Land Cruiser 100 to Jeep Rubicon Unlimited: Capability? Comfort?

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Ordered. Should get it in August. Should look like this.

Jeep-Wrangler-Unlimited-2013-Black-SUV-Rubicon-Gasoline-6-Cylinders-4-Wheel-Drive-Automatic-75093-4+%25281%2529.jpg

Jeep-Wrangler-Unlimited-2013-Black-SUV-Rubicon-Gasoline-6-Cylinders-4-Wheel-Drive-Automatic-75093-5.jpg

Jeep-Wrangler-Unlimited-2013-Black-SUV-Rubicon-Gasoline-6-Cylinders-4-Wheel-Drive-Automatic-75093-6+%25281%2529.jpg

2015 Unlimited Rubicon
5-Speed Auto Trans
4.10 Gearing
Dark Saddle Leather interior
Seat heaters
Auto climate control
Side Airbags
Connectivity group (bluetooth)

In the first year or two, I plan to install the following things in order to get the Jeep as well equipped and useable as the Land Cruiser:
Quadratec floor liners
Mac's Tie Downs or Black Widow Cargo Drawers
Rock Hard Winch plate for oem bumper w/ Warn Vr8000
17" Single Row CREE 100w LED Lightbar on winch
AEV Rear Tire Carrier w/ fuel caddy
Yaseu ft8800
CB
Waeco CF50 Fridge/Freezer in 40% seat
Dual G34 Die Hard Platinum batters with T-Maxx dual battery controller or possibly just a single Die Hard Platinum Marine Group 31 Battery.
Quadratec Trailer Hitch
AEV Rear Diff Guard
Evo Skid Plate Package
Spiderweb Shade
And AEV 2.0" Lift or Terraflex leveling kit to counter the added weight.

Other than the above mentioned mods, I might get a set of BFG MT 34 or 35s on stock 17" rims with wheel spacers and install the AEV 2.5" lift. That's pretty much the full extent of the intended mods.

I'm also looking into Xpel, Suntek, 3M Ventureguard or other PPF to wrap the sides. These self healing films seem like the only decent defense between black paint and desert pin striping.

Last edited:

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
[Q UOTE=kojackJKU;1601232]I would go teraflex. I love mine[/QUOTE]
Leveling kit? How does that work with shock travel?

I'd like to make up for the weight of the drawers, winch and tire carrier and then add about a inch or so for break over angle. As it stands now, the jeep has a lot less clearance than my land cruiser. With the exception of approach and departure angles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Congrat's on the order. Nicely optioned!

I *read* on Wrangler Forum that the stock rear bumper will work as a water tank. Not sure how many gallons, or how to do the mod, but might be worth a search.
Can't wait to see it wrapped. That is an excellent idea!

Any specific reason on the Yaesu 8800 over a Kenwood D710? Just wondering, as I'm looking at both, but haven't decided on either. As of now I have echo link on the smart phone, and a Baofeng UV-Bx (the one with the rotary knob on top instead of the flashlight).

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Congrat's on the order. Nicely optioned!

I *read* on Wrangler Forum that the stock rear bumper will work as a water tank. Not sure how many gallons, or how to do the mod, but might be worth a search.
Can't wait to see it wrapped. That is an excellent idea!

Any specific reason on the Yaesu 8800 over a Kenwood D710? Just wondering, as I'm looking at both, but haven't decided on either. As of now I have echo link on the smart phone, and a Baofeng UV-Bx (the one with the rotary knob on top instead of the flashlight).

Because I already own the 8800. I have the beofang uv5+ also. Honestly, that radio with a longer antenna, external mic and car adapter is all you need unless you're concerned with hitting repeaters 5+ miles away.

The wraps would just be clear paint protection film. But it's so expensive, I'd rather just repaint the fenders. I'm hoping to get the grill, leading hood edge, leading edge of the fenders and then full coverage on the doors.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Yeasu is really quality stuff!

Sweet! That 8800 is a beautiful radio.
My thoughts are to set up the mobile as a repeater for when hiking away from the Jeep, just in case something bad happens on a hike. For a short period I though of getting a TS-2000 with the D710 front end, but not sure how someone in outer Mongolia is going to help in an emergency... :D

I have also *read* (no first hand experience) that the 3M paint protection system is supposedly very good. It's also pretty cheap, and could easily cover things like the door hinges. So maybe something to consider.
I added the Mopar mud flaps to help keep the front tires from kicking up stones (KMs are wicked bad for this), and grit down the body side.

Really looking forward to you getting the Jeep, and following along with your mods.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Well, I got an extra 2" of height. No extra weight carrying capacity. but neither would the 2 Inch aev either. for 2 times the cost. I installed Monroe reflex monotube shocks which are the same length as the stock rubicon shocks. So, you will loose a little down travel but gain a bit of up travel. I feel its a great system as long as your not slapping on heavy bumpers etc. Keep the weight light and it works great. I am running my stock bumpers. I am replaceing my stock tire carrier with the teraflex version. I have a rattle in my tail gate now and its time to add the teraflex unit. I am also adding airbags to the rear for carrying gear and family. a lot of people don't like them but if installed properly they provide an effective weight carrying advantage. I am going to flex my rear suspension while installing them so my hoses have adequate travel and slack. the teraflex kit has a nice hole to run the hoses for the airbags and keeps them tight and ran properly.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Well, I got an extra 2" of height. No extra weight carrying capacity. but neither would the 2 Inch aev either. for 2 times the cost. I installed Monroe reflex monotube shocks which are the same length as the stock rubicon shocks. So, you will loose a little down travel but gain a bit of up travel. I feel its a great system as long as your not slapping on heavy bumpers etc. Keep the weight light and it works great. I am running my stock bumpers. I am replaceing my stock tire carrier with the teraflex version. I have a rattle in my tail gate now and its time to add the teraflex unit. I am also adding airbags to the rear for carrying gear and family. a lot of people don't like them but if installed properly they provide an effective weight carrying advantage. I am going to flex my rear suspension while installing them so my hoses have adequate travel and slack. the teraflex kit has a nice hole to run the hoses for the airbags and keeps them tight and ran properly.

After reading more about the AEV 2.5 lift. I'd rather good out and get that. But I worry it would look dumb with 32" tires.

I've thought about linking the 8800s channels into a repeater but never actually done it.

I'm not a fan of airbags. I couldnt get the hoses to stay attached. And they add spring rate without adding dampening.

I found another wrap place that will do the doors for $250ea. That's still a lot. I wonder if it'd be cheaper for them to just use a sheet of xpel to custom wrap the sides. I wonder if I could install the grill, hood and fender xpel kit myself. Seems pretty straight forward on flat surfaces like that. But I may try to work it Into a deal to do the sides. I'm really second guessing not getting white after watching the white AEV brute on top gear last night.

I feel like I should make a new thread or rename this one. Ha.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
yes. the 2.5 is a different animal. make sure to get the drop brackets. go 33's. it will look better and still drive perfect.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
If you haven't received a VON, you can change colors. Once the dealer provides the VON (or VIN), then the build is fixed.
I've seen some pretty awesome looking white Jeeps.

On the lift with 32" tires, personally it seems it looks a bit low and very raked from the factory. The JKs with the lift and stock KMs seem too look better lifted and level, than how they look from the factory.
There is a picture thread, plus a lot of builds with pics like this. Might just look through them to see what *you* think.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Well scratch all that. The dealer did t place the order. Now Jeeps system is making all rubicon orders add a $650 alpine stereo that was standard last year. And in really second guessing getting black. The buying process has been so frustrating that I don't even really want to give Jeep money at this point.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Well scratch all that. The dealer did t place the order. Now Jeeps system is making all rubicon orders add a $650 alpine stereo that was standard last year. And in really second guessing getting black. The buying process has been so frustrating that I don't even really want to give Jeep money at this point.

Well that's got to be frustrating. :(

If you can get U-Connect without Alpine, it wouldn't be much of a loss to "not" order the Alpine. So you might be saving $650 on stuff you'd want to change out soon anyway. Personally I'm fairly satisfied with the 130 & Alpine system, but I have hearing damage from my infantry days, so...
Many others aren't so happy with the sound.

Dealer only gets allotment twice a month, so if they've filled their allotment, it can be up to two weeks before they can place your order with Jeep.
There is something called a POC, which if I understand correctly is a somewhat binding contract that guarantees your deal with the dealership, regardless if their price goes up from Jeep. From what I've *read* the dealer can go back to Jeep for the difference (not sure how accurate that part is). If you filled that out to place your order, and the dealer doesn't want to stand by that, call IAMJEEP, and get a rep involved. Others seem to have had very good results this way.
All this and more is in a couple of threads on WF.
Hope it helps you out.

Have you tried building a Jeep on Jeep.com, and seeing what shows up in stock w/in 500 miles?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I just did a quick build for a 2014 Rubicon. Just to see what was still available around San Diego area.
Quite a few to look through. Stuff in transit *may* be ordered for a customer, and sold already. but the stuff on the lot should be valid.
Looking at the end of the vin 27xxxx should be about a month old on the lot. So that can give you an idea of how long they've sat.
Here's a link to what I found. You could do a much better search than this, but at least it will give you an idea of what is around.
http://www.jeep.com/hostc/sni/IUJ201407/results.do?ccode=IUJ201407JKJS74A&llp=2TR&zipCode=92102&radius=25&options=RES,A7,WFA,TT7,SDD,ERB,DEH,Z5A,DMF,PW7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal