Jeep XJ Pop Top Camper Build

@Nikkormat sounds like you have a good start & experience from that first build!

Things I'd do different/sooner:

1) Keep things simple - in general, I got deep into a lot of tedious projects.
Although I'm real happy with how it turned out I think some tasks could've been simplified.

2) Structural Integrity - you already have the cage planned which will do a lot.
I also ended up plating the unibody and bracing the front end even more so.
I'd do this from the beginning on a new build, or keep it simple with 31's stock offset.

3) Electrical - I'd keep things the same but I haven't mentioned much here so far.
My methodology is all or nothing with aux systems. This is the next stage in the build.
My entire system will be separate from the stock wiring except for output from the 160a durango alternator.

Keep me posted on the build. Interested in the different approach!

And Lizard Skin - I used this primer per a recommendation on another forum:
PPG Gripper Primer
I'm still unsure on the results, but in theory it would seem effective as a first layer.
I've since added some
heavy sound deadening mat and found this High Density Neoprene Foam to stick straight on the deadening mat.

zgfiredude

So, did you: Prime, then Lizard Skin, then sound deadener, then foam? Or is the Sound Deadener and Foam in upper parts of the cabin, and the Lizard Skin in the lower (tub) portion?

@zgfiredude right you are.
Starting from metal up:
1. Epoxy primer (can skip, I had bare metal & rust to clean)
2. Rubber "Lizard Skin"
3. Ceramic Microsphere "Lizard Skin"
4. Light coat of bedliner
5. Deadening mat
6. Foam on top (driver/passenger floorboards 1/2" & 1/4" foam on all floor in back)

It's not dead quiet, still a loud jeep w/ wind noise but it makes a difference over the stripped tin can I had been running.
I also did the deadening mat with another cheap reflective ~3/16" foam product on the firewall while pulling the hvac box.

Not something that really had to be done... but a "while I'm in here, might as well"

Last edited:
Non-Jeep Update:
jakegrovephoto-xr650l-los-osos.JPG
Bought this pig a few months back... doing some work on it today and figured I'd post a few things
1994 Honda XR650L - 30k miles with a new high comp piston installed among other parts/upgrades.

It's lived a long life but is still a solid bike.
Ran into the expected for the age/mileage:

jakegrovephoto-xr650l-starter-rebuild.JPG
First week the starter burned up
$15 for the new brushes/bearings and it was back in action
(1993-2022 models are unchanged = easy to find parts)

jakegrovephoto-xr650l-tire-change.png
New rubber (shinko 700) and brake pads to keep it road worthy

jakegrovephoto-xr650l-valve-lappingIMG_4561.JPGjakegrovephoto-xr650l-valve-job.png
Bad exhaust valve seals and crap ton of carbon/oil build up.
Constant stream of air out the exhaust during leakdown.
Just finished valve lapping and it passes the solvent test. New stem seals installed all around.

zgfiredude

New video dropped with a quick overview on the camper top conversion process & rationale.

Finally got a solid editing setup again - and planning out some more content.
Only 60 combined hours of footage on a hard drive to trim down to usable bits ?

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Great Build! I admire anyone taking this on. I just finished my build, now it's time to finish the inside.

WOW! That is incredible.
Do you have more pics or a video walkaround? It's hard to see the details with the super shiny finish (which looks awesome).

Is that one massive hardtop that connects the tub with the cab? When it's popped up can you crawl right through?

Awesome!

-Dan

1000arms

WOW! That is incredible.
Do you have more pics or a video walkaround? It's hard to see the details with the super shiny finish (which looks awesome).

Is that one massive hardtop that connects the tub with the cab? When it's popped up can you crawl right through?

Awesome!

-Dan
See:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior