In-dash stereo options?

zuren

Adventurer
Just curious about what others have installed in the dashes of their vans. My Chevy Express has the OEM CD/FM/AM double-din head unit but it has a couple issues. I bought some new front and rear speakers and will have to run wires for the rear. That means I need to pull the head unit to access the back side of my stereo. The radio has a few bulbs burned out (a common and not easily fixed GM issue) and occasionally it fails to read CDs. I'm not wild about the idea of tearing everything apart to reinstall a unit with problems.

I'm starting to look at direct replacement options, from other OEM units to aftermarket CD and DVD receivers. I'm not a huge fan of in-dash navigation (and they're expensive) but I'm looking for ideas for functional, reliable units that aren't terribly expensive. $150-250 is doable, much beyond that is out of reach. Just curious to see what others have done and are happy with.

Thanks!

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Zuren, I envy you with the double-din space. Astros have the din-and-a-half space which might as well be only single din, which limits our choices somewhat.

If you're not down with in-dash navigation, the next question is whether or not you want in-dash DVD or at least a big display. I have a kid, so an in-dash dvd player would be convenient, but due to the aforementioned single-din space, my choices aren't awesome, so I went in a different direction. Having a DVD player means a big display you can hook up one or more cameras to, which could be a plus for offroading (or even parking). Such units usually also offer "dual zone" audio meaning one can pipe DVD audio to a rear passenger and play music from another source for the front seats...

If not DVD, your choices are pretty much endless. Having a double din means you can use a single din and fill the space with a cubby or CB/HAM radio if you prefer.

For me the absolute single must-have thing is bluetooth. I hate dealing with dongles or borg-implant ear pieces and handsfree is the law here in CA, so a head unit with built-in BT is a must. Makes it SO much easier to carry on a conversation too when you can hear everything with a proper amp over the car speakers instead of some tiny piezo speaker built into the phone or a BT hockey puck.

After that, pick any other features you might want: iPod integration is nice, but less important to me than a USB thumb-drive interface since I usually just randomize the playback anyhow. HD Radio would be good in my area, but it wasn't offered back when I was last stereo shopping. I don't particularly need RDS, but it's nice to have (but unfortunately lacking on many new receivers for some reason.)

Head over to crutchfield.com, choose your vehicle and set your preferences for features and they'll narrow down the list as best they can.

I like the JVC line because they typically do a good job with integrated Bluetooth on their mid-to-upper end head units (low end are "BT Ready" which requires an expensive dongle that takes up space on the dash - worth it to buy a nicer unit with stuff built-in). I've had the JVC KD-BT1 installed in 3 different autos and been happy every time. I'm eyeballing the JVC KD-R820BT for my next purchase as the front aux-in jack could be handy, but I'm sad that they chose to omit the radio-selection buttons in favor of selecting the stations from the jog-wheel.

r_w

Adventurer
On the BT integration: All is well if you only link it to one phone, but if you try to set it up with both yours and hers phones, weird things can happen when you are riding together. Make sure it can pair to multiple devices and prioritize when multiples are present.

My peeve is radio reception. One vehicle still gets AWESOME coverage, one is mediocre, and the third is horrible--literally half the range of the best. Read reviews carefully for reception range.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
On the BT integration: All is well if you only link it to one phone, but if you try to set it up with both yours and hers phones, weird things can happen when you are riding together. Make sure it can pair to multiple devices and prioritize when multiples are present.

My peeve is radio reception. One vehicle still gets AWESOME coverage, one is mediocre, and the third is horrible--literally half the range of the best. Read reviews carefully for reception range.

Good points. I know crutchfield usually lists the FM RX sensitivity in their detailed specs...

digitaldelay

Explorer

I went with an Alpine CDE-103BT from Crutchfield.

Likes: Crutchfield includes all necessary adapter harnesses and dash adapters for your specific vehicle.

Dislikes: Unit skips intermittently on brand new CD's while stopped :(
Does not do Multi-Point BT. Will usually pair with my phone instead of the wife's, even though mine is second on the list of paired devices.

Jason

ramrunnr

I kinda when a different direction with my radios.

My S-10 had the DIN and a half that Herbie was talking about in the Astros and on the truck the Radio is shorter front to back so it sticks out a little (not sure if the Astros are like that). I have a Sony Xplöd with a flip down dual face. It is AM/FM/CD with an AUX input. It works great for me and I either hook my iPod or Phone to it and listen to MP3 or Pandora. With the phone connected playing Pandora and I get a phone call the radio becomes a speakerphone just like I was using bluetooth. In my Chevy G20 I have a similar radio (little higher end), but I have a Sirius Sat radio hooked into its aux port. That van had the older style little hole with knobs radio installed from the back. I had to cut out the dash for that one. I got both radios on eBay for about half retail price and they were both new in the box. You can get the adapters and wiring harness from Advance Auto or NAPA. Not saying that Crutchfield is bad, I have bought from them before and have had great service, but I saved a lot by buying my radios on eBay. Just remember on eBay it is basically caveat emptor, let the buyer beware.

zuren

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies. I had not considered the Bluetooth feature but that is something that would be helpful; some areas I drive through are hands-free only. Do the units with the mics in the stereo face (vs. a remote mic) pick up your voice pretty well?

I did some looking around today and like the looks of the Clarion CX501 and the Pioneer FH-P8000BT. (comparison). I'm not a huge touch screen guy which almost everything seems to be these days. I like tactile dials and buttons much better. The RX sensitivity of these 2 is 11 and 8 respectively. I looked at others and 10 seems to be about the average. I can adjust the illumination on the Clarion to match the van while the Pioneer is fixed. The Clarion has a higher RMS value so it should have better sound.

I've considered DVD receivers but the touch screens and price don't convince me. I have a larger laptop that can play DVDs if I really need it. I'd probably get a stand-alone overhead DVD/screen combo if I really want dedicated video for the van.

I considered the nav units for a hot second but I can't justify the cost. I like maps anyway. I haven't encountered a nav/GPS unit yet that hasn't made a mistake at some point.

It looks like the main benefits to double-din vs. single-din is a larger readout and possibly a bigger built-in amp. Is that accurate?

I may just buy through Crutchfield. They are a bit more expensive but dealing with one vendor has it's benefits. I pieced the same setup together from Amazon that doesn't include instructions or much support and it is only $30 cheaper.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

digitaldelay

Explorer
Do the units with the mics in the stereo face (vs. a remote mic) pick up your voice pretty well?

I had initially considered a Sony with the mic built in to the face, but after reading the negative reviews on sound quality, I decided a remote mic was the way to go. BT sound quality both in and out is excellent.

Jason

Last edited:

r_w

Adventurer
In dash mics work OK at best, and that is if the radio is placed optimally in the dash.

fike

Adventurer
the other reason to consider an double din with LCD screen is to install a backup camera. I find the bluetooth mics are moderately cr@ppy. They work in a pinch, but the quality is worse than normal cellphones.

I am considering one of these setups for a backup camera so that I don't need to put a big pretty LCD stereo in my van.
http://www.rostra.com/products/magn...tomotive-backup-camera-systems-by-rostra.html

The in dash gps systems are way overpriced. You can get a more complete feature set on a windshield-mounted garmin unit for half the money.

So, I'd go cheap on the in-dash unit...and I agree steer clear of the touchscreens. They are annoyingly unresponsive or very expensive.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I just put a single DIN alpine in my truck in your price range. It has blue tooth and Ipod control. I got a mounting kit that has a slot/compartment that fills the upper DIN. Perfect place for the Ipod to sit out of site. My ipod cable comes off the back of the head unit so there are no wires plugged in to the front or hanging in the way.

I hve also seen some really nice custom double din installs with a single din radio over a in dash CB.

edit: I put my mic at the top of the driver A pillar and it works perfect

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp