Land Cruiser 100 to Jeep Rubicon Unlimited: Capability? Comfort?

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Ambient temp 84.2*F (weather station with thermal probe in the shade).
White car =128*F
Anvil Jeep = 140*F
Black fender of Jeep = 151*F
Inside top of roof 139*F
black leather seat (in shade) 118*F
rubber floormat 101*F

So my vote would be white Jeep with white top, and for top off cruising a nice light colored screen shade. Oh and I LOVE the remote start with auto temp control... :)

Wow! Thanks for the science. You guys are way more helpful than the wrangler forum or even my club's Facebook group. They're just giving me a hard time about selling.

The idea of top of cruising is probably better than actually doing it. I'm hoping removing the two panels, and maybe the doors occasionally, will be fun enough. Getting the whole hard top off is probably a big pain. I'll miss the sunroof and venting rear windows. Too bad no one's made a kit to make the JKU hard top windows either vent or flip up for accessing the rear.

Do the door straps drive yall crazy? I'd think door hinge detents and hood and tailgate gas struts would be an essential first mod.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Not having detents is really a good thing. Ever think your door was going to stay open, only to have it slam from wind or the angle, into your shins?
Having door straps, is like going to a Don Rickles dinner show. You know you're going to get smacked, and you're almost ready for it.

The rear tailgate does have a somewhat soft detent. It's not a strap like the doors. Now how it will work with 40K lbs of tires, gas cans, Hi-Lift, trasharoo, ect., is debatable. But mine holds pretty good in the driveway with just the stock spare tire.

You can get detent kits that replace the door straps.
There are Freedom tops with sunroofs built in, but they don't open and are crazy expensive. Could be modified to open with a bit of engineering prowess.
Pretty sure I saw both of those on Quadratrac.

Really, if you can think of it on a JK, someone already sells it. ROFL

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Really, if you can think of it on a JK, someone already sells it. ROFL

Except for this:
FlipUpSlide2.jpg

Flip up or venting pop out hardtop windows would be pretty nice.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
But there are so many other good, affordable products for the JKU. This drawer makes my custom 3 month drawer build seem stupid. Mine is bigger and still cheaper. But this has so many smart features. It's knocking ARB drawers off my build list.

392564_10151062115152879_1013000167_n.jpg

Hopefully, we'll go drive some Rubicons this weekend and make a decision.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Except for this:
FlipUpSlide2.jpg

Flip up or venting pop out hardtop windows would be pretty nice.

Nice window setup! :beer:

There is a company who makes the popup windows as well for the Wrangler. Saw it in a thread on another forum, but can't find it again. Also saw a post from a guy who installed sliding side windows for a camper into his top, similar to what Ursa Minor has for the J30.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
We're trying to finalize our color choices. Were between white exterior with black fender and top and saddle leAther interior. Or red exterior, black top and trim and black cloth interior with the option of adding tan katzkins or seat covers later. Hopefully getting an order in this week before the 2015 price increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
or the flip up ones im down for those! Jeep or Tacoma, you obviously picked the right one in your name I assume.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I like where this is going! :victory:
Looks like the 2015 may be opening up for orders in June?

If I was going to put in side windows, I'd find a popular size, and look for a replacement window assembly. I'd also prefer to have a screen, than to have both sides slide.
Still haven't found the link to the JKU with the pop-up windows, like you have. It's buried in another thread, probably about transmission fluid specs, or something else that would make sense to no one. :(

SamM

Adventurer
Really? White and brown. That's the worst. My black on black is hot but I live in WV and it snows here for 6 months. And the remote start and a/c fix the black leather on 95 degree days anyway. Plus, I tinted the side windows and that helps a lot. Go red on red or anvil and red. Way better color choices. If it's really 70 degrees year round what difference would it make?

SamM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal