Land Cruiser 100 to Jeep Rubicon Unlimited: Capability? Comfort?

Neuner

Observer
The appeal of owning a newer, nicer, more reliable vehicle is enticing however for some there is the draw for the older vehicle because it's paid off and if anything drastic happens to it, there's less worry. I purchase slightly used and then run them until they are almost worthless. My exception was the purchase of a CJ7 but that's a whole different world that doesn't make sense most of the time but I love it.

Even if they were the same age, price, etc, I'd be drawn to the Jeep for most of the reasons you've mentioned BUT all of the things that can sometimes make them fun can become annoying over time. If you're looking to use it with the top off then when? If you're using a hard top, they can be heavy and take up space to store. You'll have to keep a soft top or emergency top with you in case of inclement weather, heat, etc. A softtop is not as secure just like any softtop convertible but it's what you would want to take with you for the scenic offroad trips. If you have overhead /roof storage for that same trip, how fun is topless going to be? People do all of these things all the time but I think you need to figure out how you will use it and if it makes sense for the way you want to use it, especially on trips.

Typically I look at cost and do a line item by line item comparison to see which one makes more sense when totaled up. What's the cost difference between the gas usage, depreciation, cost of loan, cost of vehicle vs repairs (if you hire a shop to do it to save your valuable free time). It's been a good aid in my decision for when it's time to give up and move onto the next. The older vehicle may get less gas mileage but once you figure up the cost of the loan, the money to modify the new to your liking, etc., it may not seem so bad.

I absolutely love my CJ, and I know it's a much rougher bare bone version of a JKU but it really sucks when you get caught in a freak storm without your doors or top, afraid to leave it unattended some place without a top wondering how many more secure compartments you need to install so nothing is stolen, or you have to wear ear plugs due to the noise from the semi's and other large vehicles passing you so you don't go deaf because no-doors = MUCH louder than any convertible.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Not worried about her comfort. I'm worried about someone walking up and walking away with her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be devastating!

They do make locking collars and leashes, like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/PAWZ-Safespot-Locking-Dog-Leash/dp/B00F5ZKLPE

Some kind of locking harness along with a leash like that would provide a bit of security as well as comfort. Probably a good investment.

BTW; Be careful when you search for "locking collars". There are some pretty strange web sites out there. Probably don't want to do that web search while at work...

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I actually just did the math on cost of ownership. The potential gas and repair savings almost make up for the entire payment cost.

$1200 savings in gas a year. If I was paying a shop, the 100 probably goes through about $2000 worth of work a year.

That's estimating that the 100 will need another timing belt job, radiator, hoses, CVs, wheel bearings, brakes, alternator, spark plugs, front locker, regear, and possibly a brake booster in the next 3 years. Regear is voluntary but the front locker isn't. Everyone I wheel with has recently blown there oem front diff.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
When my wife met me I owned a 96 civic with 160,000 miles that stopped turning left and was recently t-boned.

Then we got a 90k mile 100 series that was totaled in Death Valley a year later. Now we have a 180k mile 100. I feel a little bad that my car has always been a falling apart work in progress our entire relationship. Haha.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
It was that way for me and my wife for years. I was always needing funds out of the budget to fix up the latest beater. Now that ive bought all the tools and have the know how I finally have a bigger budget. Ive found accesorizing my new junk is much more enjoyable than rebuilding wore out vehicles.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have a mazda 5 for my wife, its starting to get long in the tooth as well. We were all set to get a new patriot, had it ordered but then cancelled it when the new Cherokee came out. We were waiting for the dealer to get a trailhawk in. While we were waiting, (still no trailhawk in here), the renegade was released. She was drawn to that like a moth to light. Small, compact, safe and cool. well, since that's at least 8 months out, we were waiting on that. One night we were watching tv and she saw the ad for the new Nissan micra. It was her first car and had a blast in it back in the day. She thought the new one was really cool so I said buy one. its the cheapest car in Canada right now. We promptly called the dealer and got them working on getting us a white one with all the trimmings. plus the red intensity package and a few other bits. 18,000 for the fully loaded model. perfect, we are moving to a new home and place of work for me. Im starting a new business here and and the lower payments will be very helpful. I can buy two micras for the price of either one of the jeep products. The other upside of getting another small car is the gas savings. The micra uses 1/3 the gas of my jeep. at 4.3 l per 100kms compared to 12-13 on the highway that's a huge savings per year as well.

Neuner

Observer
I actually just did the math on cost of ownership. The potential gas and repair savings almost make up for the entire payment cost.

$1200 savings in gas a year. If I was paying a shop, the 100 probably goes through about $2000 worth of work a year.

That's estimating that the 100 will need another timing belt job, radiator, hoses, CVs, wheel bearings, brakes, alternator, spark plugs, front locker, regear, and possibly a brake booster in the next 3 years. Regear is voluntary but the front locker isn't. Everyone I wheel with has recently blown there oem front diff.

Sounds good, now let's see some pics of this Jeep!! :victory:

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
It was that way for me and my wife for years. I was always needing funds out of the budget to fix up the latest beater. Now that ive bought all the tools and have the know how I finally have a bigger budget. Ive found accessorizing my new junk is much more enjoyable than rebuilding wore out vehicles.

I hear that. I think at first you're out to prove to yourself that you can do it. I've done some pretty intense jobs on my 100. Everything short of engine work. Last night, I helped my friend replace an alternator on a beater Miata he just bought. Afterward, I just thought, I'm sick of doing this. ha.

I posted a feeler thread for my 100 on here and MUD yesterday. Trying to see what people think it's worth. I don't want to commit to ordering a JKUR and then find out I can't get more than $10,000 for my Land Cruiser.

Last edited:

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Sounds good, now let's see some pics of this Jeep!! :victory:

Working on it! Even my penny pinching mom who loaned me money to buy my first 100 is on board. But my dad is flying in for a trip down to Baja in mid June. So I can't ditch the Land Cruiser until after that. I'm trying to get some folks lined up to maybe buy the bigger bolt on mods off of it so I don't get hosed as much when I sell it. My original thought was to keep everything on the 100. Then, I thought, that's dumb. Why sell the winch with the truck for a discount when I'll just have to buy full priced new one for the new jeep.

I whipped out a tape measure in the parking lot yesterday and discovered that the stock JKUR 255/75r17 tires are only a 1/2-inch shorter than my 295/75r16s. Which is weird. They're supposed to be 33.4-inches tall but are closer to 31.5-32"

One of the guys I wheel with sold his built up 100 series for $16,500 with 165k miles after owning it for 12 years. He replaced it with a JKUR at his wife's request. He's kind of helped convince me. He says he takes that thing mostly stock to places we wouldn't dare take our built up 100s. He also has a lot more $$$ to throw around.

But he made some good points with color choice. I really like black, red and granite JKURs with black hard tops. But in SoCal where it's sunny year round, that's going to be one hot Jeep. I might stick with white exterior and tan interior. The white stays cool and hides scratches. And the tan leather cleans more easily and hides the dust and dog hair.

So I'm leaning toward this color combo now.

f1c64d13a89da7aed5cafac6cf8ed83ex.jpg

5fcd6f786e9b0b3fefd4e013faa78fbbx.jpg

8387c0c08e7ef8801ca82459d6a4de32x.jpg

e1be6605fbffb54255dd1060e71193b9x.jpg

a8d5e0ae4c3f542967b023a8eb8ff13ax.jpg

b775a53ff4c766d0ecb0b69afb0e9ab5x.jpg

GetOutThere

Adventurer
I have a black on black JKUR. You will thank yourself later for getting the white top. On a 32c+ day, I cannot keep my hand on the interior of my top for any length of time. That sucker gets seriously hot.

Personally I never could get behind the two tone interior. My initial reaction is always positive, but after a few minutes the glaring contrast between the black and the brown starts to bother me. Throw in the exterior colour popping through, and I can't imagine being in that for long drives.

Klaus, maybe I missed it, but did you ever get to drive the Rubicon? I saw that you thought the engine was peaky while driving the sport. This mirrors my opinion when I recently was driving a JKU with the 3.21s while my Rubi was in the shop. The 4.10s make the Jeep an entirely different animal. Fuel economy takes a kick to the nuts, but I'll take that over the 3.21 performance, personally. Nose dive is still horrible on the Rubi though.

I can't really comment on the comparison between your 100 and the Rubi, as I've never driven a Cruiser, but I can share some of my thoughts after owning the Jeep for my short 2+ years.

- The stock Rubi mudders wear well, are pretty good in mud, and are pretty quiet for a MT. They absolutely suck in rain and winter conditions aside from deep snow.
- The Rubi traction control hates snow wheeling, even in 4lo. That little "ESC OFF" light? It's lying. The traction control loves to try to bog you down using the BLD. It's rage inducing.
- The 5speed auto and 3.6 were made for eachother. Love the combo.
- The Rubicon is shockingly capable off road. Until one is owned and wheeled, I don't think this point can be completely understood.
- Payload sucks. Keep your mods light. Weight should probably be the primary attribute when looking at any mods, in my opinion.
- NVH does wear on you on long drives (7+ hours a day)
- I have taken my roof off once per summer. It's heavy, and a pain in the ***. If I could get a permanent roof and doors, I would. Jeep purists be damned. If I had a garage and a hoist, this might be different.
- I do take the doors off occasionally for fun, as it's simple. I would not miss this option if it didn't exist.
- Lighting in the front seat area sucks at night. I don't know if they added vanity mirror lights in the new years. If they haven't, expect to hear about this from your wife/gf/mistress/female friends.
- Stock premium sound system is about as good as most base model systems. Stuffing with polyfill helps, but don't expect miracles.
- Rear middle seat has literally no support under it. Do not allow your heftier friends to sit here. It is seat cushion and fabric stretched over a void space.
- It is impossible to keep the sides of the vehicle clean due to the wheels out design. This doesn't really bother me, but your mileage may vary.
- Sheet metal is very thin. Very, very thin.
- Coming from a Cruiser, I expect that the variety of mod choices available will astound you.
- Range SUCKS. I don't mind paying to fill a Jeep, and I don't mind sub par fuel economy, but I'd love some better range.
- The hood flutters alarmingly at times when very windy, or passing semis. Upgrading to after market latches fixed this for cheap.

I absolutely love my Jeep. So far, so good.

Only issues thus far: I blew the PS pump while off road, and my steering wheel buttons sometimes don't activate on a press, requiring a second or sometimes third press.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I personally like the two tone black and saddle interior. It was a selling point for me after looking at so many that were just black. I like the white exterior color as well, but having three white cars in a row left me wanting a different color, so I opted for the green. I really liked the 2012 tan color and wish they'd bring that back. It is my first pick for the best overlander color choice. The current Dune color is too orange in my opinion.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
If you like the black roof, get a set of head liners. they will make everything fine in summer and winter. I like the anvil color and white. they got rid of all the cool colors. Gecko, rock lobster, mango tango, crush, dozer. to name a few. rescue green was another awesome color. detonator yellow another. Jeeps are supposed to be bright fun vehicles. Not boring bland ones. Bring back the bright fun colors.

You will love the rig tho. I have 285/70/17s with a 2" teraflex leveling kit and I have never wanted more. the 285s keep gas milage good. I am getting 16mpg in town and much better on the highway. I wanted to get a solid mounted roof rack, but I think im going back to my original plan of getting a surco unit that can easily mount and unmounts when needed. Add a small awning to it, mounted all the time, and that way I can have it full expo or street depending on what we are doing.

Neuner

Observer
X2 on the two-tone!!

That one is sharp and when I think of overland vehicles I usually see more white or tan one's and I'm sure there is a reason. Just bought my 4th black-on-black vehicle a couple of weeks ago only because they have all been steals. I've really wanted a light colored vehicle especially here in SoTx. I only painted my CJ7 black because that was the color I found the heavy duty industrial paint in and it's the original color. I get a lot of complements but I'm very tempted to paint it white during down time this winter.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
My last car and my wife's car are black on black. It was fine most of the time on the east coast. But too hot here.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Just for fun I checked the external body temp of the white work car, and the Anvil JK. Both have been sitting in the sunny driveway all day.
Used a Raytec Mini-Temp (IR temp gun), after putting masking tape over part of the body on each vehicle, and letting the tape equalize to the body temp (polished surfaces reflect inconsistently).

Ambient temp 84.2*F (weather station with thermal probe in the shade).
White car =128*F
Anvil Jeep = 140*F
Black fender of Jeep = 151*F
Inside top of roof 139*F
black leather seat (in shade) 118*F
rubber floormat 101*F

So my vote would be white Jeep with white top, and for top off cruising a nice light colored screen shade. Oh and I LOVE the remote start with auto temp control... :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3