InssssssssVANity!!!!!!!......or ****** did I just fly to Maine to by a Sprinter!

Cole

Expedition Leader
My basic plan is to build a "Basecamp" type van with a mudular set up so it can still be used for cargo! extra.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Just to keep this place lively I shot some video and pictures of the trip from Denver, Colorado to Augusta, Maine and back:coffeedrink:

Includes all the joyful elements you would expect in a long road trip :coffeedrink:

Shocker

VanDOOM!
There has been a lot of controversy about how well the foil covered bubble wrap insulates. The general consensus is that the R values have been over stated to a great degree. Now, if it is used in conjunction with foam or some other kind of insulation the reflective benefits show up.

I am going to use a combo of things for VanDOOM. Foam board against the steel wall, and then reflective wrap (like the Reflectix) on the paneling that will be applied to the inside wall of VanDOOM. There needs to be an air space between the Reflectix and the foam board to maximize the insulating properties.

Cole

Expedition Leader
There has been a lot of controversy about how well the foil covered bubble wrap insulates. The general consensus is that the R values have been over stated to a great degree. Now, if it is used in conjunction with foam or some other kind of insulation the reflective benefits show up.

I am going to use a combo of things for VanDOOM. Foam board against the steel wall, and then reflective wrap (like the Reflectix) on the paneling that will be applied to the inside wall of VanDOOM. There needs to be an air space between the Reflectix and the foam board to maximize the insulating properties.

Here is my basic budget strategy right now.

-1 row of peel-N-seal on the bare sheet metal with the edges sealed with aluminum duct tape. This adds to its adhesion and keeps it from smelling when hot. This should offer some mass to the big metal panels to decadent them some. I'll also use it to seal off any open air holes that would let moisture into those particular cavities.

-Then recycled denim insulation stuffed in he the walls. This is apparently fire retardant, and absorbs lots more sound along with the insulation. It also doesn't turn itchy or leave fiberglass or other issues in the van. Then a layer of vapor barrier over each opening on the inside of the van. Then 1/4" wood paneling covered in aluminum diamond plate or carpet depending on location.

Cole

Expedition Leader
FWIW don't worry about insulation and get a diesel forced air furnace.

Have it, just need to get it working.

Insulation is for much more than "heat" alone.

-A well sound deadened vehicle is much less fatiguing to drive long distances, easier to hear the people people in the back, hear what the dogs are doing etc. Easier to sleep in at night, easier to keep noises inside! Which you will appreciate when I'm camped near you with an 11 month old baby:coffeedrink: (also easier to stealth camp in if people outside can't hear you rustling around)

-I want to keep as much baking heat OUT in the summer as possible. We always travel with 2 large dogs and sometimes that simply means you have to leave them in the van at times. Lots of ways to keep a van safe and cool for them and good insulation is a key part of that equation!!:sombrero:

-You can save a ton of diesel. And have a quieter interior if you don't have to run the furnace constantly to stay warm! Also much nicer to have a "cozy" warmth kept in the van and not a "blazing" hot air constantly blowing. There are also temps outside that can make a furnace nearly worthless without insulation!! I've spent many hours this winter inside my Eurovan with outside temps below zero. More insulation would be nice!!

-Good insulation will also help keep the AC cold air inside during the blazing heat! Which will also lower fuel costs by not running the AC as hard all the time!

All of this translates to a happier wife, daughter, dogs, trip, fuel saving that will be greater than the cost of the insulation, etc etc:victory:

Cole

Expedition Leader
I've been making a list of things to get done on the Sprinter. Trying to keep it reasonable. (I'll save the giant holes in the roof for later:coffeedrink:)

I'm still exploring the basic design options. But ultimately want to build something like this. Sporty, and versatile! I have to keep in mind that I sold my parts hauler to buy the Sprinter. So the Sprinter still needs to be able to haul some cargo around for other projects. So some modularity will be needed.

maxresdefault.jpg

I have a list of things that need "fixed" and cleaned up on the van first. Mostly little stuff but it will take a little while to sort them out. Some will just happen naturally as I build the van.

I've also realized I have some stuff "left over" of compatible from the Eurovan. I have been exploring a bunch of seat options for the back for my daughter to ride on. Actually bought a 3 person Sprinter rear seat that was supposed to have been a "short" version that allows you to walk past it. When I got it home(in the Eurovan due to snow and bald tires still on the Sprinter) I found out it was a full width seat and you can't walk past it in the van. No worries. Paid $150 (he was asking $1,500 originally:Wow1:) and sold it a few days later for $200:coffeedrink: Now I'm thinking I might use the fridge jump seat base I got from the Eurovan to make a platform for the Recaro child seat to sit on. I'm not seeing any reason it needs to sit on an actual seat, just needs to be the same level of secure.

Which would leave the Sprinter as a "3 seater" and give me room for a dog bed on each side of her seat. (2 dogs):smiley_drive:

Then there is the flooring. Some of you may remember the wood laminate flooring I did in my Eurovan. I bought 3 boxes of the stuff so that I could do the floor and the two upper bed roof panels to match. Then I decided after doing the floor that the stuff was going to add too much weight to the upper panels. Which left me with 2 boxes left over. It took just shy of one box to do the floor of the Eurovan. I don't think I have enough left over to do the entire Sprinter, but I should be able to do at least the front half and already have it.

9729244334_510159ea65_b.jpg

Which leave me to the back half, "cargo" floor. The van already has marine grade plywood flooring in it. Its just a bit scuffed up and ugly. It also shortens the overall height of the van inside. So adding a thick layer of rubber or something on top of it takes up headroom. The stock van has 6'2" of headroom, minus about 3/4" for the marine grade flooring. I'm 6'2" tall so I still have to "barely" duck inside.

So this morning I got up, made my wife her fancy coffee in her Chemex coffee maker. This led me to an experiment I figured was worth trying with the Sprinter. I took the left over coffee and grounds out to the Sprinter and poured it on the floor and mopped it in. I figure with as much coffee as I've spilled in the Eurovan over the last year we may as well just stain the floor of the Sprinter with coffee right up front:coffeedrink:

It may take a couple of days of treatment but if I can get the wood to take on a nice coffee tone in the back it should blend well with the wood look vinyl up front and make for a solid cargo floor. Good, free, reuse project of materials I already have laying around!...we will see how it turns out. :coffeedrink:

If anyone wants to come over and spill coffee in my van you are welcome to :coffeedrink:

First round of coffee on the floor! (and yes, I need to paint the inside of that rear door that was obviously replaced, thinking of doing a duplicolor bedliner on them. cheap, easy)

:coffeedrink:

11871484226_966876c336_b.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
Well, I made some progress on the Ironvan today!

A whole bunch of boxes showed up. New dash pieces with new vents for both driver and passenger side, oil change, and a whole pile of new 16" wheels off a newer Sprinter! Also bought $30 worth of exhaust pieces to repair the missing tailpipe from the trip home!

11878095874_9a3c1d68eb_b_d.jpg

16" wheels off a NCV3 Sprinter. These should allow me to mount 235/85/16s instead of the tiny 195/70/15s

I'm going to paint these black!

11876485625_150ecb2a1f_b_d.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
The vents were broken on both sides. So I bought new vent pieces for both driver and passenger sides. I hate it when stuff doesn't work and want to get the van back up to its true glory first!

11878493576_98e8ae6162_b_d.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
Here you can see both sets of new vent panels installed. But I had to remove the totally non-functional heater controls. I'm going to try one of the $100 lifetime warranty rebuild places to see if I can start to get the climate controls to work again.

11877931283_0f800c98d5_b_d.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
Welded up a new tailpipe from the muffler back!

Nothing fancy but needed to get it solid so that I can go do an emissions test and get my registration, etc.

11877307416_22e347fee2_b_d.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven