JK Overland Project: Expeditions West 3.0

Scott Brady

Founder
Installation of back-up and camp lights and 2M/70CM Radio

One of the first modifications that should be done to a vehicle is proper communications, which from my experience does not mean a CB. So we purchased an icom 208H 2m/70cm rig now that the Overland JK is done with SEMA and ready for some serious traveling.

I installed the dual-band antenna on the AEV rear bumper, which conveniently includes a tall mounting post that sticks above the spare tire. I also installed two prototype
2" LED lights (square). One is a driving pattern and the other a flood.
OVJK_Speed_Channel_.jpg

Conveniently, the AEV bumper swings out the passenger side (with the door), which allows the flood to illuminate the area under the awning in camp- nice
OVJK_Speed_Channel_%20(7).jpg

The other is pointed straight rearward to augment the factory reverse lights.

Scott Brady

Founder
Rack?

As a slight departure from my typical wagon specifications, I am going to keep the ARB rack on the JK. I hope to replace the steel one with the new aluminum model, which should save 40% on the weight. It is not that I don't like racks, or the convenience of a tent and a bunch gear up top, I am just not willing to compromise the loss of high-speed handling and technical terrain performance. Of course, there are justifications for having a roof rack with a bunch of gear, like if there are two adults and two children in the vehicle. But for me, I will typically be traveling solo in this truck, or with only one passenger.

I loved how the Jeep handled with nothing on the roof.
OVJK_Speed_Channel_%20(20).jpg

In this scenario, the right rear tire was in a hole at the base of the ledge, as torque was applied, and with the weight on the roof, it wanted to lift the front tire. Overall, it felt stable, but I am certain that tire would not have lifted without the roof load. The Jeep made the climb, but with a pretty dramatic wheel lift.
OVJK_Speed_Channel_%20(21).jpg

So then why the roof rack?
1. Photography- Access to a high point for wildlife and landscape photography
2. Reserve capacity- This was not my revelation, but an argument made to me during a discussion on racks. If the rack is light weight, it provides reserve space and storage should you need to collect firewood, transport some bikes or kayaks, or most importantly, if you need to leave a disabled vehicle somewhere, you can load all of the valuable or critical contents on to the roof rack of your vehicle.

So I am going to give the rack a go on the Jeep, and see how much I use it, etc.

But if you are going to have a roof rack, you need a way to get up there, which is why I am trying out this slick step from FrontRunner. It just ratchet-straps to the spare tire.
OVJK_Speed_Channel_%20(16).jpg

The 35" tire is too big for the supplied strap, so I sourced a HD t-handled ratchet and needed to cut-off the hooks.
OVJK_Speed_Channel_%20(1).jpg

OVJK_Speed_Channel_%20(6).jpg

The step uses a metal dowel to pass through the strap loop and then secure against the body of the step.
OVJK_Speed_Channel_%20(3).jpg

OVJK_Speed_Channel_%20(4).jpg

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Scott what size do the steps fit? It doesnt say on Paul's (EQUIPT) website... nor does it say on frontrunners. Im assuming up to what.. a 33?

mmccurdy

Adventurer
Interesting.... I continue to be impressed with Front Runner's various offerings, but I'm not sure how wild I am about having to close/latch the gate to have safe and stable access to the roof. It's almost certainly heavier due to the extended legs for mounting, but Gobi's rack does have the option of an integral ladder that is accessible even when the rear gate is open. It's worked very well for me in camp and on the trail, although now that the tent is fitted its utility is debatable.

I'm watching this thread closely, it looks like there are some very nice things in store for the Overland JK -- keep up the good work!

web.jpg

mmccurdy

Adventurer
Just wanted to give you some more information on the new JKSWITCH to wet your appetite:wings:

Somehow I missed this post until just now -- seems like this thing deserves its own thread :ylsmoke:

At the risk of taking this one off topic for a second, a couple thoughts:
  • Include extra metal dash clips! Everyone I know that has removed the OEM top panel has lost one or both to the bowels of the dash when popping it free. Not essential of course but it would be a nice touch.
  • It sounds like you have some very nice general features in mind (the rotary knob to control ignition vs. always on, the low-voltage protection logic), but it also seems like these would add quite a bit of complexity to the system for folks just wanting a clean switch panel, any chance these are optional/separable features?
  • Along the same lines, I (and probably many others) already have an in-cab winch and compressor control system that I'm happy with, so the very special-purpose features you describe for those switches would not be useful to me. Will it be configurable at all to replace those with simple toggles? How does the switch labeling work?

I'll keep my eyes peeled for the web site and any pricing/availability info -- I've got a few accessories hacked in to my rig right now until I can put something clean in place to control them and it's driving me nuts :coffeedrink:

Okay hijack off....

Scott Brady

Founder
...but I'm not sure how wild I am about having to close/latch the gate to have safe and stable access to the roof.

That is a fair point. I do not expect to be climbing on the roof frequently enough that closing the glass and gate will become annoying. I am leaving on a week-long trip, so we will see.

TheMike

Adventurer
...I also installed two prototype 2" LED lights (square). One is a driving pattern and the other a flood.
OVJK_Speed_Channel_%20(7).jpg

The other is pointed straight rearward to augment the factory reverse lights.
Scott, I am extremely interested in these TOO (first the JKSwitch and now these). I just talked to Rigid and they are hoping to have them out in circulation in 8-10 weeks. Sold in pairs apparantly for ~$200. What are your thoughts on these...over all and any specific pros or cons?

Mike

Scott Brady

Founder
Mike,

I love the form-factor and the construction. Lights like this are perfect for rack mount, back-up lights, etc. I even considered the spot pattern for the a-pillar.

Small
Lightweight
Durable
Low wattage

Lights seem to always fail at the mounting, and these are overbuilt there and are light, which reduces leverage and the effects of impacts (like branches, etc.)

For light performance and pattern, it is too early to tell, but I will report on that.

$200 for the pair is a bargain. I am considering a set for my next moto.

AZUnlimited

Adventurer
One of the first modifications that should be done to a vehicle is proper communications, which from my experience does not mean a CB. So we purchased an icom 208H 2m/70cm rig now that the Overland JK is done with SEMA and ready for some serious traveling.

I installed the dual-band antenna on the AEV rear bumper, which conveniently includes a tall mounting post that sticks above the spare tire. I also installed two prototype
2" LED lights (square). One is a driving pattern and the other a flood.
OVJK_Speed_Channel_.jpg

Scott,
Where did you install the icom? Does the OJK have a tuffy center console? Additionally, which antenna did you use?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach