How do you carry your fuel on your trailer?

Forward

My question is how do you carry fuel on your overland trailer? I already have a 3 gal. roto pack fuel can that locks to the mount. I am still planning on using it.
I have run across a good deal on a 15 gal. aluminum fuel cell that would fit perfectly on the tongue of the trailer that I am gathering parts for. It would be a permanent mount with a inline fuel pump. Is this a bad idea? I am looking for pros and cons of a set up like this. I think I uploaded a photo of one like I found.
Here are my thoughts…….
Pros:
It holds 15 gal of fuel
It is hard mounted to the trailer and would not easily walk off
I can fill my tank or yours with a hose that would run from the trailer on the trailer.

Cons:
Do I need 120lbs of fuel on the front of my trailer?
(I am guessing fuel weighs about 8lbs per gallon)
It will be next to my duel battery set up.
Due to the shape of the tank It will not go anywhere else on the trailer.
Not easy to get fuel to a location that I can’t take the trailer. (Not sure if that will be an issue or not.)
I am unsure of any issues that would come from the shaking if you will of the fuel in the tank.
(The tank is vented and has a locking fill cap. It was in the back of a rock crawler buggy.)

Attachments

• rci-2161a_s[1].jpg
    rci-2161a_s[1].jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 1,084

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero:

Tentrax538s003.jpg

Two 2-1/2 gal cans

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Septu

Explorer
I have run across a good deal on a 15 gal. aluminum fuel cell that would fit perfectly on the tongue of the trailer that I am gathering parts for. It would be a permanent mount with a inline fuel pump. Is this a bad idea? I am looking for pros and cons of a set up like this. I think I uploaded a photo of one like I found.

I've thought long and hard about this as well. And would have continued thinking about it until I bought my rear bumper. This bumper (Mopar) will allow me to use the AEV tire carrier, which will allow me to use the AEV gas caddy (I don't have the carrier or gas caddy yet - but it's on the wish list). Not quite the same, but it will give me ~10g of gas plus the 10g I plan on carrying on the trailer when traveling. Even in the remote Yukon where I can go 250 miles without seeing a gas station that's open (time of year, time of day, etc) having an extra 20g of gas will be more than enough.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Two 5 gal jerries for gasoline or diesel on one side, and the black tank right behind them is diesel for the inside Webasto Diesel Ceramic Cooktop and the Webasto hot water and space heater.

On the other side is a propane tank for the stove in the outside galley.

Fuel1.jpgFuel2.jpg

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
2-2 gallon Rotopax on the nose...1-4 gallon that fits the roof rack.

Strictly for the generator...I have never run into running out of gas while camping, but I guess it's nice to know it's there.

Forward

I am guessing it is what ever works and what you have in your budget. I think I will go with the tank mainly because it will fit my budget. If I picked up 15 gals worth of roto packs it would be several hundred dollars vs less than a hundred if I went with some other brand or type I would still have the mount to build or buy. This tank will just bolt down.

Thanks for all the input. You all have some sweet trailer set ups and I really enjoied oyur build threds. I do a thread myself when I get more "stuff" together. I will keep checking for new info over the next few weeks.

Backroad Explorer

Adventurer
Forward I'm with you on the tongue mount fuel tank.

I will be using a marine 16 gal. tank on my coleman pop up

I'm mounting my 2 sears group 31 agm platninum batteries at 75 lbs each in the rear of my pup to off set the weight on the tongue.

John E Davies

Adventurer
Trailer-024.JPG

IMHO, if at all possible, the fluids should be as close to axle center line as possible. It is simply poor engineering practice to put that much weight on the tongue.

If you mount a big tank on the tongue and put a coupe of batteries in back, your rig will be really imbalanced when you drain the fuel.....

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

jscherb

Expedition Leader
IMHO, if at all possible, the fluids should be as close to axle center line as possible. It is simply poor engineering practice to put that much weight on the tongue.

Makes you wonder how Adventure Trailers gets away with it... a factory configuration from them could include a 19-gallon water tank, two 5 gallon Jerry cans and a cargo box with a battery in it, all out on the tongue...

ATChaser_zps495adfec.jpg

Septu

Explorer
It's not a matter of "getting away with it". It's a simple matter of liquids taking up X amount of room, and there only being so much space. You have the tongue, and the box (above/in/below).

Once I get my hands on mine (June) I'll start looking into whether there's room under the floor between the frame to put a water tank. However if not, it'll go on the tongue... with the gas. And the battery.

Makes you wonder how Adventure Trailers gets away with it... a factory configuration from them could include a 19-gallon water tank, two 5 gallon Jerry cans and a cargo box with a battery in it, all out on the tongue...

ATChaser_zps495adfec.jpg

John E Davies

Adventurer

From a realistic engineering standpoint, it's not a logical location for those fluids - however it is probably the best they can come up with, given the rest of the design. Would I ever buy one?

Nope.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Septu

Explorer
From a realistic engineering standpoint, it's not a logical location for those fluids - however it is probably the best they can come up with, given the rest of the design.

But realistically, where do you put it? Yes you could perhaps fit the water under the trailer between the frame - if there's enough room. But after that you run out of room very quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater