help! random dummy lights

TOI

Web Adventurer
i recently went wheeling my 86' 4runner, and the check engine light flashed when i was crossing a creek. i thought nothing of it at the time but the next day when i went to go wash it at a car wash i noticed the charge battery light and brake lights were on. my battery is charged and my brake is not on. has anyone had this happen before? or know what might be the culprit?

-Ian

jjdavids

Same thing happened to me on my 85. Have your alternator tested. I had to replace mine.

This has happened twice to me. First after a moderate water crossing and second at the car wash. I have researched this issue on the usual forums and found that most do not have this issue. I believe in my case it has happened because I bought the AutoZone variety of alternator.

TOI

Web Adventurer
Same thing happened to me on my 85. Have your alternator tested. I had to replace mine.

This has happened twice to me. First after a moderate water crossing and second at the car wash. I have researched this issue on the usual forums and found that most do not have this issue. I believe in my case it has happened because I bought the AutoZone variety of alternator.

well my alternator went out today... and left me on the side of the road, that goodness for AAA and being prepared. i just wished i either had my doors on or some warmer clothes. yup i'll pull my alternator this weekend and have it tested.

TOI

Web Adventurer
i had my assumptions due to the dimmed headlights at night, but i wasnt sure... well im pretty sure now

Rando

Explorer
Had the same thing happen on my old 88 4runner. Charge and brake warning light came on, 50 miles later car died. Required a new alternator. In my case it was due a leaky oil seal spraying oil directly into the alternator.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
ND alternators are near bulletproof. $11 set of brushes at Autozone usually fixes them . Hope you didn't just drop $100 reman for somebody else to install the brushes.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
the alternator on the 22re is in a dumb place. when mine died i went to a 100 amp chevy alternator and moved it up under the intake manifold.

mine also set off the same lights when the alternator died.

YodasYota

Observer
Just another thing to check, but when my ebrake light came on and stayed on in my 93 pickup (with a 22re) it was low on brake fluid, and the ebrake light doubled as a brake fluid light. Just thought I'd throw that in there, but it looks like you have figured out you problem.

TOI

Web Adventurer
the alternator on the 22re is in a dumb place. when mine died i went to a 100 amp chevy alternator and moved it up under the intake manifold.

mine also set off the same lights when the alternator died.

im thinking of swapping in a 100 amp also do you have a write up?

Asha'man

Observer
I've gone through a couple of alternators. The brake light/battery light is set up to act as a "bad alternator" indicator. It's come in handy for me a few times. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy