how heavily is is jeep modified? how much do you have into it?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
mine is mild as well. 2011 JK unlimited bought brand new.

2" teraflex leveling lift,
1.25" spacers
Monroe reflex monotube shocks
Airlift 1000s
Truck lite headlights
Nokya yellow fog lights
Hella 500 HID converted driving lights
Hella 450 yellow fog lights
Realistic CB radio Wilson 2ft antenna
285 BFG ATs
MBRP light bar
Essentials for camping and surviving in the back country
class III hidden hitch
Coleman fridge and stove
energy suspension master kit with 1" lift.

To come next month

VDP full width bumper caps
Olympic winch mount
Trail FX 8500 lb winch
Cutting the stock bumper to accept winch and mount
Skid row off road front skid plate and evap skid
Surco Roof rack
Flush mount LED flood lights mounted in rear bumper,
relocating 7 pin connector flush in our bumper for the trailer
bushwacker rear corners, rocker guards, rear tailgate guard and hood scoop
Tailgate table build
MorRyde tailgate hinges
MBRP spare tire re inforcement kit
LED reverse bulbs and brake lights
Dirty Dog rear divider mesh
Vector tire rack with rotopax gas cans

2005 Skamper pop up
spring over lift with 2" on shakles
AT tires and JK wheels
Roof rack with basket and storage container for chairs etc
Repair anything that needs t0 be done.
2 Rotopax mounts on the trailer bumper

Sticker up for fun!

This is everything for our family backcountry rig. WE will be using it extensively this summer.

JKU87

Adventurer
My build is light and I intend to get it moderately built. I've had my JKU for almost 3 years and was lucky enough to have a set of BFG All Terrains already on it when I picked it up. The mods I have done are functional and not for show. First thing I did was ditch the running boards for a set of Rubicon rock rails that I got on Craigslist. The flimsy plastic bumper cover got dented up when I went out exploring some trails and I ended up taking that off the next week. A Yakima spare tire bicycle carrier was next in line as I mountain bike a lot. Jeeps tend to leak right? I've always had a small leak in the drivers side Freedom Panel which trickles down the A Pillar and was sick and tired of a wet stinky carpet so I ripped the whole thing out and pull the drain plugs when need be. I was due for new tires and just installed a set of the Cooper ST MAXX in 255/80/17 and ordered OME HD springs and ProComp shocks because I wanted a boost in height. Future plans include new bumpers and a winch. Don't think I'll get that much more advanced after that.

HRPINDC

Adventurer
My build is zero! I bought a Rubicon so I didn't have to build it. Two years later it is still stock. I will likely address a few weaknesses this summer, like headlights and the Terraflex rear tire mount, maybe a few other little things. But no plans for a big build.

I did a complete build on my YJ many moons ago and now just don't have the time or the space to do it again. Plus I figure I'm more likely to get more of my money back when I sell my mostly stock Rubi versus selling a heavily modified Sport.

This is my plan anyway.....we'll see how that goes. I saw some wheels yesterday that I really like.......

rlynch356

Defyota
In accordance with my own rules.. I don't count..
also in accordance to my rules i have put Exactly 1/2 of the money i've made by selling left over parts from one of my other cars on eBay. The other 1/2 goes to the Jeep loan..
No family funds were used in the build of this jeep :)

I've got a plan but, i'll get the stuff when i need it and when i make sure i actually need it. That may mean i'll break some stuff too, but part of the fun.

GFA

Adventurer
I never keep count and if I die before my wife I hope she doesn't sell anything for what I told her it cost.

I'm done putting money into this turd though, no matter how much it's sugar coated it's still a turd underneath.

2010 JKU.
2.5 Tera flex and bilstiens
5.13 gears and true trac rear
JWS evo 2
Pioneer touch screen for Bluetooth ability
Crappy winch bumper with an equally crappy engo 10k winch
Gobi stealth
40" light bar that now resides on a shelf, that thing robbed 2mpg's
KC HID driving lights
Black rock wheels and 285 duratracs
Rubicon X rock sliders
Fridge on a custom made and lined storage shelf
Other oddball junkets and trinkets..

The M416 was a whole nother crack habit..

Last edited:

K2ZJ

Explorer
I was out and I couldn't get the Jeep to start to get me home. My wife came and picked me up and called our insurance company for a tow. I think my wife's quote sums my Jeep up best. When being asked for a description and if it was modified I heard her say "I think the better question is what isn't modified?". That sure turned my day around a bit. Dollar wise I also don't want to know.

kojackJKU

My build is zero! I bought a Rubicon so I didn't have to build it. Two years later it is still stock. I will likely address a few weaknesses this summer, like headlights and the Terraflex rear tire mount, maybe a few other little things. But no plans for a big build.

I did a complete build on my YJ many moons ago and now just don't have the time or the space to do it again. Plus I figure I'm more likely to get more of my money back when I sell my mostly stock Rubi versus selling a heavily modified Sport.

This is my plan anyway.....we'll see how that goes. I saw some wheels yesterday that I really like.......

watch it, its a slippery slope!

JeepSafariDigest

Seeker of Lost Trails
As one of the few Jeep drivers who drives a 2 door.. my objective is to reduce the weight, carry as little as possible. With camping now out of the question, this reduces the weight eve more.. typically all the gear is located in the cargo area at all times.. with this out... I can again focus on other things that would help make the travel easier. I do miss the highlift jack, but it was just too heavy and was becoming more of an ornament than actually being used. I still would like the Highrock tray system in the cargo area. but the wife has suggested a hard top.. be it Jeff's version , WildBoar's T top or the standard freedom top.. again the balancing act continues.

JeepSafariDigest

Seeker of Lost Trails
KoJack.. we've had this in roll cage system back in 2004 but I never finished my alterations.. the issue was that the metal bars and mounting hardware are steel and simply coated.. for less than 1 year, they nearly rusted out.. I was preparing to alter this design myself by using lacross poles.. lighter and aluminum.. I guess having a shop (my wife's) could be used for this.. making the brackets i need to support the heavy plastic tray Highrock offers.

This was our setup in 2004:

images

But here's what we're going to do this time..

Bestop-HighRock-4x4-41437-01-Lower-Cargo-Rack-Bracket-for-03-12-TJ-JK-2-Door.jpg

I mean it would be more time consuming if I allowed my shop to create this when HighRock as the hardware for less than 80 buck and I outsource to Play It Again Sport for the lacrosse poles. This could be a future jerry rig project of mine..

Seeing how I can reduce the weight of the support poles.. and I'm not sure what the weight of the tray is.. I need to find a lighter tray.. I've also seen at one site, which scapes me.. there is a company that create roll cage/bar extensions.. I wonder if this could be incorporated into my design and forgoing the tray hardware.

I've got it.. I just had a thought as for a storage tray.. and my wife's company can make this for me.. See this molle setup..

MOLLE2.jpg

My wife's company can make sheet run of these and send them out to be anodized coated. The storage tray in the roll cage would be like this sheet with the holes to strap things down.

Just sent a text to wife:

(10:31:27 AM) Me: think the shop can make something like this.. I just need the holy sheet not the frame.. http://home.comcast.net/~mrfusion/Jeep/MOLLE2.jpg with the highrock storage system in the roll cage I'm searching for alternatives instead of using the heavy plastic tray.. a few bends and holes on this tray would be lighter and fit with in with the mounting hardware on the roll cage system
(10:32:56 AM) Wife: Cool, probably wouldn't be too difficult.
(10:33:07 AM) Me: Yeah Me erm I Mean Us

Last edited:

JeepSafariDigest

Seeker of Lost Trails
Thanks for the offer KoJack.. but my wife's company already has a plating company that does all their stuff.. textured anodized, gold plated, silver plated etc.. If they are backlogged.. I'll see to it that I send you two of these to coat for us.. of course you would get to keep one as payment.. assuming you'll work that way. Let me get this drawn up first then we'll go from there..

Hum.. seems ole JeepGirl is full of surprises today.. looks like her company is going to start working on my tablet dash mount design..

Last edited:
I never keep count and if I die before my wife I hope she doesn't sell anything for what I told her it cost.

I'm done putting money into this turd though, no matter how much it's sugar coated it's still a turd underneath.

2010 JKU.
2.5 Tera flex and bilstiens
5.13 gears and true trac rear
JWS evo 2
Pioneer touch screen for Bluetooth ability
Crappy winch bumper with an equally crappy engo 10k winch
Gobi stealth
40" light bar that now resides on a shelf, that thing robbed 2mpg's
KC HID driving lights
Black rock wheels and 285 duratracs
Rubicon X rock sliders
Fridge on a custom made and lined storage shelf
Other oddball junkets and trinkets..

The M416 was a whole nother crack habit..
why do you say that have you had problems with it?

kojackJKU

Thanks for the offer KoJack.. but my wife's company already has a plating company that does all their stuff.. textured anodized, gold plated, silver plated etc.. If they are backlogged.. I'll see to it that I send you two of these to coat for us.. of course you would get to keep one as payment.. assuming you'll work that way. Let me get this drawn up first then we'll go from there..

Hum.. seems ole JeepGirl is full of surprises today.. looks like her company is going to start working on my tablet dash mount design..

Do they only do plating or powder coating as well? I could use them for some plating stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk