Jeep Show-and-tell

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
OMG - a thing of beauty.:clapsmile Everyday I dream that my Rubicon will soon be an LJ. I need the room. Nice Jeep and the color, well it is perfect!

articulate

Expedition Leader
Benjisan said:
I just realized I never posted up a pic of my stock LJ. Here she is, even though everyone knows what a stock LJ looks like anyway.
And now we know what your stock LJ looks like. ;)
She is beautiful.

Benjisan

Observer
Thanks gents. When I park her and start walking away, I find myself looking back a few times just for the sake of looking. Sometimes I even stop and just stare for a minute. I asked the Mrs. if she wanted to eat outside so we could look at the Jeep while we eat. She gave me a look like I was crazy. I told her I was kidding, but I really wasn't...Is that normal?

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Benjisan said:
. . . She gave me a look like I was crazy.

Sounds like a normal response from a wife/girlfriend.

Benjisan said:
I told her I was kidding. . .

Of course you did, what guy wouldn't? You were hoping she likes your jeep as much as you do, but didn't want it to appear that she has competition for your affection.

Benjisan said:
. . . but I really wasn't

we know. We've been there.

New here and I recognize some familiar names and Jeeps......

I'm a Jeeper who used to be into the hardcore rockcrawling scene but is now making a conversion to the expeditionary scene. Bought my Jeep brand new in 98 and it has seen 4 lifts, 4 tire sizes and a whole bunch of trails....The Rubicon twice, the Dusy, many different Hammer trails, Death Valley, Toroweap and areas nearby, Moab, and Arizona both at the Table Mesa area and in and about the Santa Catalinas near Tucson. My rig suffice to say, has been extensively modded so that it would survive the hardcore Hammer trails at Johnson Valley. Custom TBT alumiflex suspension and steering, custom hydroboost 4 wheel disk brakes, custom power steering, custom armor, custom high pinion front axle, alloy'd rear D44, Teralow 4:1, dual batteries and a cage. I also have a complete compliment of spares for my rig and tools including a Readywelder. I have a on board shower sitting in my garage that I need to find the time to install as well.

I am currently in a rebuild stage once again but this time its with the motor. I am building a hotrodded 4.0 to swap into my rig with the intention of pulling an Adventure Trailer. Using a Hesco aluminum head , roller rockers and camshaft I am figuring to add about 40hp at the crank without having to stroke the motor or deal with the smog police as it will all be emissions legal with CARB EO numbers. I've spoken to Mario several times and I am simply lining up my duckets so that I can get my trailer ordered.

I'm getting married in March which is one of the reasons prompting my switch to expedition style 4 wheeling. My wife to be loves to explore but is not so much into the motor sports aspect of rock crawling. I have to admit that its gotten a little old for me as well and I appreciate being out in the middle of nowhere without 100's of idiots running around at all hours of the night. The Trailer will provide us with the room we need, great sleeping quarters and a way for us to be comfortable on our journeys.

I'm looking to run Baja, El Camino Del Diablo, The Bradshaw Trail and Mojave Road eventually among other places, including spending time during the summer in the Eastern Sierras. We plan to relocate to the Central Coast but I still need to work a few more years to make that happen. Looking forward to making friends here and getting in on some adventures. Until then, this is a pic of my rig on Moab Rim last May........

6ajumr-21.jpg

Last edited:

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
Welcome

Welcome Robert,
I am a fan of El Camino Del Diablo myself . I have ran it the past two years in the last week of Feburary (best time for wildflowers). I'm about to do Anza Borrego for 3 weeks. Maybe our trails will pass and we can sit and talk story. Until then, I enjoyed the picture.

Thanx for the welcome....what are your dates for Anza Borrego?

My rig isn't down yet but will be in about 2 weeks as we move forward with the motor swap which will probably take me a week to get through.

My first 4WD experience with my fiance' was a trip into Coyote Canyon.....I let her do some driving and we had the place all to ourselves with a great campsite near upper willows. Needless to say, she was hooked on the sport and probably would be up for another trip there :D

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
Anza Borrego

I hope to get out of town the 13th or 14 thru the 28th. At present my Jeep too is in the shop. For some strange reason the a/c compressor decided to take a dump. I am pleased to say my local Jeep dealer got on it like stink on
stuff and will get it out asap. Seems the mechanic has to call MOPAR directly about compressor to validate replacement. That's already been done and the parts are coming for repair. The mechanic asked me to come by and explain to him how to get around my Kenne Bell blower...he didn't want to be liable for an oops. I don't blame him and he was very receiptive to my input. His only reluctance was the height of my Jeep being about 7 inches higher than stock he said he had to find a taller stool!
I like your idea of placing a Hesco head on your rig and 40hp more is a reasonable increase to expect from what I have read. Myself I'd add a 4.6L stroker kit. As long as you don't get overly zealous with your choice of camshafts the smog police shouldn't get too carried away. I know I have had to go see the regulator on occasion. They never cared or at least never noted to care if I ran a "different then stock" camshaft, as long as it passed the idle and at speed sniff test. In Tucson we must pass the same emissions test as Los Angeles, so I feel your pain.:confused:

So you will be in Anza B this weekend? Thats a bit tough for me but next is probably doable. The weather is great this time of year.

As for the stroker decision....I was going that way but expense and durability changed my mind. I have yet to read of anyone with a stroker going 50k....they seem to eat cams and more often than not, have detonation problems because folks don't get the quench right on the rebuild.

A crate motor from Hesco was $7500 without injectors or shipping so I quickly tossed that idea. A 318 Dodge is around 10k installed and a Hemi is running up on 15k although I have yet to hear of anyone getting one refere'ed through smog here in Cali. For about 4k....I get an improved stocker, bolt in, durability and some extra HP for towing the trailer.....or at least thats my logic so I guess we'll see.

How is the Kenne Bell working for you? That was a route I was looking at but the cost with intercooler and the 91 octane kind of turned me off.

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
[QUOTE=Just another thought about strokers. Golden Engines sells 4.6L-260hp in Quadratec for $3500. Add roller rocker arms to unload the spring side of the valves and you should have a long runner indeed.
As for my Kenne Bell blower, I bought instead of rebuilding. I only had 35K when I installed it. I wanted more Hp for towing like you. On the dyno it runs
214hp, stock is 146. So something like 68hp and 165lbs of torgue is added. Yes I have to run premium but so do Hemi conversions. I lost about a mile a gallon but in town but on the highway I actually get better gas-mileage. It EASILY runs 70-75mph w or w/o the trailer. It doesn't have to work as hard. In the mountain passes I used to have to shift to 3rd to pull them. Now 4th and ease off or run way past the speed limit. It feels every bit as advertised- Like a mid-sized V-8 and it 50-state emissons legal no cooling or exhaust issues. It is an excellent add on. The folks at Kenne Bell are great and easy to talk with. They actually give a darn about their customers. I have a friend in my Jeep group who runs a Avenger blower. Nothing but trouble and little to no after the sell support. He only gets about 3 lbs of boost. I have 6.
I will be in Anza from the 14th to the 28th. If you are there, look me up. I'll be in Anza Springs campground the 19th-25th. Before and after..everywhere.
Good typing at ya, bro. See ya on the trail one day.:sombrero:

Detour

Observer
Moab2006055.jpg

-Front Axle:
4.56 gears
High pinion XJ Dana 30
Detroit True-Trac
Warn 5 on 4.5" hub kit
Warn inner and outer chromos
Spicer u-joints
CTM circlips
Currie steering
Currie upper control arm mounts
Currie lower control arm mount skids
4 x Doctor diff guard
Rubicon Express braided SS lines

-Rear Axle:
Ford 8.8 disc, new surplus
ARB locker
Crane armor
TeraFlex brackets and control arm mounts
Superior Super88 kit (3/4 ton upgrade)

-TeraFlex Second generation long arm
-Currie front and Rubicon Express rear uppers
-Rubicon Express Trac-bars.
-M.O.R.E. 1" body lift
-Toys By Troy Sport Cage.
-WARN 8274 winch with WARN mount.
-Old Man Emu long HD shocks.
-Xenon flares
-33" GoodYear MTR with American Racing Alloys
-TeraLow tires 4to1
-Currie Anti-Rock
-Tom Wood's SYE + Shaft.
-O.B.A. ARB compressor.
-V-Force muffler and custom side exit exhaust.
-Crane, Rokmen, Domebrew, Kilby, 4xDR. and TeraFlex armor.
-Hella 500 fogs on bumper and 500 Driving on windshield mounts.
-Olympic Rockcrawler rear bumper, front is bobbed.
-4" flush mounted LED tail lights and markers.
-Flush and wrapped lic. plate.
-GM/Domebrew cowl snorkle
-Domebrew .75" engine lift.
-JeepersandCreepers bored out throttle body.
-Autometer gauges housed in Kilby's gauge cluster.
-Dakota 136 amp alternator.
-Odyssey PC1700MJT drycell battery
-Grand Wagoneer steering box
-Trail Flaps
-Tuff Stuff fender protectors.
-Mastercraft Rubicon seat.
-York on board air

Other stuff: CB, GPS, Winch recovery and rescue kits, Firstaid and fire suppression, 3" lap belt, Safari top, Domebrew Rain-jammers, Soft doors, Hand throttle, Herculined, Cool Renegade stickers from Up-side-down land and a bunch of other stuff I can't think of right now.

*thats just a cut and paste form my page*

a friend pointed me to this site. lots of great stuff here. looking forward to learning some stuff and planning an adventure of my own.
:bowdown:

tnxjlimited

2000 XJ limited

sizedjeepmono.txt

sizedjeepbike.txt

-Rubicon Express 5.5 suspension system
-285 BFG Muds
-8.25 rear axle w/ lsd and disk brakes and 4:10 gears
-HP dana 30 w 4:10s and diff guard
-SYE kit w/custom shafts
-American Expedition Vehicles (AEV) wheels
-front reciver hitch