Isuzu npr 4wd

gator70

Always decisions to be made

Which purchase should be done for circa $450?

A portable 3600 watt duel fuel generator

or

400 watts of portable solar panels

Last edited:

gator70

What chatGPT says:

Q: When a 600 amp hr battery bank is installed, with 1000 watts of solar panels charging this battery bank, when a 30 amp shore power is plugged in with an automatic transfer switch, what happens to the solar panel output?

A: When you plug in shore power with an automatic transfer switch (ATS), the shore power typically takes priority for powering your loads and charging your battery bank. However, the solar panel output will not stop; it will continue to charge the battery bank as long as the sun is shining. Depending on the charge controller settings, it may reduce its output to prevent overcharging the batteries if the shore power charger is already working at full capacity. The system balances between the two sources to optimize battery charging.

gator70

My custom rear bumper gets an addition

(paid a extra $50 to get the Isuzu bolt pattern custom cut)

Attachments

• swingaway.JPG
    swingaway.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 10

gator70

I've been reading and watching other builders seek solutions for steps/ladders to reach the habitat entry door.

I found this retractable product. It is 48" high so it should reach the ground (I have 37" tires and a 6" subframe height)

I need comments.

1728744707095.png

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I've been reading and watching other builders seek solutions for steps/ladders to reach the habitat entry door.
I found this retractable product. It is 48" high so it should reach the ground (I have 37" tires and a 6" subframe height)
While being a huge fan of Little Giant products, and wanting to use their 4 step 'Jumbo Step' (a 'step angle', not a 'ladder angle', plus build quality) it was just not high enough to use with my set-up. So I ended up using a Louisville Ladder 4 step ladder. Very light weight but still super strong. I prefer a regular ladder as opposed to a fixed set of steps as I can use the ladder independently around the truck for access, and even away from the vehicle to set something up, or cut a branch, etc.
lg.pngl.png
Regardless of type/style, make sure to have a hand rail (or grab handle on the vehicle) for safety.

grabhandle.jpg

Ultimark

Steps into a high mounted camper need to be very stable the higher you go. Once over a certain height and if the steps are not standing on the ground, then sturdiness becomes paramount and harder to attain.

We thought about doing something freestanding, as in, not touching the ground. However with our approximate 1250mm height requirement for the top step from the ground, which is the top step or camper floor, this was going to be problematic. Especially as our requirements for rigidity were changing as we aged.

We had this heavy duty, ladder like, set of steps made specifically for our camper when on the truck. The steps themselves are 175mm vertically apart from each other.

The final and best thing was the addition on either side of a Black Adda levelling unit. It is very rare that one gets dead level ground for steps, the addition of the Black Adda units transformed the situation and make our steps very rigid no matter the slope or surface.

Mick.

Steps_Black_Adder_20241013_135005.jpg

gator70

Black Adda levelling unit

I like this option, I don't like the price.

For me I can buy a very sturdy aluminum one step platform. It cost about $29. I can take out my shovel and level the soil under this. then lean the ladder I have shown on top of it.

1728792838925.png

BTW: The aluminum 48" retractable ladder is for boat transoms. Engineered to be free standing in the air above the water. Yet I plan on using it by reaching solid ground.

The 5 step little giant stair/ladder is most commonly used. But requires a place to store it

I like the retractable design.

I'm thinking of a platform on top.

(buying two of theses -disassembling them and harvesting parts)

1728792718757.png

Last edited:

DzlToy

Explorer
There is no reason for them to touch the ground, as your first step is easily 8" - 12" / 200mm - 300mm above it.

Built properly, folding and floating steps are quite stable and easy to use.

gator70

Interesting thing!

Buying metal parts for fabrications is more expensive than buying retail products (made in China) and harvesting material from them.

Part of managing an expedition vehicle build budget is to be innovative in engineering and not just "custom fabricate" everything at those extremely high costs.

Last edited:

gator70

Managing air conditioning amp draws in hot climates is challenging.

I've invested in A/C average draws of 35 amps. (28 low - 58 high)

Many of the locations I will travel will be at 90 degrees. With a insolated box with 55mm of composite walls this helps.

After dark is the issue since the temperature does not drop to 65 degrees until 3 am.

From 6pm to 3am the A/C unit will run off the battery bank. It is expected that the batteries may not support that timespan.

The 12v refrigerator cannot be in a situation with a battery bank with no power. My habitat is equipped with a custom fuse box just for the refrigerator. I could wire a circuit with a two way switch than enables me to plug in a portable power source for hot nights only.

Another solution is to plug in a 4000w propane generator from 7pm to 10pm into the shore power plug. This would charge batteries during that short timespan.

Last edited:

Ultimark

There is no reason for them to touch the ground, as your first step is easily 8" - 12" / 200mm - 300mm above it.

Built properly, folding and floating steps are quite stable and easy to use.

In general I agree with you, however we are in a situation where even the slightest movement, which one can see as the lady steps onto the steps, is unacceptable.

We now require absolute steadiness of the steps into the camper, and before you ask, we have solved the issue of getting into the cabin of the truck; thankfully.

As a matter of interest, the camper pod that comes with those steps, is around $350,000 AUD and upwards. Which is an eye watering price, even in Australia where things are more expensive than in most other countries.

Mick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC