How would you outfit this custom LJ?

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
How much is that Exogate rated to hold? It sure seems like a lot of weight even with a reinforced door. Does the Exogate do anything to the door, or just the hinges. I only ask because again if it did nothing to the door itself that would seem like a lot of weight.

Looks really cool Jeff, and I really like the innovative Smarter not Harder concept of mounting it up with the tire carrier. Why hasn't anyone else thought of that yet!?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
How much is that Exogate rated to hold? It sure seems like a lot of weight even with a reinforced door. Does the Exogate do anything to the door, or just the hinges. I only ask because again if it did nothing to the door itself that would seem like a lot of weight.
The way the Exogate works, the tailgate actually bolts to the Exogate frame and swings with it, so it's like the tailgate is mounted to the Exogate, not the other way around. The Exogate is also tied into the roll bar for extra rigidity.

The manufacturer doesn't publish a formal rating for it, but I've done the 225-lb. gorilla test on it:

TailgateTest1.jpg

Here's a video version of the test: http://www.long-boy.com/video/jscherb/Tailgate_reinforcement_rotated_HQ.mp4

Because of the Exogate, I have no concerns about the weight this cargo rack and the jerry can will add.

Looks really cool Jeff, and I really like the innovative Smarter not Harder concept of mounting it up with the tire carrier. Why hasn't anyone else thought of that yet!?
I'm always trying to find simpler ways to do things; ways that integrate nicely with the features and bolt holes that already exist on the Jeep. This one was pretty obvious to me, I don't know why it hasn't been done before, it's very easy to mount and with the Exogate, extremely rigid and strong.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I got the bracket set made up, although this is a mockup using some rusty old thinwall tubing I had laying around. Now that I've got everything prototyped, I'll remake the brackets using new, thicker wall tubing. For the moment, the basket is held to the brackets with a pair of vise-grip clamps.

HFRack10.jpg

HFRack11.jpg

HFRack12.jpg

And without the jerry can.

HFRack13.jpg

The rack will sit about 1/2" higher when it's done, I haven't put the stake bolts into these mockup brackets.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I have a thought for you Jeff. Seeing as you are considering this for an overland vehicle, or at least a camping vehicle, you may want to put some nice towel bars below the brackets. Just some simple thing metal that can hang down under either side of the basket mounts. That way when you need a place to hang a kitchen towel, or a swimsuit etc... May as well right?

irish1371

Adventurer
the work here is great i love your ideas for the lj.

I do have 1 concern, even with the longer wheel base of the LJ over the TJ; I fear you may be biasing the weight too much to the rear with a tent and your fiberglass front end. You can always tell the jeeps with the weight biased to the rear ie 40/60 or worse. they go up hills like a bulldog humping your neighbors leg. They don't get far before someone gets pissed

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've got a few more details to finish, like gussets in the corners of the angles of the brackets, but I paused to do a quick weight test to determine what additional reinforcements might be necessary. This is 120 lbs. of cinder blocks, which is more weight than I'd think would be put on this rack in actual use:

HFRackTest1.jpg

I think it's perfect for its intended usage, which would be a large cooler.

It's very rigid and sturdy even with that weight on it (but don't try this without a tailgate reinforcement like the Gr8Tops Exogate ;))

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've finished up the basic assembly of the tailgate cargo rack. I've still got a little finish welding to do, then prep/prime/paint, but before it gets painted all black I'll post some detail shots while it's in colors that are easier to see.

Here's an overall view:

HFRackFinalAssy1.jpg

I've gusseted the top angle with some curved bits left over from cutting the HF rack down to a smaller size:

HFRackFinalAssy2.jpg

This view shows the adjusting holes. I've got 32" tires, so it's raised about 2" to the second hole. It can go another 4" higher, so it will fit over 37" tires.

HFRackFinalAssy3.jpg

It hugs the tailgate pretty closely, only moving the spare carrier 1/8" further out from the tailgate. (The Exogate has already moved the spare carrier 1" out). There's also plenty of clearance for the Safari Cab's rear wiper.

HFRackFinalAssy4.jpg

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
Outstanding!

To be honest, every aspect of your work is outstanding, from design, prototyping, fabrication and final version.

I like how you design in simplicity, something which is a very rare skill to achieve.

Thanks for sharing.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
That is great Jeff! spot on perfect, and likely the most marketable product you have done yet. I only say that because so very many people put those things on their trucks all the time.

Personally I dislike the loss of windows and line of sight, but if you are going with a rack like that I should think yours is the best choice.

Thanks for sharing!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
That is great Jeff! spot on perfect, and likely the most marketable product you have done yet. I only say that because so very many people put those things on their trucks all the time.

Personally I dislike the loss of windows and line of sight, but if you are going with a rack like that I should think yours is the best choice.

Thanks for sharing!
Thanks. I haven't decided yet if I feel like trying to find someone interested in marketing either the cargo rack or the jerry can holder. The fun for me is designing and building the first prototype, beyond that it begins to feel like work, which is something I gave up some years ago :).

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
:D Yep, I recall hearing (reading) that a time, or two, someplace along the lines... ;)

Well it is a good product. Perhaps someone will pick it up and run with it. Then again G8tops would be the obvious given that they have the required door support set up. Who knows, but they would be unwise not to follow what you do on these forums just so they can come up with new product ideas.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Today I'm at the soft top company in Michigan, we've fitted a new set of roll-up side curtains to the Safari Cab. This set has a few sewing/manufacturing improvements over the prior sets.

SoftSides12-1.jpg

SoftSides12-2.jpg

I plan to drive with the soft side curtains on my off-pavement trip to Colorado in two weeks. Total trip will be just under 5000 miles, so it'll be a good test of the side curtains on- and off-road.

Jakes01234

Explorer
that looks fantastic..
So when can we buy hardtops like yours? or are they available and i just havent seen them?
Any plan on making one for a 4 door JK ? I dont have one but just curious..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater