Is the Pro 4x Worth it?

Strizzo

Explorer
I may have missed where someone has done that, but I wasn't arguing that. I only compared the FJ to the Xterre because they are similar in size and price, and my wheeling buddy drives one. My argument is that Toyota's in general are better on the trail than the nissans are, and that the suspension travel is largely the reason. I don't consider the FJ "magical" but when you see a FJ or 4 runner with long travel shocks and ATRACS go over the same thing your Xterra with a OME lift does the difference in performance is readily apparent.

There are things i like better about the x...engine, interior lay out...etc...

the original statement (couple pages back now) was what i originally asked for clarification on, since the way it was worded was that the stock FJ wheels circles around a/any modded xterra, without any statement as to what sort of mods were done on the xterra.

ATRAC is just another toyota acronym for the same thing i have on my xterra, an electronic limited slip. when one tire spins the abs system grabs the brake on the spinning wheel to transfer power to the other side. Toyota markets their acronyms to make it seem like nobody else has it (the only car company with the STAR safety system, fancy name for front and side airbags and seatbelt pretensioners).

as for the swaybar disconnect, once you lift 2" in the front, you need longer endlinks or they'll bind, limiting droop travel and tearing up the swaybar bushings. i was running no front sway and just the rear, which balances out the flex a bit, shifting more articulation to the front end, but i've since pulled the rear bar as well and i'm pretty happy with it. it handles fine as long as you keep the tires aired up, 30 psi in the duratracs = body roll and bad mileage.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
yeah I'm not sure removing the sway bars is a good thing to do on the highway. Having to make an emergency maneuver on the highway with a load at 70-75mph is sketch as it is. doing it without sway bars isn't exactly a recipe for success. Those parts serve a rather important purpose on the road.

I think its pretty crazy no one makes sway bar disconnects for a truck that has been on the market for 10 years now. Seems like that would be a good solution for the truck.

Last edited:

lizardking

It was built to be an offroad capable utility vehicle, not a crawler. Should it then be a shock that it fails as a crawler? The FJ was not meant to be a utility vehicle, otherwise you could see out of the damnable thing. Nice try though.

The xterra doesn't fail as a crawler. I mean, I guess it matters what you mean by crawler but 1.5" of travel doesn't make the FJ do more trails then the X. At whatever point the FJ starts to fail the X is right there too. Even without the titan swap. It is about the same amount of work to get 35"s on a FJ as X. Now the JK/JKU is a different animal with different resources but the FJs and Xs are out there running the same trails as the JKs. Sure the JKs sometimes do it a little easier but we still make it up the hills and climb the same rocks...

Titan swap
nikon%2B086.JPG

3" lift
i-HpxT3WP-X3.jpg

KiwiKurt

Explorer
And that's the voice of reason. Comparing the two platforms, does .75" in either direction actually make a difference.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I just want to chime in to say that the Xterra is 10 times better looking than any FJ Cruiser :)

Overbloated bulbous things they are

TacPen

More Toyota fanboyship is what makes the FJ better when stock, derr.

Right, and ignorance apparently reinforces your opinion. Oh well, I guess every forum is bound to have one.

TacPen - i'm curious what it is about the stock FJ that makes you say it out-wheels the lifted xterra, since on paper they're pretty similar. is it the locker that makes the difference, in which case its an apples/oranges comparison.

Man, that's what I was wondering. Not the locker, I had A-TRAC off and didn't use the locker. I did the same climb in all vehicles (regular shooting spot we go to has a nice rutted wash with boulders) and even my buddy's 4th Gen 4Runner and the Xterra had by far hardest time. All vehicles had BFG A/Ts except the X which has Yokahama Geolanders but I don't think that's the deciding factor. 35s on the JK, 33s on the 4Runner, 31s on the FJ (stock, no lift) and 32s on the X (2" lift). All of them aired down to 20# (except the Jeep, I air it down to 16#) Going down wasn't an issue, it did fine and was stable but it really struggled for traction going up. I want to say that the front has less articulation and the rear just isn't the same. Doesn't seem to bite as well with the leaf springs compared to coils. It was the only vehicle that had to do 3 tries to get up the hill. My buddy with a lifted YJ and 33s actually couldn't make it up at all but that thing is a piece of s#!t and I keep telling him he should just sell it.

That said, I really dig the Xterra and will probably replace this one with another. I'd definitely like to upgrade the suspension though. I'm still convinced that a properly built X will hold its own and just don't think the FJ is worth the price premium.

steve c

Adventurer
Fill in the ignorant? :confused:
is that an "extended travel" set up?

There's a guy on the newX who has an xterra, but according to how he posts, hates it.
I was just trying to be funny! Not really funny if you don't know of the guy.

Yes, the PRG advanced kit has Radflo 2.5" extended coil overs.
I know, not relevant to our conversation.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
There's a guy on the newX who has an xterra, but according to how he posts, hates it.
I was just trying to be funny! Not really funny if you don't know of the guy.

Yes, the PRG advanced kit has Radflo 2.5" extended coil overs.
I know, not relevant to our conversation.

I don't hate mine. It's a nice truck. I'm just realistic....the reality is the Toyotas are better than the Nissans on the trail, and suspension travel and articulation is the biggest reason. Its an oversight Nissan shouldn't have made that is easily corrected by the aftermarket, but they only offer mediocre support at best compared to what is out there for Toyotas.

So, no, I don't hate it, I just most likely won't buy another Nissan for those reasons.

Strizzo

Explorer
yeah I'm not sure removing the sway bars is a good thing to do on the highway. Having to make an emergency maneuver on the highway with a load at 70-75mph is sketch as it is. doing it without sway bars isn't exactly a recipe for success. Those parts serve a rather important purpose on the road.

I think its pretty crazy no one makes sway bar disconnects for a truck that has been on the market for 10 years now. Seems like that would be a good solution for the truck.

I haven't had any issues without them, nearly 20k miles and a trip to moab so far. even less of an issue if you swap to higher rate springs in front. Sportscar it isn't, but it gets around just fine.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Yeah, can't do it. Got a family, not going to take a chance.

The solution for me is, if someone doesnt make sway bar disconnects by the time i change the lift, ill fabricate some.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Yeah, can't do it. Got a family, not going to take a chance.

The solution for me is, if someone doesnt make sway bar disconnects by the time i change the lift, ill fabricate some.

quick disconnects are the right solution for the problem.

Last edited:

lizardking

Right, and ignorance apparently reinforces your opinion. Oh well, I guess every forum is bound to have one.

Man, that's what I was wondering. Not the locker, I had A-TRAC off and didn't use the locker. I did the same climb in all vehicles (regular shooting spot we go to has a nice rutted wash with boulders) and even my buddy's 4th Gen 4Runner and the Xterra had by far hardest time. All vehicles had BFG A/Ts except the X which has Yokahama Geolanders but I don't think that's the deciding factor. 35s on the JK, 33s on the 4Runner, 31s on the FJ (stock, no lift) and 32s on the X (2" lift). All of them aired down to 20# (except the Jeep, I air it down to 16#) Going down wasn't an issue, it did fine and was stable but it really struggled for traction going up. I want to say that the front has less articulation and the rear just isn't the same. Doesn't seem to bite as well with the leaf springs compared to coils. It was the only vehicle that had to do 3 tries to get up the hill. My buddy with a lifted YJ and 33s actually couldn't make it up at all but that thing is a piece of s#!t and I keep telling him he should just sell it.

That said, I really dig the Xterra and will probably replace this one with another. I'd definitely like to upgrade the suspension though. I'm still convinced that a properly built X will hold its own and just don't think the FJ is worth the price premium.

Tires do make a differnce but more then that driver, lines, what phase the moon is in.... I am partial kidding but I have seen rigs with similar builds go up the same obstacle with similar lines and it is always different. Some get stuck. Some get over. Heck, I have been down trails that I have run multiple time and sometimes I ace it and sometimes I have to take multiple runs at an obstacle. I am not trying to say the X is better then the FJ or the JK but it is a capable rig. Here a good example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6tQIpQG4js

from around 4 minutes to around 7 minutes the first xterra struggles to make it up. It finally did and I missed getting on camera. At around 7:10 the second xterra makes it up in one pass. The first x had a titan swap. The second didn't. Both had rear lockers. Driver, tires, luck...

TacPen

quick disconnects are the right solution for the problem.

Yeah, it is. The issue being that the way the sway bars are designed doesn't allow them to be disconnected and moved out of the way as easily as in a JK. That said, sooner or later someone will think of a better solution for this. It's just too good of a mod to leave alone.

I am not trying to say the X is better then the FJ or the JK but it is a capable rig.

It is, capable as heck. I think properly built, the X is a better all-around vehicle than the FJ, and it has more personality.

A built JK really is just amazing off-road but I think that's mostly the solid front axle, break-over and sway-bar disconnects. There's nothing inherently magic about a Jeep. I'd love to see a SAS FJ or X wheel next to a JK or TJ and see how that works out. I still can't get over the s#$tty build quality for what Chrysler is charging for those things though. I so desperately want to trade up to a 3.6L JK and just can't get myself to do it.

As for the driver being the deciding factor, boy is that right. A few weeks ago on Crown King my buddy with the built JKU Rubicon, locked front and rear with a 3.5" lift had to get winched up a hill my JK ran open. He wasn't interested in listening to his spotter and just thought he could throttle it through and got dug in. Of course, now he's upgrading to 37s like that's going to solve his problem.

-shrug-

Viggen

Just here...
I still can't get over the s#$tty build quality for what Chrysler is charging for those things though. I so desperately want to trade up to a 3.6L JK and just can't get myself to do it.

I had a Jeep. Done with it. Build quality has not gotten any better.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
I looked at the JKU Rubicon. I walked away laughing out loud when they told me they wanted 45k for it.

It always amazes me how much debt people are willing to incur for things, and how quickly high prices will be forked over. 45k, for a wrangler, is absolutely insane yet people line up at jeep dealerships tripping over each other to pay whatever the dealership decides to charge them for it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven