How would you outfit this custom LJ?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Last week I installed the winch on the LJ to test a new ground anchor and while I had it in place I decided to sew a new cover for it. When I first built the winch mount, I sewed a winch cover from vinyl and it worked well but there was some deterioration starting so I decided to do one out of factory soft top fabric.

SoftTopWinchCover.jpg

It took a lot of wrestling at the sewing machine to get the stiff soft top fabric to sew into a form-fitting cover, but I'm happy with the result.

In case you haven't been following the "Land Rover ideas for Jeeps" thread, the ground anchor idea came from a piece in a Land Rover magazine and I adapted the idea into a very small anchor point that bolts to the aluminum sand ladders I always carry on the trail. Here's a video of the test, there's more detail in the Land Rover thread.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
glad to see this thing staying relatively stock, looks great
Thanks. Everything I've done can be unbolted and returned to stock, including the custom CJ front clip. Nothing I've installed has required mods to the Jeep. I've kept the factory front clip - in case I ever decide to sell it, I'll remove the CJ clip and replace the TJ clip and remove the Safari Cab and put a factory top on.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The other day Overland Outfitters sent me a couple of new bags to play with. These bags are part of their upcoming "Gladiator Storage System", but I tried them out in the LJ.

GSSBagsInLJ.jpg

I added the patches, they're not part of the production bag design.

GSSBagsInLJ2.jpg

These bags work very well with the seat bands I sewed a while back. I've already sent Overland Outfitters the patterns and design details for the seat bands (these are late model seats, there's also a version for early models) and they haven't committed to producing the bands yet, but since their Sherpa Messenger bag and now these bags work well with the bands, maybe I can convince them to release the bands along with these bags for the TJ.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
These bags came from the company with a request for me to stage some photos of typical uses of the bags (they don't have a lot of stuff at the factory to stage photos). So I did these photos for them...

Tow kit (the black version of the bag):

TowKit.jpg

Tool kit (with their Tool roll):

ToolKit.jpg

Picnic kit (with their Cutlery Keeper):

PicnicKit.jpg

If anyone has any other ideas I'll try to do a photo of that idea too and send it to them.

BTW here's what they look like without the patches. This photo is in the JKU.

GSSBagsInJKU.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Also yesterday I talked to Overland Outfitters and got them to agree to make samples of the late model TJ Molle/Zip&Go seat bands for testing. (Zip&Go is the name they're now using for their bags that attach with a zipper, like the bags in my last post). They said they probably wouldn't get to them for about a month but they'll send me some for testing when they're available. Once I get their samples and verify the fit they'll be able to offer seat-back bag products for the TJ if they see some demand. They're not convinced there's much demand for the TJ anymore, but I told them that since their existing bags for other models will work with these TJ seat bands, it wasn't much effort or investment for them to support the TJ/LJ.

I've actually done two Molle/Zip&Go bands for the late model TJ, they're doing samples of the lower one, in this photo I've got a Zip&Go bag on the lower band and a Molle pouch on the upper band. Both bands slip onto the seat and remove in seconds so they can be used just for an expedition or left on all the time; I leave mine on all the time. There's nothing on the bands on the passenger seat to show what they look like without bags.

TJSeatsBothBands.jpg

I'll keep trying to get the companies I'm in contact with to do new products for the TJ/LJ :).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The bags in my previous post are hanging on a band that goes around the seat; the band has a provision for Molle gear and also a zipper for "Zip & Go" bags that Overland Outfitters makes. In my last post the leather bag in the LJ is hanging on a gray prototype band I made; I sewed a zipper on the back of the bag to turn it into a "Zip & Go" bag.

I've been trying to get Overland Outfitters to make these bands so TJ/LJ folks can hang either Molle or Zip & Go bags on their seats - most companies these days focus first on JL and JK Jeeps because that's where the market is but I've been telling OO that as long as they've already got some great Zip & Go bags for the JK they might as well offer this simple band and expand the applicability of those bags to the TJ/LJ.

Friday they emailed me these images, it's a prototype band they made in leather. There's one minor adjustment I suggested to them and once they make that adjustment they'll make some available for testing. This was made from leather they had on hand, I don't know if they should use this color or perhaps black for production.

SampleTJBand.jpg

The first prototype I made was tan because that's the color of the original YJ band. The tan isn't too far from the color of this leather so here are a few photos of that first prototype to show the color on the gray LJ seat. Do you think these should be made in tan/brown leather or black leather? If anyone has thoughts on the color I'll pass your comments along to them.

My prototype tan band:

TanBand.jpg

Or, if you guys think this is a dumb idea, let me know and I'll tell Overland Outfitters not to bother, they can just make a few nice leather ones for me and then forget the whole thing.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Those bags look great. Can you really hold a fairly heavy tool roll in one of those bags by velcro alone? I think I would want redundant retention, where the seat strap ran through loops behind (or perhaps inside the flap of) the storage bag. I did something similar to create a CamelBak water system in my Jeep for the driver and passenger, using simple straps and CamelBak bikepacks from REI.

Edit, I prefer a darker tan or "mocha brown" leather color personally

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Those bags look great. Can you really hold a fairly heavy tool roll in one of those bags by velcro alone? I think I would want redundant retention, where the seat strap ran through loops behind (or perhaps inside the flap of) the storage bag. I did something similar to create a CamelBak water system in my Jeep for the driver and passenger, using simple straps and CamelBak bikepacks from REI.

Edit, I prefer a darker tan or "mocha brown" leather color personally
No velcro is used to hang the bags. The "Zip & Go" design hangs bags using a zipper, and the bands that go around the seat also have a provision for hanging Molle gear. I'll repeat the photo from earlier, you can see the zipper at the bottom and above the zipper is a leather strip for hanging Molle gear.

SampleTJBand.jpg

And here's the back of an Overland Outfitters "Zip & Go" bag, you can see the zipper along the top:

ZipAndGoBagBack.jpg

To hang the bag, just zip it in place. To remove it, unzip. It's quick, easy and secure. And plenty strong enough to hold a tool roll.

Thanks for the color info, I'll collect all the input from people and pass it along to OO.

BTW the band shown here is for TJ/LJ seats that don't have a separate headrest; for vehicles with a headrest mounted on posts there's a zipper mount that is captured by the headrest posts:

BackpackZipperStrip.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
MB/GPW Grille for the TJ/LJ

I've been working on a new TJ/LJ "art project" - an MB/GPW grille for the TJ/LJ. A concept image:

TJMBDesignStudy1a_zps45lvtz1d.jpg

The goal for this project is to have a grille that's as close as possible in appearance to the original MG/GPW grille without requiring any other changes to the Jeep - the grille will install with the factory hood and fenders and not require them to be modified. Requiring no modifications to the Jeep, the grille will be compatible with aftermarket fenders, for example flat fenders to further the MB/GPW look.

There are a number of design challenges to get this one right - the MB/GPW grille is flat and perfectly vertical but the TJ grille is curved forward and the bottom is further forward than the top; also the MG/GPW grille face is slightly behind the front of the hood (the hood overhangs the grille), but the TJ grille sticks out a bit past the front end of the hood. The MG/GPW fenders don't stick out past the front of the grille but not only do the TJ fenders go past the grille the fender mounting flanges on the side of the grille shell are forward of where a vertical grille face needs to be. Also to achieve the MB/GPW look the headlights have to be smaller and recessed behind the grille, as do the turn signals. I've designed solutions for all of those challenges and I'm in the process of making the mold master now.

This is a background project; other projects I'm working on have higher priority but I have made some progress on it and my goal is to make the mold and mold the first grille by February some time. I'll post occasional updates on the project but unless people are intested I won't cover the project in detail because it really doesn't relate to expeditions/overlanding/etc. for this forum.

PS: What I mean by "art project" is a project I'm doing because I think it will be an interesting design project but I don't have any plans to use the resulting grille on any of my Jeeps.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Man, you've just got too much time on your hands!
I am lucky enough to have more time for my hobbies than most people but it's still not enough time to implement all of the ideas I come up with.

Here's the current state of the MB/GPW Grille project...

I'm making the mold master from 3/4" MDF and for that I cut a piece of MDF to fit just inside the grille shell (after removing the factory grille face from the shell). The finished grille will sit a bit behind the front of the hood just as the original MG/GPW grille does and it's perfectly flat and vertical like the original.

In these photos I'm playing with the exact position of the lights and slots; I've printed them and cut them out so they can be moved around. Their positions in these photos is pretty close to where they'll end up.

DraftLayout1.jpg

DraftLayout2.jpg

DraftLayout3.jpg

In the last photo above sitting on the floor next to the grille are mold masters I made for MB-style turn signals - when I make the grille mold I'll make molds for these; these will be covers for 2 1/2" LEDs to convert them into wartime blackout-style lights.

When I've finalized the exact positions of everything, I'll cut holes in the MDF for the slots and lights. Those holes will be smoothed and the edges will be radiused slightly as they would be if the grille were pressed from sheet metal. Then the MDF grille face will be faired into the grille shell and a smooth finish will be applied. A mold will be made over the whole assembly so the final grille face that comes out of the mold will fit exactly over a grille shell - to install the fiberglass grille face the factory face will be removed like I did with this one and the new one epoxied in place to the shell.

My plan is to have everything ready to make the mold by mid-February... I'll be alone in the house for some time then so it's a good time to make a fiberglass mess in the garage. While I've got garage set up for fiberglass I'll make the mold and the next day I'll make the first grille in that mold.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This weekend I sewed some Molle/Tool Belt gear hangers sized for the a few places on the LJ roll bars. They're black canvas with a black leather PALS strip. One pair goes on the bars over the doors:

LJDriverSideEmpty.jpg

With a couple of Molle pouches and a tactical flashlight:

LJDriverSideLoaded.jpg

On the passenger side I hung a random collection of small Molle and belt clip pouches just to see what could fit up there:

LJPsgrSideLoaded.jpg

I also sewed a shorter one for the LJ rear bars. Larger pouches can hang there because they won't get in the way of ingress/egress, one of these is a Molle pouch and the one with red trim is a Husky tool belt pouch from Home Depot:

LJRearBar.jpg

And one for the center of the main hoop, it can mount facing forward as shown or in the back, in the back it fits between the speakers:

LJMainHoopCenter.jpg

I also made some for the JKU while I was at it, photos of those in my JKU thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal