Lack of 70 series Land Cruisers.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Rub it in why don't ya.
Well it's in really good condition, just 20,000k, one old-lady owner not into off-road, there were 5 to choose from on the lot...

(just kidding, there was only 4)

evilfij

Explorer
I am waiting for a 1990 1HZ LHD rust free troopy.

Two years although I am scouring the earth now and will buy and store it if I find one before it is importable.

If you are ok with RHD, tons are for sale cheap in oz.

Elbee

Adventurer
All great thoughts and responses. I have just started researching into the 70s series troopy and the intricacies of the various models and engines offered. I loved them before but after hooning around in one in OZ and then using them in the middle-east and riding around in the back of ones in South America, I now really would like to own one.
I have to agree that in a couple years as the more modern diesels become available among the defenders and land cruisers that their importation will surely increase. As long as the laws and tariffs stay the same,.

lugueto

Adventurer
Extremely capable vehicles, restrictively expensive (with a purpose) they're extremely unsafe. Although if youre into Toyotas you have to own one, thankfully here in Venezuela we dont have any shortage of those, but just to be extremely picky, I want a mostly-unavailable-to-all VDJ76.

I dont see why you guys would want a Hilux, we have them here and they're pretty much the same as the Tacoma (seriously). I guess the only difference is the option of a diesel engine, which some people would love, but why not just ask for a diesel Tacoma?

I guess you always want what you cant have?

Cheers,

Luis

Airmonger

Adventurer
I dont see why you guys would want a Hilux, we have them here and they're pretty much the same as the Tacoma (seriously). I guess the only difference is the option of a diesel engine, which some people would love, but why not just ask for a diesel Tacoma?

From what I understand the Hilux has a 1 ton chassis/drivetrain, correct?. The biggest thing limiting my Tacoma is its payload and towing capacity(towing is not so bad but stopping can be.) The off road ability of the Tacoma is great and its mileage is decent, but I want to add a camper and tons of weight.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
On the Tacoma vs Hilux debate...

...I dont see why you guys would want a Hilux, we have them here and they're pretty much the same as the Tacoma (seriously). I guess the only difference is the option of a diesel engine, which some people would love, but why not just ask for a diesel Tacoma? I guess you always want what you cant have?..

From what I understand the Hilux has a 1 ton chassis/drivetrain, correct? The biggest thing limiting my Tacoma is its payload and towing capacity (towing is not so bad but stopping can be). The off road ability of the Tacoma is great and its mileage is decent, but I want to add a camper and tons of weight.

Indeed the grass is always greener. I think it was Containerized that explained it best for me.
I cannot quote him directly, but it was something along the lines of the Tacoma being built to carry your family comfortably while towing 2000lbs whereas the Hilux is built to carry your work crew (or fellow dissidents) with 2000lbs in the bed.
Add that to the fact that 90% of U.S. buyers would probably get into a Hilux and wonder when Toyota went backwards 10yrs in time on the quality of their interior materials, and that's why we have the Tacoma here.
Because Toyota sells pickups to the buying market, not the small minority of which we are a part of here on Expedition Portal.
In my mind the design philosophies and intended markets are pretty different between the two chassis. :beer:

Scott Brady

Founder
What happened to the 70 and 110 from France?

Sitting in Belgium at the moment. Documentation problems with the Defender (i.e., given recent crushings, I am taking no chances with documentation). I really need to get that 70 series back from Europe - it has been in storage way too long

AFSOC

Explorer
Sitting in Belgium at the moment. Documentation problems with the Defender (i.e., given recent crushings, I am taking no chances with documentation). I really need to get that 70 series back from Europe - it has been in storage way too long

I hear ya, two years wait is more agony than I could take. Post a photo, we're dying to catch a glimpse.

Scott Brady

Founder
Funny. I looked back at that original post from 2011. Two completely different shipments and completely different vehicles. The 70 series we wanted to ship over was owned originally by Kaymar and then by Patrice from Outback Imports, who was going to send it over to the US for promotion at SEMA and OVEX. Patrice sold Outback Imports, and the 70 went back to Australia. Unfortunately, that shipment never happened. . .

The current vehicles that need to be shipped from Europe are a HZJ79 that some of you know from the E7 travels in Europe and Patrice's uber rare NAS Defender 90 Dakar support vehicle with only 1,200 original miles. With U.S. customs crushing Defenders for show, we are making sure all of the documentation is 100% before bringing the truck in. Even getting LRNA involved.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
whereas the Hilux is built to carry your work crew (or fellow dissidents) with 2000lbs in the bed.
And the 75 cab chassis is the next step up again, about 2900lbs on the back.

That's including the weight of your tray, subtract that for the working payload figure but depending on the application (ie a full-time camper) you may not have a tray.

Cab chassis are very common in Oz, I don't really see any in the US except for real trucks of course.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Extremely capable vehicles, restrictively expensive (with a purpose) they're extremely unsafe. Although if youre into Toyotas you have to own one, thankfully here in Venezuela we dont have any shortage of those, but just to be extremely picky, I want a mostly-unavailable-to-all VDJ76.

I guess you always want what you cant have?

Cheers,

Luis

OEX has a few. they said theres hardly a part that swaps anywhere. having crawled around one, it definitely isnt the same truck as a tacoma.

the hilux has basically the same design parameters as the 7x in capasity and footprint, but with IFS. considering the size of the trucks, you go bigger than 33's on either and youre into wheel spacers for turning radius. assuming the truck is for long distance travel, and not recreational wheeling, that limits you to 33's and minimal lift. i would say that "overlanders" would likely add lockers if not already present.

once you factor those items in, you realize a live front axle doesnt bring any advantages to the table over the IFS, and the IFS makes washboard tolerable, and allows for a wider range of long stroke straight 4's and 6's to be designed in from the factory. (oil pan)

i wouldnt be surprised if toyota offers a few more body styles in the hilux, when it kills the dinosaur. the chassis is light years better than a 7x. i like the box look of the 7x too, but if someone offered me a cab/chassis in either to use free for 100,000 miles of travel, id kick that 7x to the curb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk