J8 to be built in South Carolina ???

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I will say that the killer of off road performance is weight, any idea what all this metal is going to be doing to the weight of the vehicle?

I see a LOT of JKUs on the trail that are WAY over the GVW of the vehicle, perhaps by a ton or more. I do think that was one of the interesting things about the J8. There where tested and designed to operate at very high GVW from the factory in very bad environments. I would LOVE to get my hands on some kind of report which detailed what was changed to allow that. I think we can piece together bits of information, but I suspect we would miss the majority of the small, yet important, changes.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I think I've had people sit there 4? times.

Normally they're just folded down. More room for junk. But the second set of doors is handy for getting at said junk.

Just an unpractical idea, but I wonder how hard it would be to make a 'blank' door that would retain the open/close/lock features, but ditch all the extra weight from the window, door panel, window mechanism, etc.
The factory doors are not THAT light.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I think I've had people sit there 4? times.

Normally they're just folded down. More room for junk. But the second set of doors is handy for getting at said junk.
I removed the back seat on the first full day I owned the JKU. I built a K9 perch and a shelf for real life.

013_zps579843ad.jpg

004_zps60b34282.jpg

Metcalf

Expedition Leader

Keeping the B-pillar is an interesting twist. I wonder if that would make a top harder or easier to make? The 2-door doesn't have one and seals to the back of the door. I think with the 4-door B-pillar would need some kind of extra sealing area or feature.

While a flat floor is nice, it would be nice to be able to retain the extra storage area in the rear tub drop above the muffler and/or the rear footwell area. Even in something the size of a JKU storage space is at a premium.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
For myself - the issue of going to leaf springs in the rear is OK - IF it allows for a higher cargo weight capacity. I can live with reduced articulation in a expedition (i.e. non rock crawling) application and it will never drive around empty - it will be loaded all the time. A heavier rated rear axle and bigger brakes all round would be an ideal improvement compared to the current JK/JKU setup.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
For myself - the issue of going to leaf springs in the rear is OK - IF it allows for a higher cargo weight capacity. I can live with reduced articulation in a expedition (i.e. non rock crawling) application and it will never drive around empty - it will be loaded all the time. A heavier rated rear axle and bigger brakes all round would be an ideal improvement compared to the current JK/JKU setup.
Power Wagons have springs in back now, don't they?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Power Wagons have springs in back now, don't they?

So do all 2500 rams now, so I would suspect that the coils are not the problem with weight handling capacity. A spring is a spring. You always make a compromise in load carrying capacity vs ride quality. If the weight is constant it is much easier to build a spring to do that job.

What I would like to find is some information on what the actual changes where to the J8 chassis over the JKU.

I seem to remember hearing something about how the addition of the leaf springs on the rear of the J8 was to help sway control with higher loads rather than just for load capacity.

The rear axle on the J8 isn't anything special. Oddly, there are MUCH better choices on the market now. The J8 rear axle is a c-clip semi-float Dana 60 I believe. I would much rather have a full float style rear axle if I was carrying a lot of weight. The J8s so have larger brakes, but there are options for basically the same parts in the aftermarket. If I remember right the brake package was loosely based on a 1500 ram brake system ( which may have been where the rear axle came from also ).

twiisted71

Adventurer
I built a K9 perch and a shelf for real life.

013_zps579843ad.jpg

We have 4 fur flingers, and they are a major reason for me wanting a larger cargo area in my build

The J8 rear axle is a c-clip semi-float Dana 60 I believe. I would much rather have a full float style rear axle if I was carrying a lot of weight.

This is a bit of a misconception perpetuated by magazines and the aftermarket. A Dana 60 (even in SF form) is a 3/4-1 ton rated axle for fullsized trucks and vans, either vehicle style is capable of carrying way more weight than a JK. They were still used in Ford E350 (thats a 1 ton!!) vans until the new weird body style was introduced last year I own a 2011 E350 with a SF 60 and 5.4L in it). Unless you are hammering around offroad with a 400hp V8 and 38s or larger tires and a hellbent for leather right foot, any version of Dana 60 is plenty of axle especially under something as light as a JK. The cheapness and ubiquitous availability of 14 bolts has caused a herd mentality that anything smaller just isn't worth installing. My rig makes well over 300tq at 1700 rpms STOCK and I'd LOVE to have a Dana 60 with disks and a 65-67" WMS width, and I fully plan to turn the pump up a bit when its finished. Anyone that has one along the SE Gulf Coast wanna trade for the ultimate beef axle (AAM 11.5 with disks and G80 locker)?

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
We have 4 fur flingers, and they are a major reason for me wanting a larger cargo area in my build

This is a bit of a misconception perpetuated by magazines and the aftermarket. A Dana 60 (even in SF form) is a 3/4-1 ton rated axle for fullsized trucks and vans, either vehicle style is capable of carrying way more weight than a JK. They were still used in Ford E350 (thats a 1 ton!!) vans until the new weird body style was introduced last year I own a 2011 E350 with a SF 60 and 5.4L in it). Unless you are hammering around offroad with a 400hp V8 and 38s or larger tires and a hellbent for leather right foot, any version of Dana 60 is plenty of axle especially under something as light as a JK. The cheapness and ubiquitous availability of 14 bolts has caused a herd mentality that anything smaller just isn't worth installing. My rig makes well over 300tq at 1700 rpms STOCK and I'd LOVE to have a Dana 60 with disks and a 65-67" WMS width, and I fully plan to turn the pump up a bit when its finished. Anyone that has one along the SE Gulf Coast wanna trade for the ultimate beef axle (AAM 11.5 with disks and G80 locker)?

I'm going to disagree. 60's are neat and all, but they have their weaknesses. The 1st thing I don't like with the J8 offering is the C-clip design. This not only makes axle retention more of an issue, it also makes the carrier weaker because of the cross pin design. SOME semi-float wheel ends can be ok with a decent amount of weight, specifically the ones that use the 'Set 80' style wheel bearing. I wouldn't trust the smaller Set 10 or Set 20 stuff with a lot of weight over time. The number one issue I see, coming more from the large tire and abuse side of things, is that eventually you will always bend the semi-float axle flange. I've bend and broken my fair share of 9" based stuff at the bearing retainer. Sucks.

As a note. JKUs are not lightweights. They are pushing 4300lbs+ stock without people or gear. I routinely see them pushing 6000-7000lbs when 'built', and loaded for a weekend, if not more. My 1992 Dodge 3/4 ton truck with the Cummins on 39s with the shell on is less than 7000lbs for comparison! Ouch.

I honestly wouldn't care if the full float shafts where good quality 30 spline flanged float, but I would want that full float axle end. The new Mopar crate Dana 60 axle is very nice and well engineered for the money. The rear axle is a D60 low pinion center with large tubes, full float, 35 spline alloys, etc. They are about 68-69" wide if I remember right.

http://spicerparts.com/products/axle/automotive/ultimate-60

Also, the often overlooked area with weight and/or mods, is the braking package. That is something the J8 did well. The Dana/Spicer Ultimate 60 also does a very good job with this by upgrading to near 14" rotors, twin piston calipers, etc.

14-bolts are a lot of axle for the money, that is why they are common. Does everyone need one? Nope.

I would rather be under-powered and over-axled than the opposite when using a vehicle off-highway....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues