Intro from the Mid-South

Memphislex

Observer
Hey gang, I've been lurking on Mud and here for quite awhile as I've always been a Toyota nut and more specifically a fan of Landcruisers and the outdoors. I'd love to gather more info on good spots to travel around Kentucky, Arkansas, Missouri, and into Eastern Tennessee

After waffling over wanting a 100 series for daily driving comfort I came to my senses and realized a 80 was really the only option ;) After searching around I cam across a 1997 LX450 with a 2.5 old man emu lift and arb front bumper minus a winch but still a great basis i thought for building a rig. so i set off with a few pals from Memphis to OKC to get my new addition to the driveway family, and made a pit stop in the Ozarks to stretch her legs a bit.

This guy has grown very close with my SC300 at home
DSC_0320.jpg

Gotta start out with a parking violation - Steven's legally parked Benz
DSC_0330.jpg

3 guys in a Festiva traveling 9 hours fun fun
DSC_0335.jpg

OUch... first tank of gas...
DSC_0345.jpg

Gotta get some Chicken
DSC_0349.jpg

My buddy loading up some goods
2f1d1204.jpg

Fort Smith seems like a pretty cool place
DSC_0352.jpg

Got to the fire road
DSC_0378.jpg

DSC_0377.jpg

DSC_0366.jpg

DSC_0382.jpg

Last edited:

Memphislex

Observer
The forest road got worse as the morning went on
DSC_0387.jpg

DSC_0394.jpg

DSC_0393.jpg

Poser flex shots
DSC_0400.jpg

Then the only way to end the trip well we find this sign as we exit the forest...
DSC_0405.jpg

After i get one of 3 cars in my driveway sold i plan on getting to work on this LX a bit more...Adding first a winch i am still undecided on which route to go on that front, homemade sliders, rear bumper with tire carrier, and a basket up top(still not sure which route to go on that as well)

btw this is my asphalt queen - SC300 NA-T 5 speed got a Soarer 1JZ sitting in a friends shop waiting to meet her
4777514b.jpg

Last edited:

Memphislex

Observer
thanks guys. The 1997 Lexus line up minus the ES300 are some of my favorite vehicles in the last 25 years.

Bomar i take it you know of the green 80 on 35's. He's a good buddy of mine, i think i've tried to buy his truck for the last 4-5 years lol There is a Silver 40th lifted i see around my neighbor hood off whitestation pretty often

bomar

Adventurer
Are you talking about Mark Heckle?

Mark F drives the white truck that is at Hilton Corp Kelvar MTR's35's, supercharger, IPOR rear, ARB, linex'd rockers.

Also another white truck in E. Memphis. Also Cam rolling around in a rootbeer 60.

I lived off of Colonial/Park still own it but in AR right now.

Came to souther cruiser crawl the first week of Oct in Hot Springs.

The MS forum on ih8mud.com is the hangout spot since no real club close.

Good group forming in M-town.

Memphislex

Observer
cool good to know. the guy i see with the 40th in town looks to have the 4 inch lift and stock bumpers that have taken a serious beating. id love to see the one you are speaking of. there is also a guy around the corner from me with a white 80 series with a snorkel and what appears to be a bunch of fishing equipment with him all the time

bomar

Adventurer
The 40th that took a beating is Todd and yes that truck has been on its roof at Gray Rock but it is still going strong.

He is running 2.5 OME lift. I think. He is Cam FJ60's brother.

desmocruiser

Observer
Great choice with the 80, they ride good enough and modification choices are plentiful and a really nice score with the roof rack/air deflector delete, rare on Toyotas even more so on LX's.

Unfortunately, ETN is a little challenged for any expedition type stuff, if that is what you are looking for, but we got plenty of spots to pinstripe that pretty black paint.

Keep us posted on the build.

memcruiser

Observer
Lex,

Welcome to cruisers. I think I live near you. I am at white station and walnut grove. I am in the 100 club however. Mark F and I get together for lunch sometimes and talk cruisers. Join us sometime. Mark F is a good person to get info from on the 80. His has a very nice vehicle.

As far as expedition type stuff, I usually go to the ozark national forrest. It is great but takes about 4 hours to get there. I go about 3 times a year. Also the Ouachita National Forrest near hot springs is good. There is also Mark Twain national forrest just in missouri, but I have not explored that yet.

Richland creek in the ozarks

IMG00062-20100411-1618.jpg

Last edited:

Memphislex

Observer
Lex,

Welcome to cruisers. I think I live near you. I am at white station and walnut grove. I am in the 100 club however. Mark F and I get together for lunch sometimes and talk cruisers. Join us sometime. Mark F is a good person to get info from on the 80. His has a very nice vehicle.

As far as expedition type stuff, I usually go to the ozark national forrest. It is great but takes about 4 hours to get there. I go about 3 times a year. Also the Ouachita National Forrest near hot springs is good. There is also Mark Twain national forrest just in missouri, but I have not explored that yet.

Richland creek in the ozarks

View attachment 45211

Awesome, glad to hear there are so many Expo cruiser guys in the area. I'll have to keep a look out for you guys. Im just south of Holy Rosary I've got a friend thats been wanting to check out the Mark Twain National Forest funny you mention it!

Did a lot of St. Francis Nat'l Forest this past weekend with a few friends.

It was the first time in my life camping at low elevation in the south during the summer. I am used to the Blue Ridge Mountains and Ozarks during the summer, the bugs and heat were quite an experience

4068754d.jpg

This swamp area off the Mississippi river is home to a nice collection of egrets you can see a few of them
bd7f1158.jpg

3f90beb0.jpg

638055f5.jpg

fb85b22e.jpg

21e8d9fc.jpg

a8c7d457.jpg

b1ad7158.jpg

Pzary3233

Ha! Robert stole my photos.

OKC was a fun trip. Made me really get the cruiser bug.... After my current project is finished I will have one.

Wander

Expedition Leader
Nice looking 80, looks like you've got a good start on the build as well.

For ETN info I'd pm a guy in Nashville named Dendy-his handle here is Nashville Rover. I'm way over in ENC but I am familiar with Tellico which has more than heavy krawling trails-there are trails for every level/purpose. Driving between Knoxville and Nashville (which I do often for work) I've noticed a lot of dirt roads that head up into the hills that I've wanted to check out, I have no clue if any are part of a trail system but it would be fun to find out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad