I'm BACK!!! 2023 F-250 Tremor build

Tex68w

Beach Bum
What are pin-wheel steaks or poppers?

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Pinwheels are stuffed flank steaks, usually rolled with spinach and cheese, sometimes with other seasonings and fillers. Poppers are just like you'd make with dove, a slice of meat with a slice of jalapeño and cream cheese and then wrapped in bacon with seasoning, then you grill it. Just other options for variety, my buddy even gets tamales done as well.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I can't get used to some of this "southern" food down here. In OK we put cheddar cheese in poppers. I will it eat it but I am not a fan of the cream cheese variety. ;)
Poppers with cream cheese is all I've ever known, lol

Do you also put a slice of cheddar cheese on your Apple pie? (asking seriously - I've heard it's a thing in some part of the States)

ITTOG

Poppers with cream cheese is all I've ever known, lol

Do you also put a slice of cheddar cheese on your Apple pie? (asking seriously - I've heard it's a thing in some part of the States)
No, never heard of it.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Even though most people think of OK as being in the south, I think we are much more Midwest when it comes to food. When it comes to behaviors, sayings, type of people, etc I think there is a lot of overlap between Midwest and the south.

Oh I agree, I did my undergrad in Norman, it definitely has more of a midwest vibe combined with hardcore Bible-belt underpinnings.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
Over the years I've used 22-250 (first deer rifle as a kid/teen/college), 30-30 (336 Marlin lever-action), 308 (TL3 Custom), 300BLK (9" SBR), .257 Weatherby Magnum (Weatherby MkV), 6.5 Creedmoor (Bergara) but for the past two seasons I have been sticking with a custom Zermatt TL3 shorty 308 for pretty much any medium size game here in Texas. The 300BLK still see's pig patrol and the 30-30 makes a showing every season for nostalgias sake. The 22-250 and 257 will likely end up going to nephews for their first deer rifles.

xW74xo9.jpg

XymuCuZ.jpg

k83chuE.jpg

7EKhtSj.jpg
I wish I could like the elevation turret on those larger 50mm 4-16 ATACRs. I much prefer the low profile locking turret of the 4-16x42mm. I’d like a little more objective for low light ability although the 42mm has worked perfect for me for many years.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I wish I could like the elevation turret on those larger 50mm 4-16 ATACRs. I much prefer the low profile locking turret of the 4-16x42mm. I’d like a little more objective for low light ability although the 42mm has worked perfect for me for many years.

Where I normally hunt, in super thick cedar clearings, we lose shooting light almost a solid 30-45 minutes before legal shooting time expires so it's necessary that I get as much light into the objective as possible in order to extend my hunt into that golden hour for as long as possible. For Texas style stand hunting where you know your given distances to the location you're hunting it isn't as vital to see around or over the elevation turret to acquire your target or dial, 99% of all shots are point and shoot distances or small hold overs easily made with the reticle. The low profile turret of the 42mm ATACR is nice in that regard and used by most for hunting stick glass but it's not as tactile in feel when dialing either. If I didn't need the bigger objective for my particular needs I'd likely have the 4-16x42 on this rifle as well, or more likely the 4-20x50 F1.

I am not a huge NF fan in general but the 4-16 F1, 4-20 and 7-35 ATACRS are hard to beat in their given categories in terms of value, quality and durability. On my steel and comp rifles I run ZCO and I have considered putting the ZCO 420 on this rifle or the 6.5PRC but another $1K in glass on top of the already $2K+ ATACR on a hunting stick that will get bumped around just doesn't add up for me. This is btw the no longer available F1/FFP version of the 4-16x50 ATACR with the MIL-C reticle which IMHO is still their best offering for a hunting reticle. I am making a weight sacrifice in order to run an ATACR on a hunting rifle but I prefer my hunting sticks to weigh 10lbs or more fully kitted, it just makes for a more stable platform when shooting at distance (350+).

TexasSixSeven

Observer
Where I normally hunt, in super thick cedar clearings, we lose shooting light almost a solid 30-45 minutes before legal shooting time expires so it's necessary that I get as much light into the objective as possible in order to extend my hunt into that golden hour for as long as possible. For Texas style stand hunting where you know your given distances to the location you're hunting it isn't as vital to see around or over the elevation turret to acquire your target or dial, 99% of all shots are point and shoot distances or small hold overs easily made with the reticle. The low profile turret of the 42mm ATACR is nice in that regard and used by most for hunting stick glass but it's not as tactile in feel when dialing either. If I didn't need the bigger objective for my particular needs I'd likely have the 4-16x42 on this rifle as well, or more likely the 4-20x50 F1.

I am not a huge NF fan in general but the 4-16 F1, 4-20 and 7-35 ATACRS are hard to beat in their given categories in terms of value, quality and durability. On my steel and comp rifles I run ZCO and I have considered putting the ZCO 420 on this rifle or the 6.5PRC but another $1K in glass on top of the already $2K+ ATACR on a hunting stick that will get bumped around just doesn't add up for me. This is btw the no longer available F1/FFP version of the 4-16x50 ATACR with the MIL-C reticle which IMHO is still their best offering for a hunting reticle. I am making a weight sacrifice in order to run an ATACR on a hunting rifle but I prefer my hunting sticks to weigh 10lbs or more fully kitted, it just makes for a more stable platform when shooting at distance (350+).
MILC is the only reason I’ve stuck with that particular optic. I’ve got a couple of them as well as a couple MK5 3.6-18 PR1s which are another great hunting reticle. It’s likely a ZCO 420 MPCT1 gets thrown on my 6 PRC, and I’ll move this ATACR over to one of my boys rifles. IMO the MPCT1, PR1, and MILC are the 3 best options for hunting reticles. I may live in Texas, but I don’t hunt out of a stand. I dial more often than not. I’m far to ADD to sit still more than a few minutes at a time. If I can’t spot and stalk it I don’t want anything to do with it lol luckily being in west Texas I’m never hunting small land.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
The low profile turret isn’t a visibility issue. I enjoy easily and quickly verifying turret zero with my rifle in my lap while never taking my eyes off target. It never gets accidentally spun a few tenths either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner