Jeep Eye Candy

MTSN

Explorer
I'd want side windows that roll up.
The Crew Chief front end would make an awesome kit through Mopar though, and if priced at $3,500 or less, would be on the front of my JK.
I'm not one for "cosmetic upgrades", but that is just bad arsed! :beer:

My buddy and I said that exact thing at lunch yesterday! Mopar should just make a kit convert the front end to look like the Chief, and as long as it's priced well like you said I would definitely buy one. The Chief and the Africa are 2 of the coolest JKs I've seen and I would pony up for either even if I could only get some of the parts.

borison

Adventurer
They need to build the Africa and Crew Chief. I'm digging that front end on the CC. There might even be a market for the Comanche, but with only 2 doors and no extra cab it could be difficult.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
The Crew Chief looks sooo good! I really need (want) a 4 door pickup and I would buy this thing for sure, if it became available. If they put the Eco-diesel from the Ram 1500 with a manual transmission and a 4:1 transfer case, it would be perfect!

PKayser

The Comanchee has probably the best chance of actually hitting the market, and if so would likely sell well. Figure pricing similar to the Renegade $18K - $25k and I think it would be a huge hit. The others are definitely drool worthy but I doubt we'll see a factory built Crew Chief. Prices would put it outside of any mass potential market. I see the the CC as very similar to the AEV Brute. If people really wanted them, there'd be a lot more on the road.

borison

Adventurer
The Comanchee has probably the best chance of actually hitting the market, and if so would likely sell well. Figure pricing similar to the Renegade $18K - $25k and I think it would be a huge hit. The others are definitely drool worthy but I doubt we'll see a factory built Crew Chief. Prices would put it outside of any mass potential market. I see the the CC as very similar to the AEV Brute. If people really wanted them, there'd be a lot more on the road.

I'm curious why you feel the Comanche has the best chance to make it to market and would sell well? For the most part, regular cab trucks do not sell that well anymore, which is why we see so many more extra cab/crew cabs on the road. Also, the CC is very similar to the AEV. The difference between Jeep(FCA) and AEV is volume or economies of scale. Jeep can build more CCs, distributing costs across the model, lowering production costs. Can they beat AEVs price? Sure. Would it sell well? Most likely. Jeep sells all the Wranglers they can build.

PKayser

Just my opinion. I think market saturation and pricing keeps the CC in a $50k and up market. There are a lot of crew cab trucks in that price range that are more refined and have much higher towing and cargo capacities than a JKU based truck. Currently, the Cherokee is Jeeps sales leader. It sits in a comfortable price point for your average vehicle buyer, in a very competitive segment of the market. The Renegade also sold very well in it's first (partial) year of release, also in a very competitive segment. I think the Comanche would be in a segment of its own, granted a small segment. I can't think of a vehicle that would be a direct competitor for a compact / sub compact convertible pick up. It has sort of a cute ute appeal for milleniels.

Again these are just my opinions. I won't be buying either. I like my 2dr JK and I'll be keeping it. When it gets replaced, it will be by another 2dr Wrangler with whatever letters they put after it. Just like the 4 before this one.

eternus

Observer
Actually even beyond regular cabs not being popular is the restriction in the US that vehicles have to get a certain MPG based on the number of occupants. If you have a 2 seater truck, it has to get really good gas mileage. It's easier for manufacturers to make a 4 or 5 person vehicle with lower gas mileage.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
This is the 75th anniversary of Jeep, and the 50th Easter Jeep Safari. Expectations for the concepts were high.

4 JK-based (3 concepts and one bolt-ons), 2 Renegades (one concept and one bolt-ons), and one from the museum. No Cherokee or GC. No JL teaser. No Patriot/Compass swansong or teaser.

I think it can be summed up by the fact that FourWheeler.com posted amc-concept-vehicles-we're-glad-never-happened.

As a baseball analogy, last year's were back-to-back-to-back home runs. This year was equivalent to a single and a double, while getting shut-out 5-0. HEMI JK's are common place and you can buy a kit. The AEV Brute with a new nose is cool but again, it's sorta been done. A lot of work went into the "Comanche" (and wasn't worth it), but it would have been better as a homage to the FC as a cab-over-engine with a Renegade body/rear. To announce the FC with the "concepts" was a mistake. It's almost like they planned something else and it failed, so they pulled this out of storage to make the promised 7.

IMO, it smells of upper management getting involved and wanting to make sure it was a "good" show. It's difficult to understand the flannel shirt crowd while wearing an Italian 3-piece suit. For such important milestones, it's a complete bust.

Bobzdar

Observer
I thought it was acknowledged that the CC is pretty much what the Wrangler based pickup will be (minus the grill and canvas top, of course). All indications are that's what we'll get but you won't see it with the correct front and top on it until after the new Wrangler is shown since it will be the same/similar.

I like the Commanche shown, shouldn't be difficult to make an extended cab version given the Renegade has rear seats already. It'd probably be similar to a Honda Ridgeline if they did it, but that's a much longer shot than the CC/Wrangler pickup as it's already been confirmed.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
The Trailcat was interesting to see in person.

No Air conditioning, no under hood heat or sound deadening, lots of custom obviously-hand-welded pipes and connectors (heater, rad, etc.).

Inside they stripped the power windows and just blanked out that part of the dash.

I'm not judging, but I thought it was obvious it was done in more of a hurry than the others.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat