for well over an hour getting info on doing a motor swap into the FJ62. Their consensus was that there is no simpler motor to install than the Chevy Vortechs. The shop owner was pushing the 6.0 while the fabricator (after hearing what I want to do) said the 5.3 would be the best match for me and the truck. Wiring harness can be sent off and fixed up with only a 5 wire install application Which should make things quite easy. The rest of the conversion is simply installation.

I've also decided that 3" OME and the 33's will be plenty. I'll likely go with the 33x12.50 because I think it looks the best.
IMG_3058-1.jpg

I like this home made bumper. I've got LOTS of that same metal too.
IMG_3052.jpg

IMG_3053.jpg

IMG_3057-1.jpg

IMG_3056-1.jpg

I also like the rear bumper. Simple and stout.
IMG_3060.jpg

IMG_3061.jpg

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I guess that means I will have to convince The_Mrs. that a stick welder and a plasma cutter are both required additions to the garage... :sombrero:

... I'll be expecting a wingman, btw! :)

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I have a small leak in my A440F somewhere. Even though the oil was within range on the dip stick adding a 1/2 quart this morning seemed to make a big difference instantly in terms of power and the light popping out of gear in the morning/when cold issue I've been having, so this weekend I am going to figure out where the leaks are and then do the Rodney (thanks for that link) and an oil change as well and hopefully stop them up. The good news is all that leaky oil has coated underneath pretty well so even more "rust protection" lol.. I am really growing to like the FJ62 and can't wait to clean it up a little more...

Hope it helps...

Mine seems to have plenty of power and boogies pretty well I think...

Andre

Andre,
Mine was also coming out of gear when cold (mostly in reverse) Turned out that when I got some work done they didn't fill it enough and since I added the quart or so it's been fine for the past two years. No Rodney flushing for me. That stuff scares the crap out of me.

I had some pretty good leaks that I addressed a few weeks ago. I started by re-torquing the engine oil pan bolts. It definitely slowed the leakage and now I was able to confirm the pan gasket is leaking and not the rear main seal. I'll try to put the new pan gasket on this or next weekend.

While I was under there, I noticed the tranny looked a little damp. I reached for the pan bolts and all of them could be loosened by hand. I re-torqued them and have had no more leakage there.

There has been ~750 miles put on her since I tightened everything up with no more tranny fluid loss. Try that first.

Cheers,
Dave

Dave et all,

I have been 100% leak free since the oil pan gasket fix and I leaked a lot! It's been three years and not a single drop of oil on the floor. I used to have oil all over the bottom of the engine and Transmission and a pretty big puddle on the floor. It was even diagnosed by the Toyota shop as the Rear Main. This was after a steam clean and dye in the oil to find the leak. - I was advised by Mudraks here in Sonoma that it is almost never the rear main and simply the oil pan.

I love my Auto trans and would not think about changing it. It totally works for my needs.

I'm also satisfied with the power (of course it could have a tad more) :sombrero:

Here is my link to the oil pan fix - (updated today)
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24049

Oh,
And to stay on topic - LaOutback Trail - Your Land Cruiser has one of my favorite color schemes. Congrats and welcome to FJ62 fun!

Speaking of transmissions again...

The truck is doing something funny. At about 60mph it acts as if its wanting to come out of gear-- making a bit of a grinding noise. Down shift to 3 and it goes away after running it a few seconds then putting it back into Drive. But it will do it again every once in a while.

So, I'm going to do the Rodney flush (BTW, Why does that scare you Cabrito??) to see if that helps. If the transmission is bad... well... you know whats going to happen.

I'm really excited to get to working on the truck. I'm going to buy the OME suspension components for each corner (per paycheck) and get the truck set up for our family overland adventures!

I also found this:

Practically the same thing as a tuffy but brand new for $89! I think it will work well in the truck.... I need one for my 4runner too, if only it would fit!

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Speaking of transmissions again...
So, I'm going to do the Rodney flush (BTW, Why does that scare you Cabrito??) to see if that helps. If the transmission is bad... well... you know whats going to happen.

Something about jamming it into Park while driving at speed creeps me out. I just can't bring myself to do it. Thank goodness I don't have any issues with the tranny so I don't even need to consider it. There is a lot of positive feedback about the process though so I'm sure my fears are totally unfounded. It's all in my head..

Something about jamming it into Park while driving at speed creeps me out. I just can't bring myself to do it. Thank goodness I don't have any issues with the tranny so I don't even need to consider it. There is a lot of positive feedback about the process though so I'm sure my fears are totally unfounded. It's all in my head..

WHY IN THE HELL would you jam it into park while driving?!??!?? I wouldnt do that either!

This is the info I have found....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcruiser
So what is a "Rodney flush"?

Rodney owns Wholesale Automatic Transmissions in Australia. He knows more about Toyota automatic transmissions than anyone I have run across. I bought one of his heavy duty A440F's about a year ago. See above post about that.

Here is a post from rodney to the 3FE list some years back on how to flush the transmission...

"The Rodney Flush"
Here is a full set of instructions to do an Automatic Transmission full flush and oil flow test all at the same time. I have done it different ways but the best way I have set out below:
*Remove the front drive shaft. *Undo the rear cooler line from the rear transmission union. *Slid a rubber hose over the cooler line and direct it into a bucket. *Either drain the transmission using the drain plug or service the transmission. *Refill the transmission with 1 and a half gallons of transmission oil (Synthetic Recommended). *Start the car in park and hold it at 2000Rpm for 60 seconds and turn off. *Measure the oil in the bucket to find out transmission flow. *Add another gallon into transmission. (Engine Off) *Restart car and let it just idle until the oil changes colour to a nice clean oil, you will need to ad some oil as you are doing this to keep it flowing. Then shut engine off. *Refit rear cooler line. *Refit front shaft. *Restart car and top up the transmission to correct level.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
WHY IN THE HELL would you jam it into park while driving?!??!?? I wouldnt do that either!

From what I remember there is another part of the Rodney Flush called "the party trick"
A quick MUD search turned up a few references.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/210319-rodney-party-trick-auto-tranny.html

And from this thread.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/145012-tranny-shift-problems.html

The first thing to do would be to check the fluid level. You also might want to do a fluid flush and filter cleaning/replacement. If those things don't work, it may be your governor sticking. The way to clean the governor is to get going about 65 mph and slam the shift lever into the park position and leave it there for about 3-4 seconds. Then shift it quickly back into drive. No, I am not kidding.

There is a lot of discussion on MUD about the negatives of doing transmission flush in these things. All I have ever done in the ten years and 70k miles I've had it is the routine fluid change and filter cleaning. I have not done any Flushing that I know of.
I'm sure some of the big brains will have some better info though.

RU55ELL

Explorer
This just shows you how little I come into the LC section. Congrats on the buy! You have a pm about those wheels.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Thats pretty slick LaOutback. I almost bought one 2 years ago and was talked out of it. I get mad every time I think about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad