Increasing Power Wagon payload

billiebob

The simple answer is that yes, you can increase the effective payload (not the sticker number but the real payload). The PW is a 2500, and the only significant physical limiting factor is the springs.
Very incorrect.

The only limiting factor is the GVW Rating on the door sticker. You cannot legally change that rating. The limiting components are not just the springs, almost every other suspension related component is designed for the rated payload and articulation capabilities too.

Conversly, simply putting PW springs into a standard W2500 will not give the W2500 the articulation and off road capabilities of a PW either.

billiebob

OP did not ask about changing GVWR. That is just a number on a sticker. He did ask about increasing payload, which is the actual ability of the truck to handle weight. GVWR and payload are two different things. You can increase payload, even if you don't change the number on the sticker.
Right, "just a number on a sticker"..... One can only argue with an idiot for so long. I think all the relevant points have been well discussed. There is far more to payload capacity than springs and tires. And I'd like to think we are going to be responsible and consider warranty and legal implications too. Time to quit this thread.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
You are confusing GVWR with actual payload capacity after changing relevant components. I believe there are idiots here, but I suspect you know who you are.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
No doubt they are related, but the GVWR includes the payload rating, on paper, for a stock vehicle. Once you modify the vehicle to increase the actual payload that the vehicle is capable of handling, the vehicle is no longer in stock configuration. This is not that complicated.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
So the only questions that you need to ask:
Do you want your insurance coverage to actually work? Do you want to be legal?

If no: Buy a PW, put a camper on, and throw some Sumo springs at it.
If yes: Buy a regular Dodge or Ford and build it up correctly.

If you're just going to rip out the suspension, freespin the front axle, regear to 4.88, and scream at the blinking front diff led until you replace with a Yukon locker? Do yourself a favor, and start with the base truck. Don't buy a Ford Raptor, then gut the suspension and install Prerunner suspension. That's just paying for the premium stuff twice.

Last edited:

LimaMikeMike

Observer
I had two posts here, I deleted them both.

One I wasn’t very nice to Ducky, if he had a chance to read it, I apologize. It’s not how I roll.

In the other I was arguing the same stuff over again. I came to realization that I really don’t care that much what others do or say.

So I’m out again.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
So the only questions that you need to ask:
Do you want your insurance coverage to actually work? Do you want to be legal?

If no: Buy a PW, put a camper on, and throw some Sumo springs at it.
If yes: Buy a regular Dodge or Ford and build it up correctly.

That's not how auto insurance works. Not even a little bit.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
LimaMike, don't worry about it, I did not see your posts, but I'm not easily offended, especially on the interwebs. I am a bit concerned about the number of posters in this thread who have their panties in a bunch about things they don't seem to understand.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer

Tell that to the guy getting sued for his ARB bumper.

Even if insurance covers it, it's only to a monetary point. Once that's reached, you're on the hook for the rest. A $500k policy is only a couple surgeries.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

Getting correct information about insurance coverages off of an internet forum is a fools game. If you have concerns, question your insurance agent. All insurance policies have exclusions that list what the policy doesn't cover, it is up to you to understand if/how they apply to being over GVWR or GCWR, truck modifications, et.al. It varies by state and insurance company.

If you are concerned about how the legal system views all this, talk to a lawyer. Unfortunately this is going to be different for each state/province/country (and maybe city) you travel through. To my knowledge British Columbia has been the most aggressive in going after over GVWR/GCWR RVs.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Tell that to the guy getting sued for his ARB bumper.

Even if insurance covers it, it's only to a monetary point. Once that's reached, you're on the hook for the rest. A $500k policy is only a couple surgeries.

Then he didn't buy enough. I have an umbrella. If you have stuff to lose, everyone should. It's only a couple of hundred bucks for a million or two of coverage.

Again, that's not how insurance works. They don't drop coverage due to breaking laws or doing dumb stuff like overloading vehicles.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Getting correct information about insurance coverages off of an internet forum is a fools game. If you have concerns, question your insurance agent. All insurance policies have exclusions that list what the policy doesn't cover, it is up to you to understand if/how they apply to being over GVWR or GCWR, truck modifications, et.al. It varies by state and insurance company.

If you are concerned about how the legal system views all this, talk to a lawyer. Unfortunately this is going to be different for each state/province/country (and maybe city) you travel through. To my knowledge British Columbia has been the most aggressive in going after over GVWR/GCWR RVs.

The USA is significantly more lax. Even if you do get pulled over and checked for overweight the only things that matter are axle ratings, tire ratings, and what your registration is for. Look it up in your state's DOT code if you want to argue.

Dalko43

Explorer
No doubt they are related, but the GVWR includes the payload rating, on paper, for a stock vehicle. Once you modify the vehicle to increase the actual payload that the vehicle is capable of handling, the vehicle is no longer in stock configuration. This is not that complicated.

I think part of the reason for the debate on this thread is that some people argue that there is no true way to replicate OEM engineering and modify vehicles to accept higher payloads...at least not with the "anything-goes" aftermarket in the US and Canada. In Australia, there are GVWR modifications that come with certificates demonstrating the modified components can in fact accept higher weight limits.

If you modify the suspension of a PW appropriately, I'm sure it will have no problems handling extra weight. Axles, brakes and frame are the same as those used in higher-GVWR variants of the 2500/3500. However, the articulink radius arms and disconnecting sway bars (which arguably account for a large portion of the PW's offroad prowess) still aren't rated for higher payloads....thus, you're assuming some risk when you go beyond the PW's GVWR.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Even that is a stretch. Unless you are commercial, or GROSSLY overloaded and it looks it, having anyone even check is unheard of in the US.

Also, for those that are still yammering about whether or not you can increase payload....

Sure you can.... just shed some weight.

Payload is nothing more than max GVWR - curb weight.

So, lighten your curb weight, and increase your payload ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3