Jeep Wrangler Habitat Official Release

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
What about a roof rack minus the rack on top? Like an exterior cage. Attach mounts at the bottom of the windshield w/ a hoop over the top of the windshield, then tabs at the top of the hoop that run down the side of the hardtop/flippac right above the door line, then a hoop over the rear windshield that mounts to the rear bumper or side of the body panels behind the rear fender. Then an option to remove everything except for the windshield hoop so you can have a light bar that can fold down or spot lights.

I always try to think of simplistic designs, the arm to rotate the awning is complex in itself, the hoop idea also seems complex. We'd prefer to design something that does the job in a more straight forward manner.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
I have another idea for the JK Habitat...

Replace the rear storage tub with a 10gal-20gal water tank.

We have looked into this. Conceptually a good idea but not to practical since the area with a tank would yeild less than 5 gallons. There is complexity to fill this tank when covered by the drawer and fridge slide system that is not worth the effort for the yeild in our opinion. Our bladder in the stage 2 cabinet is more efficient. We have developed an auxilary battery system that will fit in the unmodified cubby. We'll post pictures up of this in a few days.

elcoyote

Any progress updates on the Habitat?

A new updates e-mail went out today Jason with details.

For those who are getting their updates here, this is the latest:

On June 16-17th revisions to the hinge placement and structure are being made. This is being done for clearance purposes and the net result will add a few inches to the overall tent length. A benefit in interior deployed room without significantly altering the exterior.

I am taking a Habitat on June 28th to Nemo Equipment in New Hampshirethere where we will have a tent redesign session taking place. What will evolve should be the final tent design to be released in 2012. Very exciting stuff!

In the meantime UMV will be ramping up to get the first production units with tent version 2.1 as seen in the Overland Journal article out near the end of July.

There will be some posts with pictures of the latest progress in coming weeks as well as new modifications made to the Nemo JK.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I am taking a Habitat on June 28th to Nemo Equipment in New Hampshirethere where we will have a tent redesign session taking place. What will evolve should be the final tent design to be released in 2012. Very exciting stuff!

The Nemo tenting is looking very slick. Nice job!

kb7our

Explorer
A new updates e-mail went out today Jason with details.

For those who are getting their updates here, this is the latest:

On June 16-17th revisions to the hinge placement and structure are being made. This is being done for clearance purposes and the net result will add a few inches to the overall tent length. A benefit in interior deployed room without significantly altering the exterior.

In the meantime UMV will be ramping up to get the first production units with tent version 2.1 as seen in the Overland Journal article out near the end of July.

There will be some posts with pictures of the latest progress in coming weeks as well as new modifications made to the Nemo JK.

Mario, in your update email to early adopters do you mean Jun instead of Jul dates? Also, does this pic represent the early adaptation of what you refer to as forthcoming V2.1 for the interim tent design?

Attachments

• Habitat.jpg
    Habitat.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 87

elcoyote

Oops! You're roght, I meant June, I was looking at the wrong month on the calendar.

Yes, that picture is the basis of the forthcoming V2.1. The adaptation will include a rounded crown to the center pole and improved stays on the window awnings.

Mario, in your update email to early adopters do you mean Jun instead of Jul dates? Also, does this pic represent the early adaptation of what you refer to as forthcoming V2.1 for the interim tent design?

kb7our

Explorer
Follow up info for a more compact slide out stove wind screen

Since I can't seem to get a scanned image of a quick and dirty sketch I made, here's the basics for sizing the current AT wind screen for the combo slide out stove if you decide to give it a try:

1) Shorten the height of the back panel to 7" (plenty tall)
2) Shorten the height of the side panels to 7-1/2" and retain a similar slope/angle as original side panels (original panels already are 1/2" taller than the back so they fit inside the stove grate
3) Add a hinge to the center of the back panel so it can fold "back" on itself
4) Add a hinge to each side panel about 6" in from where they attach to the back panel so that they can fold back onto themselves

The end result is a sturdy wind screen that can work with other same size stoves that are not mounted to the combo slide and also fits nicely flat into the combo slide rear storage area where the propane hose and regulator are stored. Although I did not cut down the prototype Martyn sent me to play with, using similar materials it seems to me even with the additional 3 hinges that the screen would be plenty sturdy.

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
how about a TJ or LJ version

just wondering if anything is in the works for any other jeep models, we don't all have 4-door JK's (unfortunately) :ylsmoke:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
There was talk of an LJ version, but that thread did not go very far. I would most certainly buy one for the LJ if they made it.

elcoyote

just wondering if anything is in the works for any other jeep models, we don't all have 4-door JK's (unfortunately) :ylsmoke:

No plans for any other models as only the JK 4 door offers a roof line length that makes sense.

kb7our

Explorer
Any decision to share yet on the interior finish of the hardtop?

Looking forward to pics of refined interim tent V2.1 and the next hardtop off the line showing the various planned tweaks like thicker hinges for the torsion rod, etc.

As of today, and realizing it could change, is end of July still the target for delivering Habitats with the V2.1 tent?

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Hurry up and wait.... :lurk:
:camping: This is the only camping I've done lately.

Getting close to doing the Hemi install though!!!

:lurk:

will

Adventurer
Rather than bouncing e-mails with AT, I figured others might have similar questions, so I'll post here. Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I didn't see it:

Is it possible to install the AT Water Tank Heat Exchanger system in the JK without the Stage 2 storage system? So that when you want to use it, you hook up water from a Jerry can or other portable container? That way when you can retain the full rear seating?

Or if that system is not really adaptable for this type of application, would one be better off using some other heat exchanger system such as a Helton?

Thanks,
Will

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Hot water where?

Is it possible to install the AT Water Tank Heat Exchanger system in the JK without the Stage 2 storage system? So that when you want to use it, you hook up water from a Jerry can or other portable container? That way when you can retain the full rear seating?
Or if that system is not really adaptable for this type of application, would one be better off using some other heat exchanger system such as a Helton?
Thanks,
Will

I've been thinking of the same thing. The other issue I have with the location is heat in the cab. It has been 100+ degrees here for weeks now. For daily driving just include a shutoff valve and turn it off. but on a trip to Costa Rica where you want the water often I don't want to be forgetting to turn the HOT on. So how much extra heat at 180+ degrees is going to come off of that heat exchanger?? A significant amount I say, even with that wrap of foam insulation. The only disadvantage of putting the heat exchanger under the hood is that you will have to let the water run a while to get the hot water our of the tap. So another option would be under the body inside the frame, on the exhaust pipe side.
During colder months it would not be even warm the next moring, but 10 or 15 minutes of the engine running would give you hot water.
But I really like the idea of having 13 gallons of water all the time. more would be better. If I can figure out what to do with the exhaust I can fit 17 gallons in the back where the cubby is and not have the muffler there.
The problem with the Helton is the overall size. It is so small I think you would have to run the motor most of the time you are wanting hot water.
I don't know what the very best answer is.
DK

elcoyote

Rather than bouncing e-mails with AT, I figured others might have similar questions, so I'll post here. Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I didn't see it:

Thanks,
Will

The application you are describing without a tank and using a jerry can of water would be better accomplished with a Helton. The Hot water heater we use requires an on board water tank and pump system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3