How would you outfit this custom LJ?

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
The alpine roof on the scrambler is the icing on the cake! If you could rig that up with a back seat in there and then maybe a skylight you could almost do guided ecotourism drives with it.

And to add to that, instead of a big glass roof do an open roof with a rag top, like on old VW Beetles. link

ddog45

Adventurer
I want one. What are the real world chances of me ever getting one. Right now I am looking for a damaged lj hardtop and not having much luck.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I want one. What are the real world chances of me ever getting one. Right now I am looking for a damaged lj hardtop and not having much luck.
The moderator will not allow me to discuss progress towards commercialization of this top in this public thread, sorry.

If you don't mind my asking, why are you looking for a damaged hardtop?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
And to add to that, instead of a big glass roof do an open roof with a rag top, like on old VW Beetles. link
I while back I did a concept drawing using one of the large aftermarket full roof sliding canvas sunroofs:

SkySlider.jpg

On of these canvas sliding sunroofs was featured in the May 2008 issue of JP Magazine, they installed it in an XJ roof. The same unit could be used in this roof.

I don't plan to build this version, but it could easily be done.

Last edited:

wild1

Adventurer
I have been looking at my LJ as an alternitive to my Superduty -Alaskan camper combo for short trips into some more remote areas.You can deck the rear area at the hardtop lower flange and get a 48 inch deck. with the front seats all the way forward and a flip down front section you have about 72 inches on the drivers side and 76 on the pasengers side. Its about the same size as the alaskan camper standard bed. With your design it would be very easy to build a integrated tent system like the x-panda-cab that was designed for the rover 88. Another option would be to have the rear window drop down to extend the rear deck a couple of feet to the rear. If equipted with a tent bed similar to the thermarest popout that Lance offers on thier campers you could easily get an interior bed that would fit you. Looking forward to further developements.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
That is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Nice work!

Take a bow sir, you have earned it!

You have the skills many of us only dream about.. Thank you for sharing.

I sit here totally amazed at the talents you have. As mentioned efore great work and we are all sitting at our computers with our mouths wide open, longing for one of your tops
so to you:victory:

That top just has sexy written all over it. Fantastic job! can't wait to be able to purchase this.

Thanks!!!

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
I while back I did a concept drawing using one of the large aftermarket full roof sliding canvas sunroofs:

SkySlider.jpg

On of these canvas sliding sunroofs was featured in the May 2008 issue of JP Magazine, they installed it in an XJ roof. The same unit could be used in this roof.

I don't plan to build this version, but it could easily be done.
ASC is doing the skyslider roof for the Libbie. They actually made a prototype with a Skyslider on the JK Unlimited. Wonder what happened to it. I guess I should give them a call and ask.

I kinda like the skyslider; the company I'm working for has been involved in the development of that roof and we are supplying some components. :wings:

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
What about a basket about this size?

RackMockup1.jpg

That's the same size basket I use.

- I like that its in the back part of my hard top so there is a lot less noise
- You never want to carry a lot of weight up there anyway (COG) so this size keeps you honest
- Easy to install or remove by just one person.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
You know Jeff,

I would go with a Roof top tent, and a kitchen back there for you. IF it were me I would need room for my two boys to sleep in the rear, ergo I would use a fold and tumble rear seat, and only put a small storage compartment in the rear area.

One top of that I would seriously consider getting the Genright highline kit on there. Then you can maximize your tire size without lifting the jeep at all. This will allow you some very nice off-roadability without raising your COG anymore than that tent already would do.

The jeep looks very nice Jeff, good work sir.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
You know Jeff,

I would go with a Roof top tent, and a kitchen back there for you. IF it were me I would need room for my two boys to sleep in the rear, ergo I would use a fold and tumble rear seat, and only put a small storage compartment in the rear area.

One top of that I would seriously consider getting the Genright highline kit on there. Then you can maximize your tire size without lifting the jeep at all. This will allow you some very nice off-roadability without raising your COG anymore than that tent already would do.

The jeep looks very nice Jeff, good work sir.

Thanks Brian. I'm leaning towards building a sleeping trailer out of a Jeep tub, using the same molds to make it a custom Safari Cab hardtop camper.

I don't really like the looks of highline kits... I've got a 2" BB lift on it now, that's probably as far as I'll go. Will run 265/75-16 tires when the 245 Goodyear MTR's wear out. That'll give me enough lift/clearance for any trails I'd be brave enough to try :).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
That's the same size basket I use.

- I like that its in the back part of my hard top so there is a lot less noise
- You never want to carry a lot of weight up there anyway (COG) so this size keeps you honest
- Easy to install or remove by just one person.

That's my concern about larger baskets - it could be easy to exceed a safe COG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk

Members online