Input on new 3rd generation 4runner purchase

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
The 4th-gen can be very capable, stock, maybe moreso than any previous generation. There's no denying the abilities of the A-TRAC system.

yosh1975

Observer
Well the 2004 sold already BUT....
I just found a 2.7 manual 4x4. Looks clean. I have the 2.7 in my Tacoma and it's been very good to me.
I am starting to think maybe Spring is a better time to shop for a 4runner.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
3L V6 was complete rubbish very wise to avoid it. I had it Toyota rebuilt it twice had to fly in a top guy to rebuild it again. No joke the printed labor and parts time both times was $8000. It was not all that good on power either. Gutless being a good description. Any of the other engines were good but Toyota's first V6 was terrible and highly advised to avoid it.

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
I've had 3 2nd gens and 3rd gens. 3rd gen is much better truck hands down - more reliable, more power, safer (airbags), much more comfortable, and newer. Denver area trucks bring a hefty premium. Check in areas like MO, AR, TX - most rust free and much cheaper.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Well the 2004 sold already BUT....
I just found a 2.7 manual 4x4. Looks clean. I have the 2.7 in my Tacoma and it's been very good to me.
I am starting to think maybe Spring is a better time to shop for a 4runner.
I think a 2.7/Manual combo would be great. I would totally rock that if I wanted another 3rd gen.
I'm pretty sure a 2.7/Auto would be awful, but without the slushbox to rob the engine of its power and economy, the 4 cyl should be fine.
My only concern with a 2.7 is that from what I recall, the 4 cyl models were pretty "stripped down" in terms of accomodations. For example, no AC would be a deal breaker for me (I don't know if all 3rd gens had AC or not, I'm pretty sure AC was part of the SR5 package.) Power windows and door locks are a nice convenience, although most of us lived without them just fine when we were younger (I got my first car with power windows in 2003, 25 years after I started driving.) Steel wheels are probably not a big deal to most of us (hell I went from alloy to steel on my current 4th gen.)
Honestly, if I was in the market for a 3rd gen and I had to choose between a 3.4/auto and a 2.7/manual, I'd take the 4 banger. The 3.4 engine is a tough, reliable motor, probably one of Toyota's best, but when mated to the slushbox, it had marginal power and sucky fuel economy. I get as good or better MPG in my 4th gen that is bigger, heavier and considerably more powerful than my 3rd gen (1999) with the 3.4/auto.

fireball

Explorer
Hi Yosh -

We've been very happy with our 3rd gen. It's been my wife's DD for the past year and half or so. It's an AUTO and gets about 17-21mpg. Certainly not fantastic but it's fine for what it is. If you're interested we are thinking of selling it....the LC has been sitting in the garage not being used the past few months since we inherited a Buick that I've been using a DD. The wife has been hinting about driving the LC :)

Send me a message if you might be interested. The 3rd gen 4R will be a great choice for you as long as it isn't too loaded down. Our kids are 11 and 13, and we have a 100# dog. With 4 people, the dog and a week's worth a gear it was just a bit too much to comfortably fit and carry in the 4R, that's why we upgraded to the LC.

Good luck!

p nut

butter
Hi Yosh -

We've been very happy with our 3rd gen. It's been my wife's DD for the past year and half or so. It's an AUTO and gets about 17-21mpg. Certainly not fantastic but it's fine for what it is. If you're interested we are thinking of selling it....the LC has been sitting in the garage not being used the past few months since we inherited a Buick that I've been using a DD. The wife has been hinting about driving the LC :)

Send me a message if you might be interested. The 3rd gen 4R will be a great choice for you as long as it isn't too loaded down. Our kids are 11 and 13, and we have a 100# dog. With 4 people, the dog and a week's worth a gear it was just a bit too much to comfortably fit and carry in the 4R, that's why we upgraded to the LC.

Good luck!

99, Highlander edition (hood scoop), rear locker -- sounds like a winner to me.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
You must check.... and this is critical... the windows must go down when you push the 'PWR' ECT button lest the windows blow out under the surge of power

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
You must check.... and this is critical... the windows must go down when you push the 'PWR' ECT button lest the windows blow out under the surge of power
That button is for EMERGENCIES ONLY! Like if you are being chased by drug dealers or angry cheetahs. Make sure you are on a straight road, too. Remember Toyota will not be responsible for whiplash injuries due to sudden acceleration. :sombrero:

yosh1975

Observer
Thanks everyone for the input.
I have noticed prices are a little higher in Denver but it seems there are more to choose from. I have been looking at a few States, AZ, TX, NM, OK.
I would love the 2.7 with manual but they are not near as common as the 3.4 auto.
I think my timing is off a little, searching for a 4x4 in Winter.
No rush for me.
Thanks again!

yosh1975

Observer
PMs responded to.
Also, there is a 2.7 4runner in lower Florida that someone was thinking of selling. It's here in the Toyota section. Looks decent. How do vehicles hold up in the sand, humidity, and salty ocean spray?

duckhunter71

Adventurer
What do you think of this one?
I looked at it while the place was closed, frame looked clean.
Well maintained.
http://www.kdkauto.com/details.cfm?...596-0C93-6567-076A4346B4BE3D36&cfid=285563840

That looks like a good one to me! I bought a 99 SR5 with 130k in 2012 for about the same and it wasn't nearly as clean as what you're looking at. That'd bring a good grand or two more in our market down here. If it is as clean as it looks in the pics and drives nice, I wouldn't be afraid of it. I also see that the timing belt was just replaced, so that's money in your pocket!

It's also a 1-owner vehicle with a perfect Carfax. I would give that one a hard look.

yosh1975

Observer
I think I gotta go talk to this dealer. I "dislike"dealers! Shoot, I work right around corner. There goes my adventure flying out west and driving an unknown vehicle home! My only concern is dealing with rust when replacing parts. Frame looked good, unlike my tacoma!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design