JK/J8 Flippac rumor??

JPFreek1

Explorer
Not sure what number we are up to now, but I want one! I have some contact in SA that I am going to get in contact with about importing the GRTravelTops. I think the idea of the bed out the side rather than back or front makes the best use of space. Especially as I have on the 3 door TJ.

I think so too. Plus, having it out to the side negates having to have an awning to worry about mounting. This is cool stuff!

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Sorry to barge in on your Jeep thread (prior owner), but I like those SA tops also. If possible when you are making your contacts, could you check on the price for the model they are displaying on the "Landcruiser VX" model? That happens to be exactly what I wanted to do to my landcruiser. :drool:

I was thinking more along the lines of the flippac/forward fold, but the side opening will work as well. I have been wanting to do a "pop-top" conversion on mine for a while now, but the fippacs(modified to attach like the SA tops,of course), don't seem to be the right size, I was really excited to see these.

Thanks,

Jack

gpwpat

Adventurer
I am really excited about this idea as well. Not only would it put more functionality to the JK unlimited. It is such a simple upgrade. Pull the stock top. and plop the camper top on. You still can have a daily driver and a camper. Best of all worlds. I am like the idea as I now have 2 kids. sleeping in the EEZI AWN is going to get tight in a few years. I get a camper like this and the RTT stays on the trailer and Mom and dad get a tent of their own. and in the future when the kids are not interested in camping I can leave the trailer at home. It would be a very versitile set up for camping with 4.

as for the roll bar in the rear. it could be easily modified to have a removable cross bar. Not sure if the manufacture would want to offer . but easily done.

Last edited:

ventura911

Adventurer
Just saw this thread and have to say that I love the idea! :drool:I've got an '07 JK Unlmtd. and would want to keep the rear seat and doors for daily driving and family.

As for which way to flip, I'm a bit torn. I like the idea of having the top flip to the rear or the passenger side for the "built-in" awning, which could also be enclosed by a screen or tent walls. I also like the idea of the small storage basket over the front panels. In fact, ER found a source to replace the two targa panels with a single solid piece, so that would take care of the problem of the shape of the original panels.

However, wouldn't the overall stability be better if it folded over the hood? Not only would the Jeep be more balanced, the flipped portion of the top could be supported by braces to the front bumper.

I'm all for the simple shell at this time, too. We'll all tinker and adapt the interior to suit our own needs and styles, anyway, and the initial cost would be lower (and perhaps even affordable! :)).

TNRonin

I'm in the process of deciding if I should sell my Ranger 4X4, which is what I was considering using, or getting a jeep wrangler (I can't afford those new ones) again and doing something like the GRTravelTops. That Wrangler model is dead sexy (best fat bastard voice please).

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Has anyone heard back from grtravel tops yet?

All I got was this terse and somewhat disappointing reply:

Hi Herbie,

Unfortunately we are located in South Africa but I'm sure we can make a
plan.

The GRTravelTop is available for the Jeep Wrangler, infact it is one of the
best vehicles to mount a GRTravelTop on.
Have a look at our website, there are photos of a jeep wrangler :
http://www.grtraveltops.com/jeepwrangler.html

This didn't answer my question about a 4-door JK application, nor did it really begin to address what would happen if a bunch of North Americans wanted a group buy or something...

alosix

Expedition Leader
Well, its better than a 'nope sorry' like you kinda get from the flip pac people :)

I'll have to work on bugging them again as well and see if I can make it extra clear about the 4 door, shipping, and just what the cost might end up being.

Gotta still be cheaper than an earthroamer jk right? hopefully.... :)

Jason

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Has anyone heard back from grtravel tops yet?

I haven't, I sent an email on Sunday night.

All I got was this terse and somewhat disappointing reply:

This didn't answer my question about a 4-door JK application, nor did it really begin to address what would happen if a bunch of North Americans wanted a group buy or something...

Kind of a bummer, I was hoping this would be easier than that.

Well, its better than a 'nope sorry' like you kinda get from the flip pac people :)

I'll have to work on bugging them again as well and see if I can make it extra clear about the 4 door, shipping, and just what the cost might end up being.

Gotta still be cheaper than an earthroamer jk right? hopefully.... :)

Jason

I never got a response at all from Flip-pac.

Let us know how it goes, they have the potential for several sales if they are willing to work with us.

Jack

ColinTheCop

Adventurer
If you're going for a group buy/shipping container load of GRTravel tops, can you swing by the UK and drop one off for me....?

Thanks, :wings:

alosix

Expedition Leader
If you're going for a group buy/shipping container load of GRTravel tops, can you swing by the UK and drop one off for me....?

Thanks, :wings:

This from someone in a location that with some help of some ferries could actually drive there and pick on up :) (might take a month, but you could :) )

Jason

BPage

Adventurer
LJ Flip Pac

This could only be truly viable for the 4 door JK. The 2 door JK, TJ, YJ & CJ have roof lines that are too short to make sleeping surface without a hinge breaking it up. As much as I like the LJ, there simply are not enough of them out there to make a reasonable market. The 4 door JK on the other hand has seen a strong market.

That being said, in order to achieve a real world design, we are talking about adding 7-8" to the roof height. We're also looking at about a $4000 price tag. Considering that a aftermarket hard top runs about $2200, a decent RTT of that size is $1750 and a set of 3 Thule bars & track bars to mount it on $400 (total $4375) then the price tag would not be out of line.

Any feed back on roof height or pricing from interested parties?

I know you mentioned above that there was not enough LJ's out there...but how much would a custom Flip Pac for an LJ be? I am interested in both options (Flip Pac & GRTravelTops) however I do own a 05 TJL...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach