How would you outfit this custom LJ?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Tell me more about this style hardtop for a Scrambler. The Alaskan Postal tops are basically unobtainium and I like this design more than the rounded edges of the other hardtops.
When I designed the Safari Cab, I had the Jeep factory World Cab in mind; the two share some styling cues, but the Safari Cab is designed to be much more modular and configurable than the World Cab - the Safari Cab has removable side panels, for example, that can be replaced with canvas roll-up side curtains. Here's are photos of a Safari Cab and a World Cab for comparison:

SafariAndWC4.jpg

Because of the modular design, the Safari Cab can be molded in lengths from a half cab up to Scrambler length, or any custom length in between.

Here's a photo/drawing concept showing what the Safari Cab would look like on a Scrambler:

SafariScrambler.jpg

So far, I've only LJ full hardtops and TJ/LJ half cabs, but any of the other lengths could be done. Since I don't have a Scrambler anymore (I sold the one with the World Cab above a few years ago), I don't have any plans at this time to mold a Scrambler Safari Cab.

Viggen

Just here...
Well damn. I guess its the rounded factory style hardtop then. There is a company or two out there that are making them. Yours is a good looking top. Great job.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm getting ready to try mounting the roof top tent on the top of the Safari Cab. Step one was to get rack bars that can handle the weight, so I picked up a set of Surco XJ Cherokee rack channel adapters. I was able to make them work directly with the cross bars that came with the RTT, so no other hardware should be necessary.

SurcoAdapters.jpg

I've mounted these new bars directly over the locations of the roll-bar tie-in brackets that are part of the Safari Cab, so any weight on these bars will be directly transferred to the roll bar and won't stress the fiberglass at all. The Surco brackets along with these bars are very sturdy, so I have no concerns about supporting the weight.

I'll be putting the RTT on these bars as soon as I decide whether I want it opening to the side or to the back :).

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
SurcoAdapters.jpg

I'll be putting the RTT on these bars as soon as I decide whether I want it opening to the side or to the back :).

TRY BOTH

I personally like it off of the back, then you can use an awning on the sides, and even without the awning you still have cover when you want to get into the rear of the truck.

If you do not like it, just unbolt it, slide it around, and you are done.

I also like the idea of flipping it over the hood, but you need a bull bar for the ladder to mount against if you did that. (but it looks cool, and only requires your footprint to fit the tent which is really nice.

Oh and another bonus of off the rear is again the footprint. If you are in a narrow space your jeep can drive through, the back works where the side may not.

jscherb

Expedition Leader

I also like the idea of flipping it over the hood, but you need a bull bar for the ladder to mount against if you did that. (but it looks cool, and only requires your footprint to fit the tent which is really nice.

I think the LJ is too long for that to work out - the tent would end about a foot in front of the windshield, which would put the ladder at a crazy angle.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Good point, I forgot that you can not just slide the thing all the way up to the windshield, owing to the desire to stay over the roll bar mounts.

Well I am sure you will enjoy it no matter where you mount it. And if you don't, let me know, I will pay the shipping to have it sent out here. My wife and I can use it for sure. Don't get me wrong, it will be a hardship, but we will bear it for you my friend. ;)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've got all the necessary bits and pieces ready, so as soon as I get a nice day to work outside I'll install the roof top tent. I plan to install it to open off the side, so here's what the setup will look like when installed:

RTTInstall1.jpg

Xrunner

Explorer

Is this the Harbor Freight trailer that was mentioned earlier in your threads? Are you running adapters for the Jeep wheels?

Thank you for sharing your ideas and builds... it's inspiring to see Jeeps taken to whole new levels.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Wow Jeff, that looks really nice... I really like it on the trailer, super job!

Is this the Harbor Freight trailer that was mentioned earlier in your threads? Are you running adapters for the Jeep wheels?

Unless I am much mistaken, he said that they naturally ran the same bolt pattern as the jeep does, ergo he should not require any adapters.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
There's more detail on the HF frame build/mods in the my trailer build thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/68035-Bolt-together-fiberglass-Jeep-tub-trailer-kit, but:

The Harbor Freight trailer I used does have the same bolt pattern as the TJ/YJ/XJ - 5 on 4 1/2. But there are several issues to address if you want to run Jeep wheels and Jeep-sized tires:

1. The wheel mounting surface on the axle is too close to the frame rail to fit a wider tire than the small tire that comes with the kit. Most people would say the axle is too narrow, but for my application I narrowed the frame 2" on each side, which provided the clearance I needed. It was a lot easier to narrow the frame than widen the axle.

2. If you're planning to run Jeep steel wheels, they should fit fine on the HF hubs once the frame is narrowed/axle is widened, but if you're planning to run Jeep alloys like I am, the center hole in the wheel is smaller than the diameter of the trailer hub (any trailer hub that I'm aware of, not just the HF hubs), so a spacer is required to move the wheel out far enough so the hub body doesn't have to go into the hole in the wheel. With 1.25" spacers, my Jeep Moab wheels fit fine.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Wow Jeff, that looks really nice... I really like it on the trailer, super job!

Thanks!

I haven't decided whether I like the tent better on the trailer or on the Jeep. It's nice to be able to choose, depending on what type of outing is planned, the tent could be mounted in the best place for that outing. It only takes a few minutes to swap the tent from one to the other.

RTTOpenFrontBack1.jpg

SafariRTT1.jpg

reece146

Automotive Artist
I've never been a fan of large roof loads on a vehicle, makes the CG too high. If it were my setup I'd be inclined to use the trailer with tent all the time. If the off-road portion of a trip is too extreme to pull a trailer then I suggest you really don't want a high mounted roof load either.

Of course with a setup like your trailer you will end up having people come talk to you every time you stop for gas or whatever. At least that is my experience with the Starcraft. People like unique stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater