How do you carry your fuel on your trailer?

John E Davies

Adventurer
But realistically, where do you put it? Yes you could perhaps fit the water under the trailer between the frame - if there's enough room. But after that you run out of room very quickly.

Build running boards and stow five gallons on each side of the fenders.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Build running boards and stow five gallons on each side of the fenders.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Rather than building running boards, for my current military trailer project I was thinking about building some frame-mounted brackets that could hold either jerry cans or ammo cans...

FrameBrackets_zpsa4ac5215.jpg

A mockup of cans against a side panel to get some dimensions for designing the brackets (the wooden tub side is actually a mold master for making a mold to make fiberglass parts for my military tub project):

MockupJerryCan_zpsdf452886.jpg

cwadej

just a guy
My trailer is a Ford Courier bed. I put a 16 gallon plastic fuel cell where the spare tire mounts, fill is in the normal spot. It's up and out of the way, protected by other parts, such as axle, leaf springs, body panels.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I got a Northern Tool sale flyer in the mail the other day. Unfortunately there are no "Northern" Tool stores in the northern state I live in, but they carry a really great selection of stuff for trailer builders.

Here's something I hadn't seen before, they call it a "15-Gallon Fuel Station":

NorthernToolFuelStation1_zps1e3c2325.jpg

Here's what the catalog says about it:

The Hy-Pro 15-Gallon Fuel Station features a durable welded steel tank that can be used with gasoline, diesel and kerosene, minimizing repeated trips to the gas station. UN/DOT compliant.

Features + Benefits

• 15-gal. capacity tank has a 10-ft. hose with gravity feed design and efficient squeeze handle dispenser (fuel station must be mounted at a higher level than receiving tanks for optimal performance)
  • Built-in shutoff valve prevents accidental draining
  • Designed to bolt onto a trailer (hardware included)
  • 39in.L x 12in.W x 15in.H
  • Ground wire with alligator clip and internally grounded hose assembly for safety

It's listed at $149.95, which makes it less expensive than three 5-gallon jerry cans plus the mounts for the cans. Here's a link to it: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200584598_200584598?isSearch=29578-1313

I haven't decided if it would be a good idea to replace jerry cans for fuel on a trailer with something like this, but here's a few superimposed images with the tank roughly the same scale as and M416-style trailer. The tank could mount either on the tongue outside the bed, or inside the bed (mounting it inside might provide some challenges for routing the hose so gravity feed worked well).

NorthernToolFuelStation2_zps2bc91014.jpg

I don't plan to do this on any of my trailers, just thought I would post it here because it's on topic.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
New Location for Roto Pax on latest build. Frame work for system is welded in to the steel frame, bolts through the fiber glass sealed with silicone. They will be attached to the RotoPax frame and laid on 3m rubber anti skid, seal will run through the 3m grey tape.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com
951 692 0958

Attachments

• Kelly Tear Drop, ground wires, fuel system and spare, jack mount 004.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop, ground wires, fuel system and spare, jack mount 004.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Kelly Tear Drop, ground wires, fuel system and spare, jack mount 005.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop, ground wires, fuel system and spare, jack mount 005.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Kelly Tear Drop, ground wires, fuel system and spare, jack mount 007.jpg
    Kelly Tear Drop, ground wires, fuel system and spare, jack mount 007.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 73

Woods

Explorer
Thanks - had to make it. Took a harbor freight caster wheel and welded it to a flat bottom trailer jack. It's not perfect though. The tire could hold air better and I bent one wheel. The caster and wheel are what you'd expect from HF. Works great in the dirt though.

I love that front wheel Woods, where did you get it.

Bob

Can fuel be carried inside a covered off-road trailer like a M101 legally? Let's say a stainless steel fuel tank..

/l | ,[____],
l--L---OlllllllO-
()_)---()_)-o-)_)
Adventure is out there :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater