K&N air filters

MaDMaX915

Observer
I Just got my rover home after buying it and drove it 4.5 hrs home no problem after a day or two around town the service engine soon light comes on i pulled the code and got a p1171 (Oxygen Sensor System Too Lean Fault Banks A & B )
After reading a bit I found someone having the same issue and had put a K&N filter in. The filter was the cause of the problem or that is what I think he was trying to say. Has anyone ever had this problem or know of the code and what has caused it.

alexrex20

Explorer
a clogged air filter could cause it to run lean. do you have a K&N filter and is it clogged? have you checked your air filter yet?

MaDMaX915

Observer
It has a K&N filter that looks to be new doesnt look clogged at all but i have read about them causing the MAF sensor to go bad or give false readings also i read that someone received this code because their gas cap was on too loose.

LandyAndy

Adventurer
Go ask over on Dweb, one of the tech's where will be able to give you a deffinate answer. For what it's worth my tech told me to bin the K&N and only use LR OEM filters, the K&N's let too much fine dust in & can cause other issues.

jgdisco2

Adventurer
i had that happen with a k&n, the oil on the filter is what causes the codes( or thats what ive heard) i put in an OEM filter and no trouble since!

lets see some pics of this new beast!!:smiley_drive:

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
You can get quality Wix filters at Amazon for $11.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C9UK2C/ref=oss_product"]Amazon.com: Wix 42285 Air Filter, Pack of 1: Automotive[/ame]

Well, maybe. You don't say what you're driving.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Ah, ok. Good idea to put it in your sig for when you have questions.

That's not the one you want then.

Explorer
The K&N will send a mist of oil down the intake which coats your Mass Air Flow sensor. The MAF will freak out and throw codes until you clean it up. To clean it up, you need to disconnect it from the power source, unscrew it, and hose it down with electronics cleaner or MAF cleaner. Be gentle and let it completely dry out before plugging it back in. Do this every oil change even if you upgrade to a better filter because they all allow some dust to hit the sensor. You should also hose out your intake about once a year.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
The trick with the K&N is to not over-oil it when cleaning it, and make sure it is thoroughly dried out before putting it back in (or installing it for the first time).

MaDMaX915

Observer
So I should take out that K&N and replace it with a stock filter reset the codes and see if it comes back? And if it does should I then try to clean the MAF as I understand this is a touchy job that could ruin the MAF. By the way my intake is a snorkel I do not know if this makes any difference.

Explorer
You gotsta clean the MAF, its super easy. It will probably do wonders for your fuel mileage. I would stick a factory air filter in it.

SMD

Adventurer
I've run a K&N filter in my D1 for 6+ years and 80k+ miles without MAF or any other related issues. Service the filter properly and it won't cause problems.

Dave Legacy

Adventurer
Toss that K&N and use OEM type. I'm sure it works out for some, but when it comes to these trucks it's better to expect that you wont be the exception.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77