Hey Vortec Guys! / Sierra pickup / Suburban / Yukon etc - Finally has Index!

rayra

Expedition Leader
welp rockauto has ACDELCO MU1738 for $192. My local Autozone wants $270. I'm not even checking the local GM Dealer. Guess I'll be buying that soon against future need and figuring out when I want to tackle it. I have enough big scrap lumber and jackstands to put the whole thing several inches in the air, to give me room to wrassle the tank. And a decent floor jack to support it while I pull the tank straps. Sort of been needing to do that anyway as part of validating my tank skidplate / second skin design.

First I have to solve that squawking Alternator. Can get a Remy 145A from Rockauto for $100, Autozone is double that.
And I notice that Rockauto has a 'Power select' branded ALT with a 253A rating, nearly DOUBLE my factory 130A. For only $120. Looks like it's attracted a lot of other attention, is branded as 'popular'.
Hell with that thing and two big batteries I can run a 12k winch with ease.

rayra

Expedition Leader
yep, blue goo for me and Stryder, all the GMT800s, really.

There's a $25 repair part if your transfer case hasn't worn thru yet. But you have to disassemble the whole thing to install it -

I've got a lot of slack in my front drivetrain, don't know yet if it's transfer case chain, u-joints or from ring and pinion in the front axle. My CVs and hubs are effectively new. I changed all the fluids when I first got it, 4yrs+ ago, the transfer case fluid was black and nasty. I've had the new u-joints sitting on a shelf for year or more. Need to get them in soon, all four.

rayra

Expedition Leader
going down the rabbit hole of needing to upsize the charge wire from my higher-output alternator to the battery terminal / jumper cable connection block above the power steering, that nobody bothers to use. The factory wire isn't sized to handle the full output of the higher output alternator. And maybe that's why I need to put a dash switch on the keyed solenoid-triggering wire. So I can manually switch off the solenoid and winch solely off my Aux battery while still running the vehicle and trying to get unstuck. No fear of a max pull then frying the solenoid or my alternator charge wire. And that's a reminder to have a spare charge wire once the winch is operational.
Looking at 2AWG and maybe even a 1AWG bit of welding cable. more later.

bigdogyj

Calling all GMT800 Mafia... Calling all GMT800 Mafia...

My Fuel pump has begun singing its keening death song. Shopping rockauto and seeking which brands to avoid.
The noise began after a 60mi trip last friday, with about a 1/4 tank of fuel. eeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Almost turned the vehicle off at a red light to confirm it was me, but last moment thought 'maybe it won't work again', so drove it home and did that shutdown in the driveway. Today it didn't happen, but been considering the issue for a long time so 'trust' is pretty much gone. I have AAA Plus, but don't want to deal with driving it until it fails. I'd rather do the replacement at a time and place of my own choosing. So I'm doing the shopping and I know a few of you have had trouble of this type, could use any brand feedback.

/and yes, I intend to go thru the vehicle floor, for the hell of it.

@CrazyDrei @Stryder106 @AA1PR @02TahoeMD @boll_rig @Martinjmpr @Burb One

eta and it's about time I put an index at the front of this topic, so big can't readily find anything
I would also stick with AC delco. but avoid the ACdelco Professional line if possible. Those are basically parts store quality parts. the Delphi or ACdelco OEM are usually higher quality componenets.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
If your transfer case is completely stock - then what you could be seeing in there is magnesium rubbed off the inside of the case by a sharp edged widget. It will slowly rub away the casing to the point that it creates a leak at the top - which you can't see - and then your transfer case burns up. There is an aftermarket blunt edged widget to solve that.

And why is your transfer case fluid pink? Don't you use the Blue fluid?
I did some research, it looks like the pump rub affected 88-07.5 trucks. Hopefully mine is immune. Not sure about the color though.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
going down the rabbit hole of needing to upsize the charge wire from my higher-output alternator to the battery terminal / jumper cable connection block above the power steering, that nobody bothers to use. The factory wire isn't sized to handle the full output of the higher output alternator. And maybe that's why I need to put a dash switch on the keyed solenoid-triggering wire. So I can manually switch off the solenoid and winch solely off my Aux battery while still running the vehicle and trying to get unstuck. No fear of a max pull then frying the solenoid or my alternator charge wire. And that's a reminder to have a spare charge wire once the winch is operational.
Just as a comparison I'll mention my 2500 with snow plow prep package has the 160a alt and 2 awg.

Stryder106

Explorer
All of mine is 00awg but I'm running a 250a alternator (170a @ idle, 205 @ cruise, 250 @ WOT). Twin Odyssey 34-78.

Stryder106

Explorer
I did some research, it looks like the pump rub affected 88-07.5 trucks. Hopefully mine is immune. Not sure about the color though.
I wouldn't wait to find out. The rub is on top so it only leaks when turning - in other words - there is no indication of a leak. It runs out of fluid and burns itself up with no external signs to indicate that it is happening.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Heh. ok, ok I just finished it tonight. It was a good battle log. Needs moar maps and some wide-angle shots of the terrain. I hope / expect you are writing some sort of longer version for publication and to aid those that choose to follow your route? Have GPS coords?
The breaking and welding, sounds like more punishment than I can take or afford. But have been there and done that, long decades ago in mini-trucks, dirt bikes and ATVs. Broken a lot of tube steel, from Little Rock Dam to Barstow. Got no taste for it anymore.
And maybe a coda / tribute to the deceased battle wagon.

We'll have to talk some about the onboard welder. As I'm now completing my years-long project of heavy cabling bumper plugs for the cradle mounted winch and am installing my new 253A alternator and 1/0 charge wire upgrade next week. I'm wondering if I can rig a buzz box to plug into the SB175 plugs at either end of the vehicle. I'll soon be able to supply and pass 200A+ to either end of the vehicle. And I have some old limited experience with arc and oxy-acetylene welding. Good enough to make trail repairs, beauty doesn't count anywhere near as much as weld strength, in the middle of nowhere, with nothing but buzzards to judge.

Last edited:

Stryder106

Explorer
Heh. ok, ok I just finished it tonight. It was a good battle log. Needs moar maps and some wide-angle shots of the terrain. I hope / expect you are writing some sort of longer version for publication and to aid those that choose to follow your route? Have GPS coords?
The breaking and welding, sounds like more punishment than I can take or afford. But have been there and done that, long decades ago in mini-trucks, dirt bikes and ATVs. Broken a lot of tube steel, from Little Rock Dam to Barstow. Got no taste for it anymore.
And maybe a coda / tribute to the deceased battle wagon.

We'll have to talk some about the onboard welder. As I'm now completing my years-long project of heavy cabling bumper plugs for the cradle mounted winch and am installing my new 253A alternator and 1/0 charge wire upgrade next week. I'm wondering if I can rig a buzz box to plug into the SB175 plugs at either end of the vehicle. I'll soon be able to supply and pass 200A+ to either end of the vehicle. And I have some old limited experience with arc and oxy-acetylene welding. Good enough to make trail repairs, beauty doesn't count anywhere near as much as weld strength, in the middle of nowhere, with nothing but buzzards to judge.

Tough crowd. I took 1000 pics - Overland Journal picked the pics they wanted to use. Did you read the online or the magazine? Magazine has a dual page spread. Longer version? Dude - that was a 12 TWELVE page article - it's the longest Overland Journal has ever run before. I have my gps files - I've already written the supplements to be used as inserts for when people buy the books from MDHCA - or they can download if they already have the books.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I read it here. Didn't mean to come off as disparaging, I know it's a lot of work to write that stuff up. I think it could benefit from a little more 'overview'. Good background on the trail creator. As I read the descriptions of events I didn't really have a sense or where or how far until I got to the black map at the very end. It's quite the huge cloverleaf sort of run. I've been running around the highways and MSRs all over that region for a long time without knowing the local / mountain names, so didn't really recognize where all you'd run until that last map. I'd been wondering how you racked up so many miles in 'Mojave'

rayra

Expedition Leader
well the fuel pump is singing it's 'stage 2' death song. Keening even with a half tank of gas. I just ordered the AC Delco pump, MU1738. $217 delivered from rockauto. No longer available on gmpartsdirect. ~$300 with tax from Autozone.

Not sure how or when I'm putting it in, yet, but it will be sitting on the 'to be installed' shelf if the old pump decides when for me.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
When my went I pulled the bed off my truck to replace it, unfortunately not an option for you. It was way easier than droping the full tank of fuel.

Sent from somewhere remote on my BlackBerry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3