How would you outfit this custom LJ?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Roll Bar -> Molle Bar

Recently I got a new backpack, it's what's called a "tactical" style - lots of Molle webbing for attaching accessory pouches and things. I outfitted it with some pouches, and that started me thinking about new uses of the Molle system in Jeeps. I did some searching on the internet and found a number of Molle panels that mount on the tailgate or on the back of the seats, but I've done something a little different - Molle sleeves for the roll bars. I made up a prototype set for my LJ, although these could work in JK's as well and any other vehicles with roll bars. I've put Molle sleeves on most locations in the LJ for test purposes.

This photo shows the sleeves on the front extensions, the main hoop, and the rear extensions. I've put a pouch on the passenger side front extension for Heather's sunglasses along with a couple of small pouches up front. There's also a larger pouch in the center of the main hoop, and a few on the rear extension.

MolleBarDoneFront_zps1bcb41ce.jpg

I haven't mounted anything on the back of the main hoop yet but in this next photo you can see the Molle sleeve there; and a better view of the rear extension sleeve with three pouches mounted.

MolleBarDoneBack_zpsfd9a0547.jpg

Nothing mounted so far on the driver's side rear extension, but here's a close-up of the Molle sleeve:

MolleBarDoneBack2_zpsbf35b643.jpg

Also some Molle sleeves bottom of the rear extensions:

MolleBarDoneRear_zps60b456e9.jpg

I've just finished making up these prototypes, and already I'm finding them really handy. I'll be adding a few more pouches, flashlight holders, etc.

PS: (Molle is pronounced "Molly", but for this project I'll make believe it rhymes with "Roll", because "Molle Bars" sounds cool .

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I can't believe that doesn't already exist. Brilliant!

I did a lot of searching, and couldn't find anything. I was surprised too.

A few more photos of the Molle Bar system in my LJ...

Here's a view of the extension bar over the passenger door. I've got a small Molle pouch, a Case Logic pouch intended for an MP3 player, my swiss army knife pouch and a sunglass pouch. The MP3 and knife pouches are intended to be hung off your belt, but they mount on the Molle Bars just fine. I think pretty much anything that's intended to hang off your belt could be hung on a Molle bar.

MolleBarDoneFront3_zpsa2bf06d8.jpg

A few more pouches on the rear bars:

MolleBarDoneRear2_zps220e2798.jpg

MolleBarDoneRear3_zpsb1b480c1.jpg

And using simple Molle straps, the umbrella that's been on the floor between the door and my seat is now out of the way:

MolleBarDoneFront2_zpsabcb9f7c.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
If I weren't posting this photo today, I'd probably be posting a photo of the Jeep with the plow on it clearing snow off the driveway... we missed the blizzard of '15 by being in Florida! Drove to Key West today, took this photo along the way. Was scoping out U.S. 1 from Key Largo to Key West for a bicycle ride I'm planning, hopefully for this fall.

Keys1_zps3c9da051.jpg

I was here one year ago this month, and this past July drove the Jeep to the Arctic Ocean, so within a year it's been as far north as you can drive in the continental U.S., and as far south (twice).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Here's another Molle idea... this one attaches to the hardtop bolts (or bolts in those holes if a soft top is installed), and it sits on the inner fender. I haven't decided on the exact size of this one yet, the one in the photos is a prototype.

With the rear seat folded up, you can see the entire panel. I've only got two fairly small pouches on the panel at the moment.

MolleFender1_zps96304e7d.jpg

Part of the Molle panel is in front of the rear seat...

MolleFender2_zps7d24e1c4.jpg

and part is behind the rear seat...

MolleFender3_zpsd5469c1e.jpg

Two lengths are possible, this is the shorter of the two. I may sew a longer prototype which would go further forward, almost to the back of the main roll bar.

MolleFender4_zps44d5b4e6.jpg

For years I've had a cargo net in this same position, which has been really handy but leaves everything open to view; maybe I'll just get some larger Molle pouches and store all the same stuff inside the pouches.

NetLower2.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A nice addition to the Molle stuff in my Jeep, this first aid kit will have a permanent home right here on the rear roll bar. Picked it up on eBay, it's billed as a "Tactical Trauma Kit", and comes stuffed with all kinds of first aid gear, more stuff than I ever hope to need. http://www.ebay.com/itm/15108431047...49&var=450192035920&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

On the Molle sleeve on the rear of the roll bar, it's easily and quickly accessible, but out of the way. And because the Molle sleeve is held on to the roll bar with Velcro, it's very easy to rip it off the roll bar and take it to wherever it's needed.

FirstAid1_zpsffca343a.jpg

And because the color and cross clearly marks it as a first aid kit, and because of the windows on each side of my hardtop barn door, it's clearly visible from the outside, so it should be easy to notice in an emergency.

FirstAid2_zps905cced4.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Photos from Easter Jeep Safari a few weeks ago...

The tail gunner one of the days was a friend of mine from my Scrambler days, so at the end of the trail we had to pose his very cool CJ-8 and my LJ-8 together...

Trust1_zpsykv4kaaa.jpg

On the trails:

3D2_zpsbh3l3y3g.jpg

3D4_zpsaelmfu5a.jpg

Deadman3_zpsabhjagsh.jpg

LongCanyon2_zps8d6l56bh.jpg

BullCanyon4_zpsi03xufqx.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Great shots Jeff. How many miles on your LJ now?
Two spares?

137,000. Still washes up nice after the dusty trails :).

DustGone1_zpsdr86yh7g.jpg

I carry two spares on trips like this to avoid either being delayed on the highway if I get a flat, or missing a trail day trying to get a flat fixed or a new tire out in Moab. With two spares I can always ignore fixing a flat until it's convenient because I've got an extra spare to rely on. I've never needed even one spare on a trip like this, but it's nice not to have to worry about it. And no big deal carrying a spare up top, doesn't use up cargo space I need for something else.

On the Alaska trip from NY to the north end of the Dalton Highway on the Arctic Ocean, I carried three spares - one on the back, one inside and one on top. The Dalton Highway is notorious for flats from junk falling off trucks, and there are no services for 500 miles between Fairbanks and Deadhorse. On that trip it isn't unlikely that you'd actually end up using two spares. I picked up a bolt in one of the tires on the Dalton, but it held air so I didn't change it until I got back to Fairbanks.

TireBolt_zpsb84d80ae.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online