How would you outfit this custom LJ?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This isn't quite an overlanding accessory, but it sure came in handy this morning:

AlexPlowing1.jpg

AlexPlowing2.jpg

BPage

Adventurer
Really wish I could get one of those jscherb modular hardtops....
GR8TOP's seems to be dragging their feet, and I am getting really impatient.

The rear barn door drawings along with the modular top and potential for a RTT make it ideal for my storage needs and application for expeditionary travel.

What do you say Jscherb, want to work on one for me?
:)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Really wish I could get one of those jscherb modular hardtops....
GR8TOP's seems to be dragging their feet, and I am getting really impatient.

The rear barn door drawings along with the modular top and potential for a RTT make it ideal for my storage needs and application for expeditionary travel.

What do you say Jscherb, want to work on one for me?
:)
No thanks, I've got so many new project ideas and designs I want to build - I'd never get to them if I stopped to make additional copies of the old projects for other people :).

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
one more for the list...

Not sure which of your threads this would/should go under but I had another thought..Just something to add to your already long list of stuff... :)
I know some folks make the bulkhead that goes between the front and rear in a half cab configuration CJ or TJ. You can get them in fiberglass now since finding a good metal one is difficult. My old Scrambler had on with its half cab and I always felt cheated out of usable space in the cab. My thought was to take one of these and modify it to allow for some storage areas and or places to mount speakers. It would protrude into the "bed" area but would let you have additional dry storage accessible from inside. Wouldn't work on the Goucho since the spare is there but would on most other half cabs...just a thought. :)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Not sure which of your threads this would/should go under but I had another thought..Just something to add to your already long list of stuff... :)
I know some folks make the bulkhead that goes between the front and rear in a half cab configuration CJ or TJ. You can get them in fiberglass now since finding a good metal one is difficult. My old Scrambler had on with its half cab and I always felt cheated out of usable space in the cab. My thought was to take one of these and modify it to allow for some storage areas and or places to mount speakers. It would protrude into the "bed" area but would let you have additional dry storage accessible from inside. Wouldn't work on the Goucho since the spare is there but would on most other half cabs...just a thought. :)

How about an extended cab? That way you get the extra space behind the seats you want, and you also get more recline space for the seats?

BobExtCab4-1.jpg

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Yeah... have to go with awkward...lol! If the Jeep were about a foot longer maybe it would visually fit better? Like the J8 or something... But for those of us with CJ8s/LJs I'd think just some boxes affixed to the bulkhead could be of help. Speakers are almost impossible to place back there and there never is enough storage space even with a center console and the tiny glove box. Adding some speaker enclosures would help balance the sound inside and maybe a larger "trunk" inbetween would give some safe, out of eyesight storage without having to go full top to keep it dry.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Yeah... have to go with awkward...lol! If the Jeep were about a foot longer maybe it would visually fit better? Like the J8 or something... But for those of us with CJ8s/LJs I'd think just some boxes affixed to the bulkhead could be of help. Speakers are almost impossible to place back there and there never is enough storage space even with a center console and the tiny glove box. Adding some speaker enclosures would help balance the sound inside and maybe a larger "trunk" inbetween would give some safe, out of eyesight storage without having to go full top to keep it dry.
Here's a photo of speakers in a Brute-length half cab:

Interior.jpg

And this would be my solution for more storage - the bed that's left when you put a half cab on a TJ or LJ is so small anyway I wouldn't want to permanently waste the space with a bulkhead, so I'd do a removable "pickup box" like this:

HalfCabBox1.jpg

Or perhaps "saddlebag" boxes that might look like these wireframe concepts:

FenderwellBoxes1.jpg

And while I'm at it, here's a few other ideas:

FullBoxes.jpg

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
I see what your saying and like the idea of the bed boxes. My biggest issue with them is its hard to find one of quality that actually fits like a glove and doesn't cost both legs and an arm. Plus it would really have to be removable yet able to be fully secured. I just thought with your skills you could modify a fiberglass bulkhead pretty easy and maybe even use some off the shelf type boxes with maybe an access door or something?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I just returned from my 6100 mile trip to Portland, Oregon and back, and I can report that the tailgate/spare carrier "tween" jerry can rack worked perfectly, not a peep out of it. Luckily I didn't need to use the extra fuel, but it was a very comforting thought knowing it was there when I was traveling desolate interstates where there could be 75 miles between gas stops. Other than the broken shock bolt, the LJ Safari performed great, with the Safari Cab keeing things comfy and very quiet inside even on interstates where the speed limit is 75 mph and traffic often travels much faster.

So now that I'm back, I've removed the jerry can carrier - I only built it for this trip. During the ample "thinking time" on the trip I've come up with another jerry can carrier design I'm going to build a prototype of, so even though this one performed perfectly, I'll retire this one. I'll post photos of the new design when I build it.

TweenRemoved.jpg

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've been working on a new cargo system that attaches to the spare tire mount. The system starts with a mounting stud that goes through the hole in the spare.

AccessoryRackStud1.jpg

AccessoryRackStud2.jpg

So far I've made two different accessory mounts that work with the new design cargo system.

Here's a Hi-Lift mount:

HiLiftMount1.jpg

The nuts holding the jack in place are 3/4", so the Jeep factory lug wrench fits them, making it easy to remove/install the jack.

And a Jerry Can mount:

JerryCanHolder2.jpg

Both of these mounts easily attach to the stud that comes through the center hole of the spare with one bolt, which is also 3/4".

But I think I prefer the Hi-Lift to be mounted on the roof rack and the Jerry can on the spare.

JerryCanHolder3.jpg

mbybee

That looks really nice! I think I'd go with the jerrycan on the back, and the highlift on the roof (aesthetically and practically)

Viggen

Just here...
Tell me more about this style hardtop for a Scrambler. The Alaskan Postal tops are basically unobtainium and I like this design more than the rounded edges of the other hardtops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater