Hunter Build

ArmyRover

Adventurer
uh.... bill, do i need to send you a level or a tape measure? poor little fella, it looks sad and droopy eyed.

a level would be better lol, the aftermarket bumper sits higher than the factory so I haven't decided the best way to level out the guards. It has a stepped pin that sets into the bumper. I'm going to look for some set screw collars so I can drill the hole larger and still have a stop.

The springs are 3" RTE progressive rears. I actually netted about 4.5" I need to put a bit more weight on it to level it out some lol. It's not a total dog, but she won't be setting any land speed records for acceleration. She rolls at 75 nicely down the highway, and keeps up with traffic around town.

ArmyRover

Adventurer
I have put new u-joints in front and rear. Front still has a bit of vibration, but I'll be switching to a DC Shaft on the front when I do the LT 230. Rear is stock and vibe free.

I have the Terra Firma rear links to swap into the rear when time allows. I was going to be doing the bottorf fabrication front radius arms but he couldn't deliver. So on the front radius arms I'll be keeping my eyes open for a set

Shocks are bilstein 7100 remotes.

rover4x4

Adventurer
Thanks, my truck is getting a 3" spring, I wish I would have done these a long time ago. What mounts did you use for the bilsteins? They are heims right?

ArmyRover

Adventurer
Ok so work has been slow the Army sent me off to Alaska for a bit. The only thing I have managed to get done is installing a new stereo and getting a bunch of missing fasteners replaced so the dash doesn't act like it's going to fall off when I hit a bump.

The real good news is I finally got my refund from a rover fab shop that couldn't deliver after nearly 10 months the products ordered and paid for. It was just getting simply insane and I couldn't deal with the B.S. lies and excuses any longer.

Luckily another Fab Shop www.roxtarfab.com has stepped up to fill the void and will be hooking me up with a great deal on a custom rear bumper and sliders. Brad has been great to talk to and I look forward to getting his work installed on my Hunter.

fishEH

Explorer
I look forward to seeing what he comes up with.
Wanna pick up a D1 rear door panel for me if I order one? :)

ArmyRover

Adventurer
RRC's are great trucks, I bought my first in 2002 and this Hunter is my second one. The first one had rusted to much to be a solid basis for a build up.

If you get a chance to get a clean one go for it they are well worth it.

ArmyRover

Adventurer
Well today was a fail of a work day on the Hunter...

I attempted at the navy base car craft center to replace my radius arm bushings with the OME offset bushings.

I learned that a machine shop there does not mean there is a qualified individual working in it. We pulled the driver side arm and took it with the bushings to the machine shop to get re-directed to a small room at the end of the hall that had a press in it and a odd selection of press tools. None of which were a great fit size wise. We somehow managed to get them in and properly aligned, freaking amazing. We got that installed and moved on to the passenger side only to find that the bolt had rust welded itself to the sleeve in the bushing. 2.5 hours later and we still couldn't get the damn bolt out. We finally had to give up much to my dismay, they didn't have a angle grinder so we could cut the bolt. Probably a good thing as I didn't have another bolt to replace it with anyway.

I was a bit concerned with driving it home like that but it actually drove fine, maybe a bit better as most of the vibration was gone from the front end. I think when I get the other set in I'll finally be vibe free.

Downside is I think my head gasket is weeping a bit on the drivers side....

ArmyRover

Adventurer
I ended up pulling the front shaft and have been driving 2wd for the last few days. Just didn't feel comfortable with the angles down there with one side having a offset and the other stock.

Yesterday we finally won the battle on the front passenger side radius arm and it now has the offset bushings as well. I'll be putting the front shaft back in tonight or tomorrow night. Hopefully that will kill the vibes if not I'll be doing the swap to the lt230 and double cardon shaft a little sooner than expected. Of course I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a set of offset radius arms as well.

ArmyRover

Adventurer
Well I got off my lazy butt, and put the front shaft back in. The offset bushings are a 95% solution. The vibes are minimal now and she is very livable at this point. Until of course I get some corrected radius arms.

I also installed a PT Schram Rover Repair sticker on the windshield gotta support your friends :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Itsgreg