Lack of 70 series Land Cruisers.

Elbee

Adventurer
I was just wondering why the lack of 70 series Land Cruisers on here. Especially the troopy version ( now know as 75/78 series), which seems like the near perfect truck for pretty much most things. Is it due to their popularity and thus higher prices that make it harder for people to import them? In Australia I've seen them for about $3,000 to $4,000 in really good shape for a late 80,s version.

I guess I have a soft spot for them and I want to see more stateside so I can buy one and not hassle with importation. :) But I guess I'll have to help lead the way and get one in a year or so.

killzone90

I like them but around me for one in good shape there 6-8 grand. I live in kentucky

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk 2

zimm

Expedition Leader
because toyota knows about .1% of the people that say "i'd buy one if toyota sold it", actually would, and getting a dinosaur designed in 1980 to pass any sort of crash would be $$$.

zimm

Expedition Leader
if you guys woulda quit moaning about 70's and petitioned toyota to import the hilux, you may have had some success. not likely, because all a tiny hilux would do is pilfer some tacoma sales, but, if there was some real demand for a small modern commercial truck, maybe they would have found a reason to sell it.

zimm

Expedition Leader
I like them but around me for one in good shape there 6-8 grand. I live in kentucky

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk 2

contact me next time you see a 7x troopy for sale in kentucky for 6-8g. i'll wire the money.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
seems like the near perfect truck for pretty much most things
They are, 75 troopies and cab-chassis are great, trouble is as I understand it the newest one you guys can get is 1988, probably too long in the tooth for most people.

In Australia I've seen them for about $3,000 to $4,000 in really good shape for a late 80,s version.
I just paid $15k for a 1995 model in very good condition with tray, canopy and dual tanks.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Finding a good pre 88 one in Australia is not going to be 3 -4 K. Then its at least 3.5K to get it here (well that's the pricing I am getting at the moment) without the cost of getting raped without vasoline for the port charges and other on fees. Then there is the lack of spares. Also there is the little issue of them being very spartan inside and the ones we can import having buggerall cab room or comfort (but the AC does its job well).

By the time I get mine here and all polished up it will be an 18K vehicle. No one in their right mind will pay that for a 16 year old 4WD that has been used for what it was built for. And you also have the issue that it seems to be a lot people like to finance their toys here. Try getting finance on a 16 year old vehicle that the banks/credit union cannot run a VIN check on.

And don't get me started on the fatal attraction there seems to be over here with the Toyota diesels. The models you can currently legally import have the 2H diesel. It is a gutless, relatively thirsty and prone to head issues from over heating. Put a turbo on it to get past issue 1 and you increase the pain at the pump and potential for head issues.

OK minor rant over. Want to hear a full rant just give me 2 beers and ask my opinion on land rovers :)

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
It's a Landcruiser, you won't need spares :)

There is the small thing of right-hand drive if you get one from Oz, even if you don't have to swap it over it to get rego it would be a pain to be on the wrong side all the time.

FJ75 Landcruiser 6 wheeler (hopefully on the boat from Oz to the USA soon)
All that said you are taking one over? Proper 6x6 conversion?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
We got BJ70s here in Canada for the 84-86 model years, so a left hand drive conversion is possible, but would be expensive. Even a rusted out 70 is going for $5-8,000. I saw 3 HZJ 75s for sale here the other day. The catch? No engines or trans, no papers, and all are in different stages of completeness. Some new parts included, so probably enough to build one or two good rolling chassis from. I believe they were used in mining up north.

Scott Brady

Founder
IMHO, the 70 will have a nice little boom here in the US, particularly once the HZJ77 is available, which is a seriously fantastic wagon. This is only in a few years, and the JDM and EU trucks will start pooring in. I believe this is even more relevant as most of the new trucks we can buy suck so bad. I would much rather invest 50,000 completely restoring an HZJ77 or 110 Defender than buy a new 200 series TLC. It will never be huge numbers, but Canada has brought in tons of them. The HZJ77 will also be ideal for maintaining and restoring, as the motor is still in production and the interior was in production until 2007!

Look at this stunner: http://www.flickr.com/photos/33618472@N02/3891150933/

There are guys bringing these trucks in, and they are fair prices too. I can see clean HZJ77s being available for about $18,000. What else can you buy for that?

We have an LJ77 registered to our Canadian office, and that truck is awesome. These JDM trucks can be really, really clean, and they are dead-nuts simple to work on.
FrontRunner_Adventure19.jpg

My outlook for these classic exploration platforms is bullish. We can now buy the trucks we always wanted. 110 Defenders? Sure! 75 Pick-ups? Sure! Diesel Discoveries? Sure! Diesel G-Wagons? You betcha

esh

Explorer
The downside is Toyota has decided to make diesel parts even harder to buy in the US. They really want you to have a legit VIN# for parts commonly available to 1HZs already in North America for mines.

On the upside we have a couple solid sources in Japan, Stedman being one.

Can't wait to find a South American 77 when the time is right. The 1HZ turbo in the FJ62 has been fantastic over the past 4 years I've had it in.

czenkov

Adventurer
My outlook for these classic exploration platforms is bullish. We can now buy the trucks we always wanted. 110 Defenders? Sure! 75 Pick-ups? Sure! Diesel Discoveries? Sure! Diesel G-Wagons? You betcha

Factory Diesel Disco's? Legally? In 2014. Many have been converted and not that pricey in some instances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk