In my humble opinion, less is more! Anyone else agree?

The Wanderer

Observer
I know that this site is about big bad huge customs, but I would like to suggest that the simpler, smaller, less complicated we make our vehicles and travels the better life can be.

Being small and less complicated is not a bad thing in my views.

But, each to his own...

Peace

The Wanderer

Observer
The less we take with us, the less we have pay for, move, store, maintain, clean, protect and worry about getting stolen.

Then we have more time and money for the important things, like seeing this amazing world of ours.

Peace

The Wanderer

Observer
Anyone that has walked for a few months straight with all of their clothes, water, food, shelter, cooking equipment and stove fuel on their back will tell you that it changes your perspective on travelling and camping forever. You learn to only carry what you really need. All the rest can be lived without. Weight, space, simplicity and utility are what counts.

It gives you a great understanding of minimalism. I'm NOT preaching here, but I would love more people to discuss this expedition/camping/travelling approach. Big custom vehicles have their place, but so does minimal expedition vehicles.

Peace

Last edited:

nutpantz

Observer
I agree. Even though I have had a few trips in a suburban and do like the space and security, I love traveling with my motorcycle. I hope to do a few trips this year on a bicycle.
I look forward to the challenge of reducing my gear and finding new gear that is more multi purpose.

written in your mud with my stick

Toyotero

Explorer
To me, getting all the luxuries and new technologies and such are like scope creep on my original objective which was to get out there, see and live different for a while, and get "away from it all." Scope creep can be detrimental to a project, stressing the resources of time, costs, man hours or space possibly to the point of ruining it all together. I try to stay focused on the original goals and not get too distracted by the new, fancy shinies no matter how fun/comfortable/etc they are.

The Wanderer

Observer
I agree. Even though I have had a few trips in a suburban and do like the space and security, I love traveling with my motorcycle. I hope to do a few trips this year on a bicycle.
I look forward to the challenge of reducing my gear and finding new gear that is more multi purpose.

written in your mud with my stick

Don't get me wrong, my full time camper is a box van. The goal, as you say, is to try and limit all of the "stuff" that we carry with us that we think we "might" need. It is a fine balance and I have to fight we myself constantly to find that balance and to not be tempted to over carry and over complicate my life.

See my expo truck:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/91848136@N05/sets/

Thank you for your posts.

Last edited:

cwsqbm

Explorer
Minimalism has its points, but I also like air conditioning when its 90+F. I did enough roughing it when I was younger. Besides, how can one talk about minimalism when driving a big cube van? :)

The Wanderer

Observer
Minimalism has its points, but I also like air conditioning when its 90+F. I did enough roughing it when I was younger. Besides, how can one talk about minimalism when driving a big cube van? :)

Try not to judge my friend. The truck has been my only home for 3 years. No A/C, no electricity, no running water, no plumbing (bucket pottie). LED head lamp for lighting. Travelled up the Can-Am Hwy to Alaska and back living in my truck.

As I said, each should find what works for them.

And young is a state of mind. I'm well over 60 myself...

thedjjack

Dream it build it
I like simple....I wish I did not need the spare tire carrier on the back or the bush guard up front.....Stealth Rocks....KISS...I travelled 3 months up to 5800m with just a 30L backpack....

Kids now, but I think 4 people sleeping in a L300 Delica is a pretty small package....rolling 20-25mpg on 31 mud tires is respectable....

The Wanderer

Observer
I like simple....I wish I did not need the spare tire carrier on the back or the bush guard up front.....Stealth Rocks....KISS...I travelled 3 months up to 5800m with just a 30L backpack....

Kids now, but I think 4 people sleeping in a L300 Delica is a pretty small package....rolling 20-25mpg on 31 mud tires is respectable....

Yes, exactly. KISS. I love the L300. I wish I had one.

Thanks.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Yup Less is more = Less clothes is always more fun.
J/K I would like to see the KISS term used in Glamping :D I dont think it is possible with no room for the $2000 worth of Snow Peak tables and stoves you gotta have :D
I go minimal when I go alone. add a wife, child, and mut to the mix and KISS gets complicated

6x6pinz

Adventurer
I will go minimal when needed but then there are times I want to have all the amenities at my disposal. I love to backpack or take longer trips in my canoe and of course space and weight are a big deal. When I am in my rig on an extended trip, it is nice to not have to endure adverse weather or be out of touch. Just different experiences and each is a blast. Big thing is to just get off the couch at home and see different places and do different things.

The Wanderer

Observer
I will go minimal when needed but then there are times I want to have all the amenities at my disposal. I love to backpack or take longer trips in my canoe and of course space and weight are a big deal. When I am in my rig on an extended trip, it is nice to not have to endure adverse weather or be out of touch. Just different experiences and each is a blast. Big thing is to just get off the couch at home and see different places and do different things.

I agree completely!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk