Land Cruiser 100 to Jeep Rubicon Unlimited: Capability? Comfort?

LPIII

Observer
I am glad you found a dealer and finally bought a Jk, good luck with it. I was really getting tired of all the misinformation posted about dealers processes and so on as I read these posts. I am a dealer in what is the largest market in the country for Chrysler products, South-East Michigan. First off, a VON simply means Vehicle Order Number, it is generated the moment the vehicle is ordered. Allocation is not given twice a month, that is laughable. Sold orders are given priority over stock vehicles and as far as pricing goes if you were buying a vehicle in Michigan it is really all over the map five percent is not a stretch but most would not like to go that deep on a vehicle that is hard to come by and is over subscribed at the moment. For the record I am also an AEV dealer and while the landscape is crowded or rather littered with vendors hawking their wares AEV is a tier one supplier to Jeep and the products they manufacture is covered by warranty as most are found in the Mopar catalog. AEV's packages are engineered by former Jeep engineers they are real enthusiast and passionate about their craft.
For your lift I would go with AEV, the 2" is not really a game changer as it is not a full suspensions package as is the case with the 2.5 and the 3.5.

nate914s

Your orange JKU?

NFRs2000NYC By chance is this your JKU? If so Looks super clean!! What is the basic build...lift,rims, Bumpers, Lights,Winch...etc. Also is this a stock color? Only seen a few bright orange jeeps around.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I am glad you found a dealer and finally bought a Jk, good luck with it. I was really getting tired of all the misinformation posted about dealers processes and so on as I read these posts. I am a dealer in what is the largest market in the country for Chrysler products, South-East Michigan. First off, a VON simply means Vehicle Order Number, it is generated the moment the vehicle is ordered. Allocation is not given twice a month, that is laughable. Sold orders are given priority over stock vehicles and as far as pricing goes if you were buying a vehicle in Michigan it is really all over the map five percent is not a stretch but most would not like to go that deep on a vehicle that is hard to come by and is over subscribed at the moment. For the record I am also an AEV dealer and while the landscape is crowded or rather littered with vendors hawking their wares AEV is a tier one supplier to Jeep and the products they manufacture is covered by warranty as most are found in the Mopar catalog. AEV's packages are engineered by former Jeep engineers they are real enthusiast and passionate about their craft.
For your lift I would go with AEV, the 2" is not really a game changer as it is not a full suspensions package as is the case with the 2.5 and the 3.5.

Thanks for chiming in! I think the ordering process was just tricky because the 2015 ordering system doesn't seem to be public facing yet. And I'm sure you aren't a top priority after they've agreed to 5% under. The other good dealership I worked with as also an AEV dealer. Probably not a coincidence. The dealer I ended up using was an older guy who had been in the business a long time. I think he could tell I didn't need the full dog and pony show and was also just trying to make a fast, easy sale.

After dealing with overbuilt, overpriced and under-engineered land cruiser products, I'm very excited about the degree of engineering that supposedly goes into AEV products. Between that and the relative ease of lifting a front solid axle vehicle. There's a 1 year moritorium on lifting the Jeep. So the most I could get away with is the Terra Flex leveling kit or the AEV spacer lift to compensate for loads.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
10 bucks says that is going to end up being a 1 dog year moratorium!
Yeah, I'll bet! I said that too, along with everything else. My jeep just passed one year old and I already have front and rear bumpers, tire carrier, winch, front and rear lights, and now a proper lift. It's easy lose patience and get carried away!

GetOutThere

Adventurer
I've lasted two years with no hard mods. Be realistic about what you need. The less you modify your vehicle, the better.

It also shows you what you truly need, and what you most certainly do not.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Yeah, I'll bet! I said that too, along with everything else. My jeep just passed one year old and I already have front and rear bumpers, tire carrier, winch, front and rear lights, and now a proper lift. It's easy lose patience and get carried away!

If this was my first rodeo. This would be my third 4x4 build. I've learned that mods don't alway = better. That being said, in usual car nerd fashion, I ordered floor mats for my floor mats yesterday. I need to move this to a build thread. But have had time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
The one thing no one emphasized enough was how much more fun to drive the new wranglers are. 285hp, 2000 lbs lighter than a 100-Series, over-geared 4.10 axles and rear wheel drive is a lot of fun.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Hard to not drive around sporting a big ear to ear grin isn't it! :beer:
I've only managed 1,000 miles, but they have all been great.

Have you done any off road trips yet?

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Scott, I didn't know that you also got one! You got the color my wife wanted (other than black). You're beating me to the mods. I finally ordered my dual battery tray. Time to start a build thread.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Yep, definitely time to start a build thread. :beer:

I'll be interested in following along on your dual battery setup. That is a mod I would like to accomplish before next summer.

Baja300

You will love an unlimited. I suggest you look at other companies besides AEV. While AEV makes great products, other companies make products that are just as good if not better. Do your research so that you get exactly what you want. Companies like LOD, Shrockworks, EVo Manufacturing (excellent armor) ExpeditionONE, etc all make fantastic stuff. The 4 door makes for an excellent overland rig when set up properly. The ride is also very comfortable, provided you do your research when it comes to lifts/components and such.

8734749108_ae94feb729_b.jpg

8734744600_b6a56e99d3_b.jpg
Maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread but, does anyone know the brand/model of the bumper in the second picture?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk