Jeep Too Wimpy To Tow

Cruiser

Adventurer
So,, how does it tow with the 4.56's?? I'm really leaning to these as I want 33's or 35's and tow also.. I was towing my 416 with a light load in it and forgot it was even there,, but noticed lower mpg,, like 17mpg.. I would really like a better trailer, which will most likely result in a heavier trailer, thus making the gears more of a needed thing..
So hows the high speed highway driving??

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Cruiser said:
So,, how does it tow with the 4.56's?? I'm really leaning to these as I want 33's or 35's and tow also.. I was towing my 416 with a light load in it and forgot it was even there,, but noticed lower mpg,, like 17mpg.. I would really like a better trailer, which will most likely result in a heavier trailer, thus making the gears more of a needed thing..
So hows the high speed highway driving??
I have to break in the gears and change the diff fluid before I can tow; we've got nearly 500 miles on it so far and it drives great.
My only concern is that they started with a whine and it has grown a bit louder; I'm going back to the shop tomorrow and have them do the gear lube swap and check over the install.

PhulesAU

Explorer
Hilldweller said:
I have to break in the gears and change the diff fluid before I can tow; we've got nearly 500 miles on it so far and it drives great.
My only concern is that they started with a whine and it has grown a bit louder; I'm going back to the shop tomorrow and have them do the gear lube swap and check over the install.
There should be NO whine PERIOD. If they tell you differently ********** them in the head.:violent-smiley-031: When I had mine regeared I thought I'd break them, before breaking them in. There was a hugh difference to torque to the rear tires. 35's wanted to chirp just because.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Alex is going to warranty the gears and swap with a different brand in a couple of weeks when they are available. QC on the Superiors has been substandard, according to him, and he believes that the new ones will be quieter and last longer.
There's a noticeable difference in the look of the gear edges from the Superiors to the stockers; the Superiors have a sharper angle.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I've towed it on two long-ish trips and it averages a little over 14 mpg with the trailer now. I checked the gps after a 600 mile day going down to Florida for Christmas camping and was surprised to see a high mph of 82.3 :Wow1: . Ooops; I really didn't try to do that. Really.
On the way home I was actually passing people and having no trouble maintaining speed on the hilly sections.

Still haven't gotten the warranty work done at P.O.R.C. --- they say they can still only get Superiors; does anybody know different?

Thanksgiving with Nashvillerover and Dieselandmud:
100_1587.jpg

Christmas Camping in Myakka River State Park:
100_1745.jpg

highlandercj-7

Explorer
Down south everything tow's like a Diesel. My lil 318 5 spd Ram was pulling like a beast. I didn't know how to act, after driving it in West by God, running up 95 through NC and VA was no work for it, even with the 16' car trailer and CJ-8 behind it. When I got back to MD and WV I was quickly reminded that it is a 318 lol...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online