Imperial Outdoors Xplore XR22

SlimPickens

Second, the solar..... minimal charge that would not keep up with minimal 12V usage on my second trip (3 days in the mountains). Checked the controller, 40VDC, checked the inputs on the roof, 40VDC, checked the individual panels, 20V/1A DC range. Got a couple new panels today, tested the old ones, 20V/0.3A range in cloudy snowy conditions, overlayed a set of the exact same new panels on the old ones, 20V/0.3A range, crap....

Moved the new panels to the back with full exposure and that doubled the current in each to 0.6A. So... Raspy was correct, the stock solar upgrade and maybe even the regular X22 solar system is bunk due to panel placement and shading of the AC housing, roof rack and plumbing vent. If anyone else perusing this forum has a functional "off grid max package" please inform, i do not see how this can be the case unless the sun is somehow seeing both panels completely. To compound the issue, they are connected in series which further derates what you can get out of them. The MPPT controller is great for the higher voltage series connection but the series connection needs full sun on both panels or overall current will take a hit as it will be constant through both and equate to the lower producing panel.

I will say at this time, the panels themselves arent the issue, its the installation. Moving the existing panels may kill them as they are screwed and adhered to the roof. Quite a bummer of an upgrade but i still stand by the components so far. Also I misread or misused a crappy current clamp (always blame the tools, haha) as i thought i was getting 9.0A range out of each panel but it was likely only 0.9A when i thought they were working great. Will post what i do to alleviate the solar issue and how it works out

Raspy

Second, the solar..... minimal charge that would not keep up with minimal 12V usage on my second trip (3 days in the mountains). Checked the controller, 40VDC, checked the inputs on the roof, 40VDC, checked the individual panels, 20V/1A DC range. Got a couple new panels today, tested the old ones, 20V/0.3A range in cloudy snowy conditions, overlayed a set of the exact same new panels on the old ones, 20V/0.3A range, crap....

Moved the new panels to the back with full exposure and that doubled the current in each to 0.6A. So... Raspy was correct, the stock solar upgrade and maybe even the regular X22 solar system is bunk due to panel placement and shading of the AC housing, roof rack and plumbing vent. If anyone else perusing this forum has a functional "off grid max package" please inform, i do not see how this can be the case unless the sun is somehow seeing both panels completely. To compound the issue, they are connected in series which further derates what you can get out of them. The MPPT controller is great for the higher voltage series connection but the series connection needs full sun on both panels or overall current will take a hit as it will be constant through both and equate to the lower producing panel.

I will say at this time, the panels themselves arent the issue, its the installation. Moving the existing panels may kill them as they are screwed and adhered to the roof. Quite a bummer of an upgrade but i still stand by the components so far. Also I misread or misused a crappy current clamp (always blame the tools, haha) as i thought i was getting 9.0A range out of each panel but it was likely only 0.9A when i thought they were working great. Will post what i do to alleviate the solar issue and how it works out
Slim,
I could not believe that Imperial placed a collector under the AC, and another under the tent rack, put all the connecting wire on top of the collectors and caulked the plumbing vent flange right on top of a collector. On mine, one panel was plugged into itself as a dead short. An absolutely clueless installation that could never work. As you may recall, I built a new system on the tent rack with rigid panels and it is wonderful. Let us know what you do to fix yours.

Raspy

X22 Blues.....

Well, 2nd trip out had some issues.

First, the furnace stopped working, reset furnace switch and pulled breaker, didnt work, blew cold air for 30secs then back into fault mode. Had limited cell service but saw a forum mentioning a similar issue and the "sail" switch. Took the furnace out (quite a chore on round 1) cleaned it up, found the sail switch pretty quick, cleaned it up (micro fiber cloth), put it back in place, tested it, worked, put it back together, worked for about 24 hrs then back to the initial issue.. Second fix, not too interested in pulling the furnace out a third time, pulled the furnace out (much easier round 2) vacuumed and wiped down the entire furnace enclosure, vacuumed and wiped down as much of the furnace itself as i could, grabbed an electrostatic hammock filter and cut a piece to fit then return air register, cut out the 4" duct hole, duct tapped the 4" hole and perimeter, duct tapped the kitchen and bathroom cabinet duct cutouts, didnt even think of the massive gap on the back of the enclosure between the bathroom cabinet and wall of the furnace enclosure until i was nearly done, but tested, it worked, reinstalled, went out for 3rd trip this weekend and have had the furnace running intermittently before that with a space heater and its been going for a few weeks now. Fingers crossed.....

Edit: to clarify, so far so good, furnace working full time since second fix
I suspect it is not lint on the sail switch that is the problem, but a defective sail switch. There is an updated part number for these, so if you have to go back in, try the better switch and hopefully it will be fixed for good.

Raspy

Here's a picture of my solar: Currently, 660 watts.

Attachments

• X22 solar 3.png
    X22 solar 3.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 43

SlimPickens

No way thats an x22, wheres the AC housing covering half the array?
Whatever that pic is, it looks like something with a logical and functional solar array.... ?

Attachments

• FP Connected Roof.jpg
    FP Connected Roof.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 32

Eriestinger

New Member here - have been following this thread for a while and have decided to go take a look at some new 2023 X-22's near me, primarily to see if I like it, can fit in the bed & bath, and the overall construction quality of the units.

From what I see here and in a quick look of the X22 Owners Group on Facebook , it sounds as if the problem areas on these are:

1. Sail switch in the furnace
2. Main Door Delamination
3. Sub-par Solar Installation

Anything else I should look at that could be a potential problem?

Have also noted concerns about trailer sway. I would be towing with an F250 4X4 Crew Cab 6.2 gas; my calculations show the truck should pull this with no problems with both truck and trailer fully loaded. I have pulled boats and equipment with the truck without any problems; is the sway issue something inherent to the X22's design, weight distribution in the trailer itself, or some combination of other factors?

I do not have previous experience with trailers of this sort, but have owned several powerboats and there is a lot of (apparent) cross-over in maintaining/winterizing/constant care of the "toys".

Any feedback is appreciated, Thanks!

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

So CO RV had the Xplore 145 Stage 3 listed at $110,000 due to a 17,000 rebate. I did not notice this deal at another IO dealers. Now it is not listed at 110k but 125k.

Just seems very strange thar IO dealers keep changing thier prices.

SlimPickens

Hey there, Eriestinger

If its not too late.... I would strongly recommend getting an X22 (such a good price compared to what i think are marginally better offerings) but.... need to sort some things before leaving the dealership and would recommend you become handy around the unit.

If i was to do it again, i would plan to camp at the dealership for minimum 1 night, preferably 2 or more, and make sure everything is to your satisfaction before leaving with your new trailer and dont let them make you feel like your concerns are not legit or nitpicky.

Take care with the upgraded solar, I have yet to relocate my upgraded solar panels to tell you if they do much better from out of the shadow of the AC unit, cables, plumbing vent etc. but i certainly would not want to leave the dealership if i got the "off grid max" package unless the battery monitor was at least registering 200W and 10A solar charging. If not, tell the dealership thats a minimum requirement. I dont think that will happen "as is" so have them make it happen. And youll need to upgrade the solar if your power requirements exceed moderate usage. I am going with 4 solar flex panels (2 series panels, then parallel) on the back end and 2 supplemental duralite panels (connected in series) into a second 30A MMPT. Havent gone full out on testing above average power consumption to see if this system keeps up configured as is.

Take care with the furnace, make sure it goes through the paces and get the sail switch swapped out if it doesnt (if its too warm out to test, open a door or window, whatever), then confirm it will go through the paces. I havent swapped the sail switch but my fix a few posts up has had a functional furnace ever since.

The battery bank is awesome, but ineffective at charging around 0C/32F or colder, i put together a tank heating pad and insulation scenario around my batteries, havent determined how the power draw to recharge ratio is doing, but some heating method is necessary for cold weather camping around the battery bank/box. There is no BS scenario where you could have more than about 4-5 days moderate power consumption cold weather camping without addressing this.

Water pump, will lose prime pretty quick if the unit is not well heated and possibly just lose prime for no reason. Enough info across RV forums that alleviates or eliminates this issue.

mattress, yikes, topper or swap out. She is no bueno as is, well for me and the missus, possibly good for some.

That was my minimum work requirements to get peace of mind and confidence with my X22, address the solar panels, the battery bank temp, the furnace, mattress and water pump. Then start personal tweaks.

Toilet, pricey pricey refills for laveo, but not pricey enough for me to swap out yet. Hitch, sufficient until the above is fully addressed. Door and trim pieces, no issues on mine so far.

Overall, I would temper expectations from the "awesome battle tank killer do anything at any temp" trailer that is represented in all the yutoob vids but unlikely you will find the quality of build at this price anywhere. And its fun to have for sure. Just gotta have some fun tweaking. This was my first travel trailer, so good chance if youve had one before this unit will be a dream come true compared to anything else below 100k.

My thoughts. Ask away if you have anything further from my end.

Raspy

New Member here - have been following this thread for a while and have decided to go take a look at some new 2023 X-22's near me, primarily to see if I like it, can fit in the bed & bath, and the overall construction quality of the units.

From what I see here and in a quick look of the X22 Owners Group on Facebook , it sounds as if the problem areas on these are:

1. Sail switch in the furnace
2. Main Door Delamination
3. Sub-par Solar Installation

Anything else I should look at that could be a potential problem?

Have also noted concerns about trailer sway. I would be towing with an F250 4X4 Crew Cab 6.2 gas; my calculations show the truck should pull this with no problems with both truck and trailer fully loaded. I have pulled boats and equipment with the truck without any problems; is the sway issue something inherent to the X22's design, weight distribution in the trailer itself, or some combination of other factors?

I do not have previous experience with trailers of this sort, but have owned several powerboats and there is a lot of (apparent) cross-over in maintaining/winterizing/constant care of the "toys".

Any feedback is appreciated, Thanks!
The X22 is basically a very good trailer in a number of ways. But it does have it's shortcomings. Some have had problems with the furnace, and some of them have repeatedly cleaned the sail switch thinking that was the problem. Lint on the switch is not the problem. If you have that issue get the upgraded sail switch and look for loose wire connections. My furnace has been perfect for 1 1/2 years.
I only know of one door delamination, so that is not on the list as a common problem.
The factory solar has been discussed and it is outrageously bad. Just plan on scrapping it and starting over. I deleted the AC and the tent on my order, so I had a good blank sheet to work with and my solar is amazing. My X22 is truly an off-grid trailer.
Go to Youtube, look up ROA and find the "50 Mods" video. That is me and my X22.
The water pump is a likely problem. It's not that it "loses prime". It loses prime because the strainer is a poor design and there ias an air leak at the suction side of the pump. A good pump will easily suck water up from the tank, but not with an air leak on the suction side of the pump. Get a new pump under warrantee from your dealer, or replace the strainer with a threaded model from Amazon.
I replaced the TV because the stock one was poor quality.
I replaced the stock mattress with a full size from Costco and it is WAY better.
I tow mine with a Super Duty Tremor and have never had a sway issue in about 20,000 miles. I also installed a McHitch automatic Coupler which I think helped with stability, but mainly makes it much easier to connect/disconnect.
Again, look at the 50 mods video.
Overall, this trailer has been very comfortable and a delight to have. With a few upgrades it becomes even better, and the ride height adjustment is very creative and very useful. The fridge is just simply amazing. Great stove, waterless toilet with no black tank (look for my upgrade on that). Great bathroom once the shower doors are removed. Unbelievably good batteries, Go-Power battery monitor and MPPT charge controller. Excellent insulation and cold weather performance. Excellent 12" brakes and Maxxis tires. We've camped in all conditions, almost completely off-grid. Lots of highway miles and lots of back country dirt roads. It is completely dialed in and the best trailer we have ever had.
When camping we use Starlink, charge computers and phones, watch movies, use an electric coffee maker, run the lights and furnace all we want. Leave the compressor fridge on all the time and we never have a power shortage. It's an off-grid trailer.
Having said that though, we are getting a new Roamer 1. Not because we don't like the X22. In fact, my wife is disappointed we are switching the the R1. The new one will be my fifth trailer in about seven years.

Treefarmer

Hey there, Eriestinger

If its not too late.... I would strongly recommend getting an X22 (such a good price compared to what i think are marginally better offerings) but.... need to sort some things before leaving the dealership and would recommend you become handy around the unit.

If i was to do it again, i would plan to camp at the dealership for minimum 1 night, preferably 2 or more, and make sure everything is to your satisfaction before leaving with your new trailer and dont let them make you feel like your concerns are not legit or nitpicky.

Take care with the upgraded solar, I have yet to relocate my upgraded solar panels to tell you if they do much better from out of the shadow of the AC unit, cables, plumbing vent etc. but i certainly would not want to leave the dealership if i got the "off grid max" package unless the battery monitor was at least registering 200W and 10A solar charging. If not, tell the dealership thats a minimum requirement. I dont think that will happen "as is" so have them make it happen. And youll need to upgrade the solar if your power requirements exceed moderate usage. I am going with 4 solar flex panels (2 series panels, then parallel) on the back end and 2 supplemental duralite panels (connected in series) into a second 30A MMPT. Havent gone full out on testing above average power consumption to see if this system keeps up configured as is.

Take care with the furnace, make sure it goes through the paces and get the sail switch swapped out if it doesnt (if its too warm out to test, open a door or window, whatever), then confirm it will go through the paces. I havent swapped the sail switch but my fix a few posts up has had a functional furnace ever since.

The battery bank is awesome, but ineffective at charging around 0C/32F or colder, i put together a tank heating pad and insulation scenario around my batteries, havent determined how the power draw to recharge ratio is doing, but some heating method is necessary for cold weather camping around the battery bank/box. There is no BS scenario where you could have more than about 4-5 days moderate power consumption cold weather camping without addressing this.

Water pump, will lose prime pretty quick if the unit is not well heated and possibly just lose prime for no reason. Enough info across RV forums that alleviates or eliminates this issue.

mattress, yikes, topper or swap out. She is no bueno as is, well for me and the missus, possibly good for some.

That was my minimum work requirements to get peace of mind and confidence with my X22, address the solar panels, the battery bank temp, the furnace, mattress and water pump. Then start personal tweaks.

Toilet, pricey pricey refills for laveo, but not pricey enough for me to swap out yet. Hitch, sufficient until the above is fully addressed. Door and trim pieces, no issues on mine so far.

Overall, I would temper expectations from the "awesome battle tank killer do anything at any temp" trailer that is represented in all the yutoob vids but unlikely you will find the quality of build at this price anywhere. And its fun to have for sure. Just gotta have some fun tweaking. This was my first travel trailer, so good chance if youve had one before this unit will be a dream come true compared to anything else below 100k.

My thoughts. Ask away if you have anything further from my end.
It sounds like another useful upgrade, or at least something to pay close attention to, is to replace many/most/all of the exterior screws with stainless steel screws. The factory screws seem to want to work there way loose and corrode a little bit allowing for a bit of water infiltration in spots. Water is always the enemy in an RV. Personally, I would also remove the factory "peel and stick" rock guards and do a custom spray on liner rock guard.

Raspy

It sounds like another useful upgrade, or at least something to pay close attention to, is to replace many/most/all of the exterior screws with stainless steel screws. The factory screws seem to want to work there way loose and corrode a little bit allowing for a bit of water infiltration in spots. Water is always the enemy in an RV. Personally, I would also remove the factory "peel and stick" rock guards and do a custom spray on liner rock guard.
I pulled all of the lower trim screws out and went to the next size larger diameter, in stainless. The point of each one got a dab of Dicor before going in. All trim piece holes were enlarged to fit the new screws. Some of the ones on the vertical trim were just pulled out and the tips dipped in Dicor before reinstalling them. The factory tends to strip them out by over torquing them into the fiberglass.

Alloy

I pulled all of the lower trim screws out and went to the next size larger diameter, in stainless. The point of each one got a dab of Dicor before going in. All trim piece holes were enlarged to fit the new screws. Some of the ones on the vertical trim were just pulled out and the tips dipped in Dicor before reinstalling them. The factory tends to strip them out by over torquing them into the fiberglass.

Larger helps to with screws breaking off but it doesn't help screws wear/strip out. Larger makes it harder to fix when the screws do wear/strip out.

Raspy

Larger helps to with screws breaking off but it doesn't help screws wear/strip out. Larger makes it harder to fix when the screws do wear/strip out.
Well, the stripped out hole is just about the right size pilot hole for the next size larger screw. If the new screw also has Dicor on its threads, and is not over tightened, it is a perfectly good fix that is stronger than the original and can be disassembled anytime without damage. The new larger screw certainly does prevent them from stripping out. The factory screws strip because they are over tightened.

Eriestinger

All,

Thanks for the comments and tips. I did go to see the trailer the weekend before last, for the most part I was happy with what I saw.
Was able to "fit" in the shower, bathroom, and on the mattress which was one of my major concerns;
Didn't see any issues with this particular unit that have been mentioned previously.
Solar "appeared" to be working properly from what I saw but I did not start testing all systems.
I wasn't 100% pleased with the wiring and lack of guarding/protection where wires were passing though bulkhead cutouts under the bed (easy enough to fix);
Could use some handles on the roof to assist with getting on the roof/back on the ladder;
Agree with how things are (somewhat poorly) laid out on the roof and thought the caulking job could have been a lot better;
Couldn't figure out the access to the heater unit and the salesman did not know hoe to do that.

Overall, thought it was a decent unit, much better than the run-of-the-mill standard trailers, and now it's time to get the necessary "up-front" money together for an eventual purchase.

Raspy - I did watch the "50 Mods" video, definitely some food for thought there - think I would get the "bugs" modification first and shake things down well before getting too far into further modifications. Since I'm not going to be able to order with a clean sheet and have to take what may be available, that will likely drive more than a few things. The rear window add is something I would strongly consider, perhaps (2) of them, to aid in the airflow/ventilation and not have to run the AC as much.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

All,

Thanks for the comments and tips. I did go to see the trailer the weekend before last, for the most part I was happy with what I saw.
Was able to "fit" in the shower, bathroom, and on the mattress which was one of my major concerns;
Didn't see any issues with this particular unit that have been mentioned previously.
Solar "appeared" to be working properly from what I saw but I did not start testing all systems.
I wasn't 100% pleased with the wiring and lack of guarding/protection where wires were passing though bulkhead cutouts under the bed (easy enough to fix);
Could use some handles on the roof to assist with getting on the roof/back on the ladder;
Agree with how things are (somewhat poorly) laid out on the roof and thought the caulking job could have been a lot better;
Couldn't figure out the access to the heater unit and the salesman did not know hoe to do that.

Overall, thought it was a decent unit, much better than the run-of-the-mill standard trailers, and now it's time to get the necessary "up-front" money together for an eventual purchase.

Raspy - I did watch the "50 Mods" video, definitely some food for thought there - think I would get the "bugs" modification first and shake things down well before getting too far into further modifications. Since I'm not going to be able to order with a clean sheet and have to take what may be available, that will likely drive more than a few things. The rear window add is something I would strongly consider, perhaps (2) of them, to aid in the airflow/ventilation and not have to run the AC as much.

I assume Raspy sold his?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven