InssssssssVANity!!!!!!!......or ****** did I just fly to Maine to by a Sprinter!

Cole

Expedition Leader
Glad they arrived, apologize for the ghetto packing but they are a bit unconventional. Gotta love Colorado though, like they say, "don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes" Pissing rain here and a van full of water, hope it stops soon so I can get a sealant on there until I can get the LineX figured out!!!!

Thanks again! Packaging was fine. What else are you going to use an entire roll of 2 kinds of tape for anyway:coffeedrink: (it really was just fine)

njtacoma

Explorer

Cole

Expedition Leader
It seems like the Bridge height of the highway becomes an issue, at around 13 feet or so. According to this map from CDOT: http://www.coloradodot.info/busines...s/documents-1/HgtRestMap.pdf/at_download/file It would seem to me, that once you have to plan your route to avoid scraping things off on bridges you are "too tall".
My $.02

I asked this same question on the Sprinter forum. There were some pretty good comments about "old bridges" (mainly on the East Coast) and Trees. Two issues we don't have a big issue with around here. But it was good info. I figure the rack will really be under 10' total so that should keep things in "reasonable" check.

Cole

Expedition Leader
12238985664_7be0e880b2_b.jpg

12240075066_b2f7e808e0_b.jpg

12239502135_05b8dda9ea_b.jpg

Jb1rd

Explorer
How did you do the 3d renderings? that is awesome and could be very useful for layout purposes:sombrero:

Cole

Expedition Leader
Sketchup. Found one in the 3DWarehouse and started playing with it.

Amazing what you can do with a little searching. I have zero cad skills BTW, I'm an Economist:coffeedrink:

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Wow, cool pictures! This is the pro way of deciding layout options. Stoked to see the build of this ride.

Cole

Expedition Leader
leaving us hanging on the Sprinter thread

Cause it's been @&$);:)/-@&$);:ING COLD,!!:coffeedrink: I pretty much draw the line AT 20 BELOW ZERO!! (Or 50 degrees warmer than that :coffeedrink:)

That....and I've just fixed a bunch of miscellaneous stuff I didn't think you guys would really be interested in. I hate a vehicle with little **** broken and not sorted out!(I'm probably the guy you want to buy a car from:coffeedrink:)

12296746183_5600762e60_b_d.jpg

-new windshield!(and the state parks pass already installed)

12367936873_04f00340ee_b_d.jpg

I already put new wiper blades on this thing to get home from Maine. They were trashed!! Not even the right size either! But only one washer squirted worked, fortunately it was on the drivers side wiper blade! This little junction at the firewall was broken! This stupid little neglect drives me nuts! This type of thing makes a vehicle feel like junk but is so insanely cheap and easy to fix! The guy I ordered parts from on the Sprinter forum even tossed in this part for free! Except for the time waiting for the part to arrive, this was a 1 minute fix!
12368203794_8cf4181cc6_b_d.jpg

12367873553_8e81374639_b_d.jpg

-both sliders now work from inside and out! Only the passenger side slider worked when I got it, and only from the outside!:Wow1: got a brand new handle for the drivers side.....to replace the brand new handle the PO Hap hazzardly installed allowing it to break the first time I pulled on it! He was apparently to FN lazy (or dumb) to order the single screw that holds it all together.

(See....boring pics)

12367479283_938f2b86a7_b_d.jpg

Then, I installed a new upper wide view mirror on the drivers side to replace the broken one. HTF do you break this? Its a mirror! If you were backing up you should have seen the obstacle coming (at least though the window if not the mirror:coffeedrink:)

11740333833_5cf122123f_b_d.jpg

12367304575_912630bdaf_b_d.jpg

New rear bumper end caps to replace the chopped up ones. I'm sure they will get dirty enough to match soon!:coffeedrink:

Before, both sides were cut open.

11957059664_02b958e2f5_b_d.jpg

12367105545_98c0c2fea2_b_d.jpg

12367564934_84ebcb5962_b_d.jpg

-new heater control resistor......which did not solve the "no heater controls issue". So I'm off to ship my rebuilt control unit back so they can take a second stab at fixing it! This one thing is keeping me from some of the other work. I need the heater controls to work so that I can see if the furnace and coolant pump work. Once the furnace is fixed then I can see just how much insulation and other heat/AC planning I need to do!

12368178574_a5a84a4079_b_d.jpg

Helping!

12280481335_6329282a4f_b_d.jpg

Last edited:

Cole

Expedition Leader
Still have the two sets of Yakima roof tracks to install now that its a whopping 30* out:coffeedrink:

Maybe after I get the climate control shipped off again and a diagnostic wire for the espar heater wired up to the 7 day timer!

Jb1rd

Explorer
My bad, I am in shorts and flip flops contemplating whether or not to put on my wetsuit cuz the ocean is a frigid 60 something degrees oh hell who knows maybe its in the 70's Florida has softened me big time. I might be selling the Sprinter and buying a Quigley E350 EB, egads man I feel like I am on crazy pills. If I were home in Colorado I would swear it was contact buzz :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171236676647?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

If so its a good thing I still have two set of tracks left after selling 3 pair :)

Cole

Expedition Leader
What would the advantage of the 4x4 be for you?

Seems like you would give up a lot of other advantages of the Sprinter that would be more valuable more often!

Jb1rd

Explorer
What would the advantage of the 4x4 be for you?

Seems like you would give up a lot of other advantages of the Sprinter that would be more valuable more often!

Living in the Vail Valley and mountains 4wd is a nice feature and in the long run I think parts and ease of finding a mechanic is huge. I don't drive enough or tow for the gas mileage to be a factor and I can also have CCV install the penthouse top that I want. Plus I have always wanted a 4wd van, some kind of sickness I suppose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven