How would you outfit this custom LJ?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
that looks fantastic..
So when can we buy hardtops like yours? or are they available and i just havent seen them?
Thanks. I've licensed the hardtop design to Gr8Tops. They're working on getting them to market, recently they've been showing several pre-production examples at Jeep shows - a red one and a silver one. Forum rules don't let me say more than that because I'm not a vendor.

Any plan on making one for a 4 door JK ? I dont have one but just curious..

I have done a design for JKU hardtop, it's got the same features as the LJ/TJ tops - it's modular, the hard sides can be removed and swapped for roll-up side curtains, it's got a rear barn door, it can support a roof-top tent, etc. It's a little more angular to better integrate with the styling of the JK. If I ever decide to trade one of my LJ's for a JKU I'll probably build it ;).

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Maybe so.

It just looks like the top overhangs the sides by a good three inches in the driver rear corner. This has me wondering about how well it seals. I know your quality and craftsmanship Jeff, so if you say it works then I trust you!

By the by why did you go with two windows per side curtain rather than just one larger one?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Maybe so.

It just looks like the top overhangs the sides by a good three inches in the driver rear corner. This has me wondering about how well it seals. I know your quality and craftsmanship Jeff, so if you say it works then I trust you!
That's definitely a shadow. The soft sides are held to the bottom of the roof panel with an aluminum retainer strip that uses the same bolt holes as the hard sides. Since the aluminum strip is the same width as the top flange of the hard sides, the soft side is in exactly the same location as the hard side, which is about 1/2" back from the edge of the roof drip rail, and that's perfectly consistent from front to back. And sealing is fine.

By the by why did you go with two windows per side curtain rather than just one larger one?
Just a style thing. Since the hard sides have two windows I decided to put two on the soft sides as well.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Full summer configuration now. I'll run this way until probably late September, except for the long drive to Colorado coming up, which I'll do with the full doors on.

SummerConfig1.jpg

SummerConfig2.jpg

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Yes Jeff, that really looks very good Sir.

I did not notice the addition of the third break light, that looks very nice up there as well.

Makes me miss my CJ. I may have to go pick up a wrangler just so I can have the doors and top of again.

Brian

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Yes Jeff, that really looks very good Sir.

I did not notice the addition of the third break light, that looks very nice up there as well.

The brake light has been there since I built the hardtop. It's made from an XJ Cherokee light - I like to raid the Jeep parts bin whenever possible to keep the "family" look. I cut off the back of the housing, installed LED grid elements, and sealed up the back so it surface-mounts on the roof instead of requiring big hole to go into like the unmodified light did.

CHMSL4.jpg

Makes me miss my CJ. I may have to go pick up a wrangler just so I can have the doors and top of again.

Brian
Having the hard roof and the roll up sides is a perfect option for me. I really don't like the sun beating down on me, so I almost never want to be completely topless. Rolling up the sides and taking the doors off gives a very nice open feeling, but also some protection from the sun and rain. And when you roll down the side curtains, because of the hard roof, it's as quiet as a full hardtop, so I can cruise on the highway all day without fatigue. For me this configuration is just perfect (which is why I built it ;)).

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I am surprised that the sides are so quiet. That is amazing to me.

Yes I personally would keep a bikini top on mine, or the soft top with the sides and rear out. The CJ was advantageous in that the windshield was really easy to put down, so when I did put that down I was, of course, without a top as well. That was a fun thing to do as well, but I really miss the doors and soft sides off a great deal this time of year.

Well the brake is great. I think that is a super way to go for your needs.

Brian

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Do you have a source for those lights? Did you just glue them in?

I found the light panels on eBay. I epoxied them in place, and then epoxied a piece of stainless steel sheet over the back, sealing the entire unit from the elements.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I am surprised that the sides are so quiet. That is amazing to me.

There's no drumming of the window panels at all. The hard roof of course doesn't make any noise, so since the side panels aren't flapping or drumming, it's really quiet. The only increase in noise over a hardtop is when you pass a big truck, since the soft sides don't insulate against incoming sound as well as the hard sides/glass windows, you'll hear that truck a little more than you would when driving with the full hard sides. But just cruising down the highway at 75 mph you can carry on a normal level conversation or use your cell phone without any problems at all, if you were blindfolded you'd have trouble telling you were in a soft-side vehicle.

Last edited:

Mashurst

Adventurer
Ebay... Hum... No part numbers or manufacturer? I guess I'll have to find some myself. Thanks for the cool idea. I got some drop in replacements LED bulbs for my XJ and I have not been impressed. I want a third break light that gets peoples attention. I hate getting rear ended.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Ebay... Hum... No part numbers or manufacturer? I guess I'll have to find some myself. Thanks for the cool idea. I got some drop in replacements LED bulbs for my XJ and I have not been impressed. I want a third break light that gets peoples attention. I hate getting rear ended.

Try this on for size then...

http://www.amazon.com/Signal-Dynamics-Brake-Module-1004/dp/B001F85OUM

I have one for my motorcycle, and I like it a lot. There are many other brands, but I like the pattern of this one the best by far. Check out the youtube videos of it and such, it may work nicely for you. (and yes you can put them on cars)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I was working in the garage and a heavy thunderstorm passed by so I snapped this photo of the Safari roll-up sides undergoing a leak test :). (They don't leak, but I already knew that).

SidesLeakTest.jpg

The LJ is all kitted out for my trip to Colorado starting this week. I'll be spending most of five days off pavement, so I'm bringing an extra spare along just in case. The soft sides will be really nice for the trip - rolled down for quiet on the Interstates, rolled up to enjoy the mountain air off road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater