if you we're given a check for 40k tomorrow, what rig would you build or buy?

stomperxj

Explorer
Finish building my current rig:

98 Cherokee SE

6.0 liter Vortec/4L60E/231 swap - from an 07 ish GM Truck $3000 ish
Dynatrac 44s front and rear - $6500 ish
Frame stiffening - $500 ish
upgraded suspension: coil overs front, Deaver springs rear, shocks... - $2500
31" - 33" tires - $1000
Aluminum wheels - $600
New roof rack, front and rear bumpers, custom - $500
LED lighting - $1000
New OBA system - $500

Misc whatever I forgot - $2500

That's a total of $18600

Buy tools that start with CNC with the rest...

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Used Ford E-450 Ambulance with 7.3:

View attachment e450.jpg

Strip it out.

Rip the top off and replace with Fiberine 30" "Frankenstein" (actually, they call it a "Super Camper") top:

http://www.fiberine.com/GVMR/Full_Size_Van_Tops.html#11

Super Camper.jpg

Turn it over to UJOR for 4x4 conversion, then turn it over to Colorado Camper Van for a simple interior conversion (with diesel heat and cooktop and at least a 40g water tank).

EDIT: Actually, interior first, THEN 4x4 - gotta get the full loaded weight to spec out the new springs.

Sterling three stage voltage regulator on what has to be a pretty serious factory alternator.
4 Odyssey 105ah AGMs for the house bank.
Some solar.

Hang a T-Dub off the back.

Drive it till the wheels fall off.

Last edited:

Bob Freda

Adventurer
Was that at Keene JEEP?[/QUOTE]

I was at Herb C#######. Jeep in Danvers MA , and saw it in their used car lot. Was very surprised , but they do sell new Jeeps that have been modified, but they are not an AEV dealer.

Last edited:

BIG JOHN

Observer
I visited AEV this past Monday. They told me if I provided the JKU they could do the Double Cab Brute conversion for $40K. I have the JKU so...

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Finish building my current rig:

98 Cherokee SE

6.0 liter Vortec/4L60E/231 swap - from an 07 ish GM Truck $3000 ish
Dynatrac 44s front and rear - $6500 ish
upgraded suspension: coil overs front, Deaver springs rear, shocks... - $2500
31" - 33" tires - $1000
Aluminum wheels - $600
New roof rack, front and rear bumpers, custom - $500
LED lighting - $1000
New OBA system - $500

Misc whatever I forgot - $2500

That's a total of $18600

Buy tools that start with CNC with the rest...
Pics or build thread?

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
My SX4 is built enough for my needs, so I'd take the year off work, strap on the RTT and travel around Canada and the states.

Maybe first I'd spend a few K on bumpers, rear tire carrier and gas can holders. That'll clear up the interior so I can bring my dogs and extra cargo.

Also, why is this in the jeep section?

Murfman

Observer
I'd buy a used Serro Scotty 4x4 Dodge Ram based motorhome (95-97 12V NV4500 preferably)for 20K or so upgrade whatever needed uprading for ~ 5K or so and buy an old Donzi 18 Classsic for for ~10-15K. Id use the Scotty to tow my TJ, Ram, ATCs, boat or whatever combination of the above and set it up as a base camp for wheeling excursions. It may not be as convenient as a 1 rig setup, but this way if something breaks on anything I have options to get back.

Trailer:
Silverton054.jpg
Link http://www.builtrite.net/
My Ram: (Currently getting painted black)
DSC02193.jpg

My Jeep:
DSC02317.jpg

The ATVs:
DSC02829.jpg

A Serro Scotty:
smh2.jpg

Donzi:
22-classic-009_ME5Ye_5784.jpg

I'd be a happy camper, wheelr, boater at that point:sombrero:

Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: If it offends, or bothers you-

My SX4 is built enough for my needs, so I'd take the year off work, strap on the RTT and travel around Canada and the states.

Maybe first I'd spend a few K on bumpers, rear tire carrier and gas can holders. That'll clear up the interior so I can bring my dogs and extra cargo.

Also, why is this in the jeep section?

Why don't you PM the OP, it's his thread !

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

thedjjack

Dream it build it
Happy with my old 1989 Delica L300 with the Hitop... C.O.E. best design ever until you get in an accident but still slightly better then a motorcycle

Maybe a few thousand to do some preventative work.... than I would give the rest of the money to me :)...

fullofdays

Wondering Wanderer
Good question!! I posted in the jeep section because I'm torn between a turn key AEV with a 350 package or buying a used taco or GX and building a rig from there. basically I'm all over the map. heck, with allthe diesel conversion builds, the new diesel grand Cherokee would be the dogs bollocks for a startingpoint. a ujoint van build is also on my radar...

Planning to explore Appalachians with the wife and introduce her to traveland camping in the spring as a tune up for a 2 week Grand Canyon trip in September.

stomperxj

Explorer
Pics or build thread?

I'm finishing up building my shop right now. 28'x28'. Should be done in a couple months. Then I'm getting married in June so the V8 swap will probably start after that. I'm gathering parts as we speak. My version won't have dynatracs or fancy coil overs but it will be fairly nice when I'm done...

This is the realistic list:

5.3 or 6.0 liter Vortec/4L60E/231 swap - from an 04 ish GM Truck $3000 ish
D30/D44 combo with front big disc upgrade and rear disc brakes, 4.10's, locked front, limited slip rear
Some inexpensive long arm setup, maybe rough country
New roof rack,- $150
LED lighting - $500

Its sitting on 31's and an RE 4" lift currently and it already has a locked D30 and an open D44 in it. I'm swapping out the front and am going to "polish a turd" and totally rebuild another D30 hub to hub for it. I scored another D44 from the local pick a part so I'll have both axles to build on the bench. There are two local insurance auctions so I'm going to try to score a rolled tahoe or something similar at one of those. Basically I want to build the Cherokee that Jeep should have built. V8, Discs, Locker/LS.... etc...

I'll be documenting everything here for sure- [/highjack] :)

sm0128.jpg

sm0083.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad