Land Cruiser 100 to Jeep Rubicon Unlimited: Capability? Comfort?

personally I don't like red cars or jeeps I love the white and brown combination My jeep is a 2008 white 4 dr rubicon black fenders and top I love it.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I like anything bright and cool, white falls in that, the dark greens, black greys etc do nothing for jeep. they are fun and need fun colors!

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
We made it to the last signature at the Jeep dealer this weekend on a Black JKUR with a matched hardtop, dark saddle interior, every option imaginable. Got the dealer down to 5% under invoice with 1.99% APR. But in the end the cost of all those unnecessary options, and not having the cash in hand from my 100, made us back out at the last minute. We're pretty set on the options we really want now. My wife is leary of spending almost $40,000 on a 4x4 that'll go off road. But she really liked the Jeep. She wanted to drive it and attempted some parking maneuvers she'd never try in the 100. Then she told me there will be no spare key, just mine and hers. And asked how to load her surfboard.

2015 JKUR
Granite with matched hardtop if available, or Firecracker red with black hard top.
Dark Saddle leather interior
Auto trans
4.10 gearing
Connectivity group
Side airbags
Auto Climate control

And I think that's it. I hate the idea of onboard nav that is outdated before you even buy it. Although, I'd like the screen for a reverse camera. The tow package seems useful but Quadratec sells the hitch and wiring for $75 instead of $400.

Ordering opens up the 6th. But I haven't seen any official color or pricing list yet. I'd like to get the order in on the 6th, but I can't really reach out to dealers until I know the official colors and can estimate the factory invoice.

We were really surprised how cool the inside of the Black one this weekend was. I figured it'd be hot from sitting in the sun all day. But they must have a nice tint and some type of UV windshield. But after we walked away from the deal, I had second thoughts about the black. It looks awesome from 20ft way. Has that G-Wagen look we love. But up close, it just always looks dirty. Pin striping would be a huge problem. I'm hoping Red or Granite won't show dirt and scratches as much. As for the white, I love it on Toyotas and Land Rovers. But something about it on the Jeep looks kind of cheap like a government vehicle. So there goes practicality. The Granite might be a good compromise and is close to the classic FJ62/4Runner grey that I love. While red is just fun. And that's the point of a Wrangler, right?

9ac05c0dbca7042988cfcab23bf665b4x.jpg

9gq6WdD.jpg

5fcd6f786e9b0b3fefd4e013faa78fbbx.jpg

Last edited:

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
It's been hot here lately and my new homemade headliners are working awesome. I wouldn't sweat the black hardtop if you plan to insulate it. As for the nav, I hadn't planned on buying it, but it has turned out to be one of my favorite features, after the off road package of course. It showed me yesterday that it's due an update. I'll probably wait until next year to do it though.... Taking it to the coast on Sunday for a week in the sand, Woohooo! I can't wait!

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
We made it to the last signature at the Jeep dealer this weekend on a Black JKUR with a matched hardtop, dark saddle interior, every option imaginable. Got the dealer down to 5% under invoice with 1.99% APR. But in the end the cost of all those unnecessary options, and not having the cash in hand from my 100, made us back out at the last minute. We're pretty set on the options we really want now. My wife is leary of spending almost $40,000 on a 4x4 that'll go off road. But she really liked the Jeep. She wanted to drive it and attempted some parking maneuvers she'd never try in the 100. Then she told me there will be no spare key, just mine and hers. And asked how to load her surfboard.

2015 JKUR
Granite with matched hardtop if available, or Firecracker red with black hard top.
Dark Saddle leather interior
Auto trans
4.10 gearing
Connectivity group
Side airbags
Auto Climate control

And I think that's it. I hate the idea of onboard nav that is outdated before you even buy it. Although, I'd like the screen for a reverse camera. The tow package seems useful but Quadratec sells the hitch and wiring for $75 instead of $400.

Ordering opens up the 6th. But I haven't seen any official color or pricing list yet. I'd like to get the order in on the 6th, but I can't really reach out to dealers until I know the official colors and can estimate the factory invoice.

We were really surprised how cool the inside of the Black one this weekend was. I figured it'd be hot from sitting in the sun all day. But they must have a nice tint and some type of UV windshield. But after we walked away from the deal, I had second thoughts about the black. It looks awesome from 20ft way. Has that G-Wagen look we love. But up close, it just always looks dirty. Pin striping would be a huge problem. I'm hoping Red or Granite won't show dirt and scratches as much. As for the white, I love it on Toyotas and Land Rovers. But something about it on the Jeep looks kind of cheap like a government vehicle. So there goes practicality. The Granite might be a good compromise and is close to the classic FJ62/4Runner grey that I love. While red is just fun. And that's the point of a Wrangler, right?

Between the two colors, Granite would be my choice, only because it is slightly cooler, and near invisible on the freeway when at warp speed. There's a reason they call it "Arrest Me Red"...

I've had Chrysler navigation, and won't make that mistake again. (IMO) Good choice, they still haven't learned. There are so many great choices for Nav with cameras (front and rear, even IR if you want) in the aftermarket, also there are kits that will keep your steering wheel buttons functional.

Like your options list, and would only add heat to the seats and remote start. Both of which are available factory, or aftermarket.
Love the 4.10 gears, especially in town. Really makes the Jeep quick. Definitely affects the fuel mileage though.

Highly recommend the 7 pin Mopar trailer hitch harness and a generic hitch, instead of the "all in one" hitch/harness deal from Quadratec. That's trailer brakes, and an external 12V power source. Pick up a cheap adapter pretty much anywhere, if you need a 4 pin plug.

Good luck with the order. Have you gone to the Jeep website, built what you want and then looked to see what's available? If I understand the program correctly, your local dealer can pull from up to 500 miles away, if that's helpful.

TeCKis300

Observer
I find it incredibly interesting to the take a mental trip through someone's justification process. Goes to prove how everyone's perspective is unique. While I can't agree with a lot of the justifications made here in moving from the 100 series to the JK, at least you did evaluate the trade spaces within your own priorities and shared it. Thanks for that.

It certainly will be interesting to hear your reflection once you've completed the move.

GetOutThere

Adventurer
A few quick thoughts:

My heated seats are invaluable. If you have any thought that you may get use out of them, I'd say don't leave them out!

I agree that Chrysler nav is horrid, and can be left out.

I did not get remote start, or the tow package on my Jeep. I regret both of those decisions. I know for my year of Jeep, if you didn't get the tow package, you didn't get trailer sway control, and it's not something you can add later.

I believe that last point was changed for the 2014 model year though.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Today 2015 ordering started. The heated seats come with the leather option. So don't worry, we'll get them. My wife likes them, I pretty much only use them on off-roading trips. Otherwise it's never cold enough to need them here, unless you had the top off.

One of the best justifications I've come up with is that I can use the cash from selling the 100 to pay off most of my 6.8% interest rate federal student loans. Put as little down on the Jeep as possible. I'll sill be paying the same amount in loans a month, but it'll be a shorter 1.9% APR loan instead of a non forgivable 6.8% This saves thousands of dollars in interest later.

I still agree that it doesn't make sense to sell the 100 after putting all that work into it. And I'll definitely miss it. Granite is no longer available so it was between white, red and black. I like red, it's fun and makes me think of jeeps. But my wife thinks it makes it look like a toy. White is the safe, most practical choice. But isn't "fun" and doesn't look that great. Black is totally impractical on a truck that'll go offroad. But makes the Jeep look almost as expensive as it is. I'm trying to get a quote on Xpel wrapping a Black Jeep before deciding.

TeCKis300

Observer
One of the best justifications I've come up with is that I can use the cash from selling the 100 to pay off most of my 6.8% interest rate federal student loans. Put as little down on the Jeep as possible. I'll sill be paying the same amount in loans a month, but it'll be a shorter 1.9% APR loan instead of a non forgivable 6.8% This saves thousands of dollars in interest later.

This one I can totally side with. Great move!

en480c4

Observer
This is the same thing I'm doing selling my 2012 JKU after doing a ton of work to it. I'm getting enough out of it to pay off some higher-interest loans and we'll get something short term for the family, saving a ton each month. And I'll get something fun for me down the road. It's tough to argue with economics of decisions like this. Good luck! I think you'll love the JKU.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Wrapping up a good financial decision...

This one I can totally side with. Great move!

This is the same thing I'm doing selling my 2012 JKU after doing a ton of work to it. I'm getting enough out of it to pay off some higher-interest loans and we'll get something short term for the family, saving a ton each month. And I'll get something fun for me down the road. It's tough to argue with economics of decisions like this. Good luck! I think you'll love the JKU.

Funny how buying a car can be a smart financial decision, but in this case, I agree with all three of you. Good move. :beer:
The resale value is also amazing, so at 1.9% finance rate as long as you make a good deal going in, it's a no brainer. Right up to the gas pump, then it hurts a bit. But we can't all eat tofu and drive Hybrids... :D

Red seems more of a "2 door" color to me. Really like your idea of wrapping a black one. That could be pretty awesome! :victory:

p nut

butter
Not sure how taking on 3x more debt is a good financial decision (whether you can afford it or not). Plus, you are eligible to write off student debt interest, but not a car loan. (It's been a while since I've had student loans, so maybe rules are different now).

But have fun with it. I also love those JKU's and hope to get one someday as well (hoping for a CRD version). Just not going to do it for "financially responsible" purposes. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal