Jah310 Trailer Build. Here goes...!

jah310

Adventurer
Funny you should ask - it's the one piece I've yet to figure out. I've struggled to find a cable that works right so that's still on the to do list. Glad the axle is set up for it - just will need to figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jah310

Adventurer
Shocks and airbags reinstalled...

0a1f19fc5116d702374c339f7a13436c.jpg

8ad86f0d4eae0de01879a9a085984fa8.jpg

Last edited:

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Funny you should ask - it's the one piece I've yet to figure out. I've struggled to find a cable that works right so that's still on the to do list. Glad the axle is set up for it - just will need to figure it out.

Go to a bike shop. They can cut you a piece of wire any length you need and a sleeve to fit it. Put a t handle on the end of one side. Put a tab to hold the handle in the brake off position, then another to hold it in the brake on position when you pull then cable. Should be fairly simple to do when it is laid out

Unless you are talking about a breakaway kit, in that case any wire attached to the rig will do it. That way if it becomes disconnected from you the brakes lock up. Any length of wire or type works for that. Vinyl coated though would be the best choice

jah310

Adventurer
Paint came out very nice. I have a BOB taking up precious garage space too.

Haha yes the BOB and I battle over the real estate in my garage all the time. Not sure who's winning that battle...

jah310

Adventurer
That finish tuned out great!

Are you happy with the leaf spring/shock/airbag suspension setup overall?

Thanks man.

Yeah so far the suspension set up has been awesome. Check out post 157 - I have video of the trailer out on a desert road going at a nice pace. It worked great. The airbags were key in dialing it in. Before that I was struggling with it a bit. If I were to do it again I'd go with less leafs and rely more on the air bags, but for now I'm good. Maybe one day once it's all done and I have nothing else to work on (likely never) I'll pull a leaf or two from the springs...

In short it's worked great both on and off road....

In so

Last edited:

jah310

Adventurer
Go to a bike shop. They can cut you a piece of wire any length you need and a sleeve to fit it. Put a t handle on the end of one side. Put a tab to hold the handle in the brake off position, then another to hold it in the brake on position when you pull then cable. Should be fairly simple to do when it is laid out

Unless you are talking about a breakaway kit, in that case any wire attached to the rig will do it. That way if it becomes disconnected from you the brakes lock up. Any length of wire or type works for that. Vinyl coated though would be the best choice

Thanks for the tip. Are you talking a bicycle shop or a motorcycle shop? If you mean a bicycle shop would those cables be strong enough?

Thanks

Last edited:

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Thanks for the tip. Are you talking a bicycle shop or a motorcycle shop? If you mean a bicycle shop would those cables be strong enough?

Thanks

bicycle shop should be plenty strong enough just for a brake. Also you could order a set of ebrake cables for a car. Volkswagen ones work excellent, they are threaded on one end and have a ball on the other.

jah310

Adventurer
Did nearly all the electrical work - well at least everything related to the 7 pin connector. Used heat shrink water proofing crimps and wrapped everything in some 1/4 inch electrical conduit. Tied it all together with one of those junction boxes.

5d6f60c93d1c2770fcba5a7cbf990092.jpg

84678875dd4dfdbd13759661025da5af.jpg

3154a8e2b32c1febbca2e841a0edd51c.jpg

Also put these rubber washers down before mounting the tongue box. I've also been using locktite red on every single bolt ...

003a5ab1532e2874ecb3828190b15149.jpg

Once I test the lights and other electrical items, I'll mount the floor and get stated on putting back the composite decking...

Edit - tested the lights & brakes. All systems go.

a288d72b50e487e2bc9c8c23cd532809.jpg

Last edited:

jah310

Adventurer
Got some more done today. Mounted the flooring by running a bead of silicone sealer around the the entire base and cross sections. Then bolted it down. Worked real well.

Also a managed to reassemble the panels to the rear tailgate. So far so good...Powder coating and panels yield a nice color contrast.

Put some spare conduit around the air lines where they run through the frame for extra protection.

af13005703de6f4ad63cf443e49fc5dc.jpg

4d57afa59f5bbf37375c63ac90a26188.jpg

23a602610841547446a87b3d45a7dc89.jpg

871e8480984490756a56618c5c62bd0b.jpg

4db04c169d0f22a374e7395652c6c08b.jpg

Last edited:

LukeT

Very impressive

Hi there JAH310,
I've just joined the forum tonight(Western Australia) and read this thread from start to finish.
Just thought I'd say g'day and commend you on an amazing build..
I've built my own quite a few years back but no pics unfortunately. (And no where near as well setup as yours)
I see that your about to put everything back together, and noticed that you have previously had the gas struts for your lid fitted upside down. Not that they don't work just fine like that, but they will last longer if the shaft is mounted at the lower end. The small amount of oil in the cylinder is able to lubricate the shaft and seal on each stroke, keeping it all working as designed for much longer.
http://www.trailerparts.net.au/pamphlets/Gas_Struts.pdf

You've got me motivated to start another similar project !

TOP JOB !!:bowdown:

jah310

Adventurer
Luke T - thanks for the compliments and more importantly thanks for the tip on the gas struts. Honesty didn't know there'd be a difference but based on your advice I'll look to reinstall them right side up! Enjoy the forum - it's awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven