InssssssssVANity!!!!!!!......or ****** did I just fly to Maine to by a Sprinter!

Cole

Expedition Leader
Gotta love Craigslist !!!!!! Always get more (or less) than you bargained for :)

For the price of $40 I was expecting a little cleaning...:coffeedrink:

....but probably used up $15 worth of cleaner. I also run "Nature's Miracle" in the steam cleaner to eliminate pet odors. Mostly to keep my own dogs from eating or peeing on the seats because of something they smell.

They are pretty clean now. Just need to mount them up.

Just went through all 29 pages and all I can say is WOW. This thread is going to my motivation to find a build my own sprinter. I have two daughters (4 and 8 months) and as they get older we get more active. So I can defiantly see where you going with this. It's all about the girls. Only difference mine will probably be a daily driver. So I'm looking at the new dodge promaster window version.

Anyway, great thread you have going here, and lots of useful links provided by several people. I'm sure I'll end up reading this thread several times especially as time gets closer for me to get my van. Thanks again and looking forward to the future posts.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Decided that even though I haven't found a second seat base yet I would go ahead and mount one of the new seats.

Painted the metal structure of the seat base the body color of the van to match the front seat bases. These new seats should make it much easier to move around the van. The single middle seat was always in the way.

It was dusk, so the picture doesn't show the color well. But with the grey seat and the red/grey base it matches much better. I also repainted the kick plates in the step wells. The seat on the drivers side of the van is just sitting there.

13885193353_c92d434781_b_d.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
I've been moving slow on this build for a few reasons. One of which was to figure out exactly how we planned to use this van. (And studying other builds).

One of my design thoughts was validated yesterday when a friend found himself stranded with a flat tire. Made for a nice little 4 hour errand I hadn't planned into my Friday :coffeedrink:

The need to use this van as a utility vehicle/motorcycle hauler is going to dictate the way it ultimately ends up being built.

13935086515_38bae11fa6_b_d.jpg

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
I would think that trying to emulate the build style that Outside Van uses would fit perfectly for your intended use. Minus the neon powdercoating.

Cole

Expedition Leader
I would think that trying to emulate the build style that Outside Van uses would fit perfectly for your intended use. Minus the neon powdercoating.

I agree. I think I'm primarily torn by "how" I want to build it.

I could make the metal frame work with steel, but am intrigued by "8020". Unfortunately I can't find a local supplier.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I agree. I think I'm primarily torn by "how" I want to build it.

I could make the metal frame work with steel, but am intrigued by "8020". Unfortunately I can't find a local supplier.

Bosch Rexroth extruded framing (http://www13.boschrexroth-us.com/framing_shop/default.aspx) is an alternative to 80/20. If you have a local Fastenal, they can order any of the profiles and hardware you need (80/20 and Bosch)...and to be honest ordering through Fastenal was actually a little cheaper and less hassle than the local distributor.
I have a surplus store nearby that sells the ******** out of reclaimed 80/20... Check your area for tech industry surplus sellers.

Prubah

Awesome Thread. I've spent my Easter morning reading this one. I plan on doing something similar(recently took a 2014 I4 2500 for a ride). I too need a multifunctional vehicle. Go modular with the inside. Have attachment points that allow the van to be converted from Utility to Toy hauler to camper to party cruiser. Can have mounting positions on walls or a track system on walls where cabinets/etc can be hung like (picture hangers). Keep everything lightweight and you'd be able to swap out roles pretty quickly.
On another point, do you ever wish you had 4wheel drive/awd? I am wondering if it's worth the added cost and hit in mpg to wait for the 2015 v6 4x4? Not really planning on offroading with this as I'll have a pair of TW200s for that.
The cork insulation idea is awesome.. I was thinking treaded cellulose or down, but the cork chopped up seems like a much better approach.

Cole

Expedition Leader
If they had made a 4wd version I would have sought it out. Not worth the premium to me to buy a new van to get it.

I've thought about many options for converting this one to 4wd. But the reality is that 99% of the places I'd take it I could probably do with the dually.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Finally had some time to work on my close quarters engine photography skills. (Or the only way to see the leak at the back injector is with a cell phone camera)

The van had a bit of "Black Death". Basically an injector leak on the rear most cylinder ........duh.......it could never be just the front cylinder....:coffeedrink:

This is what Black Death looks like.....basically burned up caked on diesel carbon from leaking out the injector.

14110275665_a89fe3b20e_b_d.jpg

Lots of oven cleaner and crazy use of tools outside their intended use and you get back to a sealable surface. (Actually cleaned some more beyond this picture, it was just the last one I had after delegating several)

The parts were $3, shipping was $6!

14110664374_371b127798_b_d.jpg

Van is MUCH quieter now! Should also have more power(time to flex that Green Diesel Engineering tune!), better fuel mileage and not smell like diesel anymore!

I also charged the AC which seemed to work great tonight.......we will see if it stays working in the next few days!

Last edited:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
If you drive for a while with the plastic cover that sits over the injectors off then the remaining "black death" residue will slowly disappear when the engine gets hot enough.

So you had no real issues pulling the injector out? Just replaced the washer and hold down bolt I guess?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven