JK Overlanding/Spare Carrier Hood?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
The thing with Jeeps is that it's so easy to run big tires. So while it's a great thought, I think the market may be pretty small.
Land Rovers, and other vehicles with integrated fenders are more difficult to put big tires on, and the hood is a great place for the small-ish tires on those rigs.

Now the Safari Chief front end, is a totally knock out! <insert wolf whistle here> :beer:
About the only market you won't penetrate with it is some of the Hard Rock guys, who have the uber-cool OEM hood. That is a very small percentage over 10 years of Wrangler sales. :)

One thing to consider on that front end is JK's run hot, and need as much open grill as possible.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I believe it is just an unnecessary compromise to achieve a desired appearance. The weight of the tire alone requires extensive bracing and structure within the hood. The tight clearance to the 4.0L would make that impossible.

Good luck :)

Not impossible. Before I post a project idea I always do enough preliminary design work to know that I can build what I am proposing ;).

Lee_N

I personally like this idea and don't think it's just to achieve some sort of a look. No it won't work for a really wide tire or if you're short, but it helps to distribute the weight evenly between the wheels. That's probably more important on a 2 door than on a 4 door.

akpostal

Adventurer
I said before I like the hood mount over the roof mount.

Im going to dig through my uni-strut pile and see if I can make a inside roll bar mount for the spare on the passenger side. If it works it should still leave room for the puppy.

Ild like a tote or cooler mount that bolts to the spare tire mount on the tail gate with the tray at the top of the tail gate. You could also mount spare gas cans or ammo cans under the tray on the sides. I could probably hack it out in unistrut but I dont have enough or fittings to pull off the ghetto build using a HF tray.

Could probably mock something up with EMT conduit but wouldnt be strong enough. That and welding EMT is probably not a good idea if I could weld.

Idea is plate bolts to the spare tire mount. Has a frame that mounts a tray just above the top of the tail gate. Tray holds a medium to large cooler, tote, or ammo cans. Mounts on the lower sides to hold gas/water/rotopax/ammo cans.

Im probably the only one who wants this item but I would appriciate any ideas how to fab /hack it together that doesnt look like ***.

Lee_N

I said before I like the hood mount over the roof mount.

Im going to dig through my uni-strut pile and see if I can make a inside roll bar mount for the spare on the passenger side. If it works it should still leave room for the puppy.

Ild like a tote or cooler mount that bolts to the spare tire mount on the tail gate with the tray at the top of the tail gate. You could also mount spare gas cans or ammo cans under the tray on the sides. I could probably hack it out in unistrut but I dont have enough or fittings to pull off the ghetto build using a HF tray.

Could probably mock something up with EMT conduit but wouldnt be strong enough. That and welding EMT is probably not a good idea if I could weld.

Idea is plate bolts to the spare tire mount. Has a frame that mounts a tray just above the top of the tail gate. Tray holds a medium to large cooler, tote, or ammo cans. Mounts on the lower sides to hold gas/water/rotopax/ammo cans.

Im probably the only one who wants this item but I would appriciate any ideas how to fab /hack it together that doesnt look like ***.

You might check out 8020.net. They sell excess pieces on EBay all the time. I'm looking at making a roof rack from some.

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
I personally really like this idea and as stated in the original post it wouldn't be just for looks, although it would look bada**. While he stated he would use it to carry a second spare, I could totally see the value of running a single spare on the hood and thus free up a TON of space on the back for custom racks, fuel and water jerrys for days, both, ect ect. Or a drop down tailgate like old CJs. Or both. Tons of possibilities.

Also, I still can't get over how good the CJ clip conversion looks. AND THAT JEEPSTER HOOD/GRILL!!! With the Hurst scoop!!!!! :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Can't wait to see both this the Rhino grill!!!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I personally really like this idea and as stated in the original post it wouldn't be just for looks, although it would look bada**. While he stated he would use it to carry a second spare, I could totally see the value of running a single spare on the hood and thus free up a TON of space on the back for custom racks, fuel and water jerrys for days, both, ect ect. Or a drop down tailgate like old CJs. Or both. Tons of possibilities.
That's a good idea - I can think of lots of things that could be done the back of the Jeep if the spare weren't in the way. But for me the goal of the spare carrier hood is to carry an extra spare without using the roof rack so the roof rack can be used for the tent.

Also, I still can't get over how good the CJ clip conversion looks. AND THAT JEEPSTER HOOD/GRILL!!! With the Hurst scoop!!!!! :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

My #1 goal for the CJ Kit was that it should look like it rolled off the assembly line that way - Jeep "experts" shouldn't be able to tell that it's not factory. I'm constantly surprised by "Jeep people" who ask come up to me and as "What year is your CJ?" :). I had the same goal for the TJ Hurst Commando kit, although I've never used that one an actual Jeep, I've only done mockups with the parts so far. (My goal for the Hurst scoop was that it should be a near-perfect reproduction that doesn't sag in the middle like all the factory ones did :)).

Can't wait to see both this the Rhino grill!!!

And that's the goal for the Retro Rhino kit - I want it to look like it came off the assembly line that way. When I finish it you can let me know if I succeeded :). Right now I'm leaning towards working on the Rhino kit before the spare carrier hood.

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
That's a good idea - I can think of lots of things that could be done the back of the Jeep if the spare weren't in the way. But for me the goal of the spare carrier hood is to carry an extra spare without using the roof rack so the roof rack can be used for the tent.

My #1 goal for the CJ Kit was that it should look like it rolled off the assembly line that way - Jeep "experts" shouldn't be able to tell that it's not factory. I'm constantly surprised by "Jeep people" who ask come up to me and as "What year is your CJ?" :). I had the same goal for the TJ Hurst Commando kit, although I've never used that one an actual Jeep, I've only done mockups with the parts so far. (My goal for the Hurst scoop was that it should be a near-perfect reproduction that doesn't sag in the middle like all the factory ones did :)).

And that's the goal for the Retro Rhino kit - I want it to look like it came off the assembly line that way. When I finish it you can let me know if I succeeded :). Right now I'm leaning towards working on the Rhino kit before the spare carrier hood.

I saw an old Series II Land rover around town once that had a spare on the hood and another in front of the grill between the fenders. He put jerrys up there once too. Interesting thought, not sure how he didn't overheat though. I've also seen pictures of Land Cruisers (mostly Australian) with 2 spares on the back. I personally think to run the rooftop tent and 2 spares the spare on the hood idea is golden, and if anyone is gonna pull it off you're gonna nail it. For other people that take inspiration from your designs but don't wish to carry 2 spares it certainly opens up a flood of possibilities for the rear. Either way it's gonna be awesome.

In terms of your CJ kit-That thing is awesome, and you pulled off your goal to make it look factory turned out brilliant. I read through the build on jeepforum, it's amazing that its basically bolt-on. I love how even all the under-hood accessories are in the same places and everything. And blending the cowls, the whole 9 yards. Incredible man. I absolutely love it, and you really have to do a double take. Part of that is because the overall sheet metal dimensions barely changed on Jeeps from the CJ5 to the TJ (they mostly just got longer). But mostly cause you did an outstanding job. You really do have to look. It's pure CJ, and you're like, oh man, that's awesome! Nice CJ dude! And then you're like, wait, are those TJ fenders? Hold on, the windshield wipers are in the wrong spot! But it's all little things; mirrors, bumpers, flares, door handles, different windshield. If I saw you driving down the road I'd be telling my friends about the awesome Scrambler with a hard top I just saw (after I waved of course :wavey:) The look on people's faces when you tell them your "CJ" is an '06 must be priceless:xxrotflma I bet people are like, "oh cool, wait what?"

About the Commando front end- that thing is awesome. You definitely accomplished what you set out to do there, it looks great! I think it would be super awesome to design a custom fastback hardtop to go with it like the Jeepsters that wore that front end had. That would be awesome. I gotta know, does the one you designed and built have the tach? Super cool Jeff, and if you ever want to see that one rolling around the streets and the trail I'll be the happiest Jeeeper alive to drive up there and give it a home!

As for the Retro Rhino, I have no doubt you're gonna nail it. And one the JK is wearing it proud your "CJ" might be looking for a little love ;) Really excited to see these projects come to life!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
...I gotta know, does the one you designed and built have the tach? Super cool Jeff, and if you ever want to see that one rolling around the streets and the trail I'll be the happiest Jeeeper alive to drive up there and give it a home!

Yes. My Hurst Commando scoop is a very close replica of the original, but since the original tach isn't available and most modern Jeeps already have a tach, I made the scoop so that it will accept one or two standard gauges. If a tach is needed, a standard tach could be installed, but any two gauges could be used.

HurstCommandoHood6_zpsdafcce69.jpg

The scoop posed on a JK at the dealer.

HurstJK6_zps4220d531.jpg

I drew in the stripes to turn this into a "Hurst JK" :).

HurstJK10_zps73a1b130.jpg

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
Very cool, love vintage decals on anything, and the special stripes on the Hurst Commando are no exception. (speaking of that, you could totally put old Scrambler stripes and hood decals on your TJ-that would be so cool) Love the gauges. And the JK you set it on has a very similar sized V6 just like what would have came in it.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Did you see this at SEMA? Looks pretty great, though I could do without the fender vents. Price doesn't seem unreasonable considering what it includes...

http://bawarrion.com/shop/bawarrion-m-7-jk-font/

Yes I did see it. I took some photos of it today and I'd post them but the photo hosting site I use seems to be down right now.

Seems nicely done, but it's got much more modern styling than I'm going for - I'm planning a more retro look for mine.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Yes I did see it. I took some photos of it today and I'd post them but the photo hosting site I use seems to be down right now.

Seems nicely done, but it's got much more modern styling than I'm going for - I'm planning a more retro look for mine.

Photobucket is working again, here's one of the photos I took of it at SEMA:

BAWarrion1_zpseypy8zzf.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
The tires look like 40"s. If so, that is a major cool factor.
I really like how wide the front fenders are. Would be great to keep all the grit, mud and snow off the doors. :)
Don't think they'd be too good off road in the rocks though.

I'm definitely a fan of the more retro look that you are going for, along with OEM style fenders that can handle abuse.

On a side note; One of the issues the JK faces is running hot. Since the grill area is smaller on this mod, it would be cool if the "Pie Plates", could be formed from expanded metal and painted to look like the original Pie Plates. This would provide more air flow.

SheepnJeep

Did you ever try getting a junkyard hood to bolt a tire to and let it ride around for a while? I still think its a cool idea. I am considering the same thing for my jeep. The hood pictured is already pretty hacked up and has braces welded underneath. Thinking about putting it on to try out with a spare on top before making a nicer version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz