JK Overlanding/Spare Carrier Hood?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A 265/75-16 (32x10.50) posed on a JK hood so I can do a few measurements.

32x1050_zpshlm5ulut.jpg

Justincredible

Adventurer
I like the Steinjager spare mount.
You lose just about all interior space, but you can carry 2 spares.
watermark.php

I have no proof, but from the looks of it you could flip it around, upside down, and mount it higher and it might clear a spare in the factory location and let you keep the interior space clear.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Oh boy the measuring has begun! Its getting real now! Can't wait to see this. :lurk:

Don't get excited too soon... I was also doing some engineering drawings for the "Retro Rhino" JK Gladiator front clip kit today, this is the drawing of the grille scaled down to an appropriate size for the JK. I haven't decided which project I'll begin next - the Retro Rhino or the Spare Carrier Hood.

GrillPrt6_zpsk8mpi77u.jpg

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
Don't get excited too soon... I was also doing some engineering drawings for the "Retro Rhino" JK Gladiator front clip kit today, this is the drawing of the grille scaled down to an appropriate size for the JK. I haven't decided which project I'll begin next - the Retro Rhino or the Spare Carrier Hood.

That was the wrong thing to say! I'm looking forward to this project even more! I must say, if I could go out and buy a second vehicle right now, it would be a Grand Wagoneer. Which is odd because I swore I'd never drive an auto.....and I almost bought an old 2wd 78 Toyota pickup......but I'd probably buy a Waggy. I have a love affair with station wagons.....anyways I digress. When I get one (it will happen) the rhino grill would be the first thing I did to it. Gosh I love that front end so much.....

I think it would also look super cool on your red Wrangler pickup. Kinda like a mini J10. Which just so happens to have almost been my first vehicle. Sometimes I regret that one.....

Really stoked either way, can't wait!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
That was the wrong thing to say! I'm looking forward to this project even more! I must say, if I could go out and buy a second vehicle right now, it would be a Grand Wagoneer. Which is odd because I swore I'd never drive an auto.....and I almost bought an old 2wd 78 Toyota pickup......but I'd probably buy a Waggy. I have a love affair with station wagons.....anyways I digress. When I get one (it will happen) the rhino grill would be the first thing I did to it. Gosh I love that front end so much.....

I think it would also look super cool on your red Wrangler pickup. Kinda like a mini J10. Which just so happens to have almost been my first vehicle. Sometimes I regret that one.....

Really stoked either way, can't wait!

I thought about doing a Retro Rhino kit for the TJ, but I'd rather do one for the JK. I think it'll look very cool with the Safari Cab:

RetroRhinoSafariW_zpsggqxekif.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
You know there is a guy who makes repro rhino grills:

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=154793

Thanks, yes, I've seen that. Those are full size for the FSJ; they'd be way too big for the JK version. If you look at the photo I posted of the scaled grill drawing taped over the original FSJ grille you can see the size difference. I'll be making a scaled version as shown by that printout, it's an appropriate size for the JK.

Scott Brady

Founder
Kind of a bad idea, for several reasons. The most important is visibility. Even with a 7.5XZL on my Defender, it obscures the driver's view slightly. An 8.25 is about the max

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted

What are the odds you'll do this idea for TJs?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Kind of a bad idea, for several reasons. The most important is visibility. Even with a 7.5XZL on my Defender, it obscures the driver's view slightly. An 8.25 is about the max

If the general consensus is that this is a bad idea, then I won't pursue it any further.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
What are the odds you'll do this idea for TJs?

It's unlikely, but I won't rule it out completely. Having done both a CJ kit and a Jeepster Commando kit for the TJ (with Hurst scoop option), I think it's time to move on to doing a kit for the JK.

LJ-8Final2_zpsfbe98979.jpg

CommandoKitH6_zpsdf245e37.jpg

Some of the components I'll be building for the JK Retro Rhino kit can also be used on the TJ, so for that reason I won't rule it out, but I don't plan to do a TJ version.

TJ-Gladiator_zpsj5gxklbh.jpg

And about the spare carrier hood for the TJ, same answer as the JK - if the consensus is that it's a bad idea, I won't pursue it.

TJHoodSpare_zpsrqvpjsiy.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
If the general consensus is that this is a bad idea, then I won't pursue it any further.

I believe it is just an unnecessary compromise to achieve a desired appearance. The weight of the tire alone requires extensive bracing and structure within the hood. The tight clearance to the 4.0L would make that impossible.

Good luck :)

unkamonkey

Explorer
I say to run with the thought even if it won't help me with any of with my Jeeps. You do very nice work and I'm not ever going to tell you to stop. I like how your mind works. My mind is like a cat that returns with something, dead or alive and stares at you to see if you like it. I'm just happy when my mind get's back home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz

Members online