Land Cruiser 100 to Jeep Rubicon Unlimited: Capability? Comfort?

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Update. After bouncing between black, red, white, anvil etc. I was finally able to find the color I really wanted with all the options I was looking for thanks to Pat@fieldsAuto on the JeepGarage.com/forum. Turns out there were only three in the whole country. Then one sold. And today I negotiated to buy the other one. So I'm driving up up Saturday to bring her home. The Land Cruiser is pending sale to an iH8Mud member on Monday.

Let the very slow, wife mandated Build Thread begin.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Awesome news!

Saaaa-weeeeeeT! :victory:

Pictures are mandatory, along with a complete breakdown of options.
Looking forward to following along on the build/adventure thread.

Scott

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
2014 Granite Crystal Pearl
Dark Saddle Leather interior w/heated seats
Black Hardtop
5-Speed Auto
4.10 Gearing
Auto Climate Control
Connectivity
730N Navigation system (The one option I didn't want. But it's been fine).
Alpine speakers
Tow Package
Side Airbags

4% under invoice.

I wanted all the options that would make it more comfortable for long distance travel. And all the options that make it better off road. And nothing else. Got pretty close. At least the Navigation system tells you your Lat and Long.

IMG_8107.JPG

10507045_10101869086188346_5409997156552326384_o.jpg

I'll have to kill this thread and start a build thread. I'm under a no major mods for one year restriction. So let's see what it can do stock.

So far, I'll say that a lifted 100-Series requires a lot less steering input on the highway and is more comfortable. The JKUR is a better size, geared better, has a lot more power:weight, and looks better stock. I already miss the sunroof, tailgate and venting rear windows. Time to take the JKUR's top off.

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
It's about time!

Sheesh, I thought you were never going to get it. :elkgrin:

Great options & color. When you decide to replace the 730n, it will sell for good money. So that's not such a bad thing, especially when considering you got it for 4% under.

I like that one year restriction for the major mods. Gives plenty of time to figure out what works and what doesn't.
Will look forward to your build.
Actually thinking of starting one for mine as well.

Congratulations. Hope to see you guys on the trail. :friday:

Scott

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Sheesh, I thought you were never going to get it. :elkgrin:

Great options & color. When you decide to replace the 730n, it will sell for good money. So that's not such a bad thing, especially when considering you got it for 4% under.

Turns out you can get 5% under invoice just by asking. 7 of the 20 dealers in LA were immediately willing to do 5% under on custom orders. The dealer I bought this from is in a smaller market, San Jose. So they were only willling to do 4% under. But there wasn't even any negotiating. I asked for 5% they said no. I said meet me in the middle at 4%. He asked his boss and 5 mins later the deal was done. Way easier than any other dealer I tried working with. No funny business when we came to pick it up either. Stevens Creek Jeep makes Hooman Jeep seem like a bunch of dirt bags. Makes me wonder how Hooman was planning to make up for that extra 1% with something shady.

CYK

Adventurer
I usually maintain, the landcruiser (the current 2013 body) is probably the best vehicle on earth. It does everything well. I would give the honor to the range rover but the reliability keeps it far from the top.

It is the best made car
on earth in my view so I went and got one.

I wish more folks could drive my 200 to understand how crazy awesome it is. Tank with a velvet glove.

Congrats to the op and I hope it works out for you. Land cruiser and 911s for life for me else I ain't putting a ring on it.

Last edited:

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
so if you don't mind m asking what is the invoice price on the jeep you got.. Nice 200 as well I am a sucker for all 4 wheel drive

I live in SoCal. So I don't really need awd. I want a 200 series when we need more passenger room. But I didn't want to go down the buying a 100,000+ mile used truck route.

Invoice is $40,560. Roughly half a 200 series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
My family has some history buying from Steven's Creek (they have a few dealerships for different brands), all has gone very well.
They've also been happy with their service departments (something you probably won't be using... lol)

Definitely looking forward to see what you do on the storage situation.
I need to address the same issue. Fortunately I have no need for the back seat. It is going to be removed and stowed away, along with the sub-woofer, to make room for the largest drawer possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal