InssssssssVANity!!!!!!!......or ****** did I just fly to Maine to by a Sprinter!

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Thanks guys! :sombrero:

I've built a lot of projects in the past and have been amazed at how much work this van is actually taking. I can see why some of the conversions are priced the way they are.

Yeah, the prices seem exorbitant until you've done one for yourself. Suddenly the idea of writing a big check doesn't seem so bad to me!

Cole

Expedition Leader
I'm still trying to figure out it slick way to use 80/20 so I'm open to suggestions:chef:

Here are a few shots from last night working on the cabinet bottoms. We took 1/2 and cut it down to 3/8 on the edges to make it a very snug fit to keep them from rattling.

I'm a bit worried about the measurement accuracy after seeing the expression on Jonathan's face here:coffeedrink:

It's amazing how a square bit of wood helps get all the 80/20 square!

15046096155_c93e37ce63_b_d.jpg

15042937661_84e990d62f_b_d.jpg

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Yeah, the prices seem exorbitant until you've done one for yourself. Suddenly the idea of writing a big check doesn't seem so bad to me!

Agreed! Lol... My fourth van will already be done! All that it will need is a U-Joint conversion.

Cole

Expedition Leader
I've seen a couple of comments that without thermally isolating the 80/20 from the van that it would effectively make the insulation worthless.

So I've been playing with a laser thermometer and here is basically what I have found so far. Will take some cold weather reading this weekend when camping above 10,000'

Outside of van in the sun.

15054963735_56bb17ddd5_b_d.jpg

Exact same spot inside the van on the 80/20 cargo rail.

15031954386_74af5a0a49_b_d.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
Went camping this weekend (actually still here:coffeedrink:)

Always fun to make a little progress and then use the van. Especially the contrast from sleeping on a dirty cargo floor the first night I owned it, to sleeping in the drivers seat because it was warmer, to now. Not done yet, but what a difference!

Very warm and cozy now and I still have 2/3 of the ceiling to finish insulating.

We went camping with some friends and it was fun to sit and watch them unpack and set up all their junk since we have virtually zero set up time now. Even the Eurovan needs setup and taken down. The Sprinter is just good to go once you shut the key off.

15105861172_dc72ac1896_b_d.jpg

Last edited:

draaronr

Adventurer
I've seen a couple of comments that without thermally isolating the 80/20 from the van that it would effectively make the insulation worthless.

So I've been playing with a laser thermometer and here is basically what I have found so far. Will take some cold weather reading this weekend when camping above 10,000'

Outside of van in the sun.

15054963735_56bb17ddd5_b_d.jpg

Exact same spot inside the van on the 80/20 cargo rail.

15031954386_74af5a0a49_b_d.jpg

Where are your detractors now. Lol. Great job

Cole

Expedition Leader
On this last outing I mounted the bed up high on the cargo rail again to test it out. This made it MUCH easier to access gear under it and made a nice den for my two dogs.

This also pointed out one of the random quirks of buying an old used van. :coffeedrink:At one point my left rear door had been replaced with one from a passenger van. You might notice in some of the earlier photos that one door was white inside. I've at least half painted the white door to match from the inside....but the glass did not match.( and still doesn't really:coffeedrink:)

You never "really" noticed that one window was tinted and the other one clear until the bed was up in the area of the glass. All of the sudden it looked very "trashy" in my mind from outside when we were parked on the street.

So, Tuesday after getting home from the weekend of camping I had clear window tinted 5%. It's not a "perfect" match but close enough, and hides the stuff inside much better. Also made the van feel nicer inside.

Before:

14943162809_882e085726_b_d.jpg

After: Without finding a factory tinted "Passenger" van rear window and then tinting it they would never looks "exactly" the same. But if you aren't looking for the differences then they are "close enough" and hide what's behind them(which is the real goal anyway)

14951450820_ec9f73764a_b_d.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
Both doors actually have defrost. The one on the left has factory tint and the defrost lines show up black. The one on the right didn't have factory tint so the defrost lines show up orange.

Cole

Expedition Leader
If I ever stumbled upon a factory match I'd probably consider swapping it. But I think they break when being removed.

Orlov

Don't forget to remove the plastic trays in the doorsteps. There is probably sand, mud and rust underneath.

And fog lights are of no real use. You need some good driving lights. :)

Qpax-sprinter.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
That light bar looks like it would smash your window on a bumpy back road:Wow1:

My fog lights would work much better if I would hook them up:coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz