Land Rover ideas for Jeeps

Jurfie

Adventurer
LOVE the 12-volt slow cooker option! I had no idea they existed. On a long trip, it would be awesome to treat ourselves to a hot slow-cooked meal after setting up camp (especially in the rain, which is often here in BC).

Not sure how well I’d trust the lid (even strapped as shown) on a difficult trail, but for long stretches of FSRs or pavement on longer trip, it would be a treat indeed.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
LOVE the 12-volt slow cooker option! I had no idea they existed. On a long trip, it would be awesome to treat ourselves to a hot slow-cooked meal after setting up camp (especially in the rain, which is often here in BC).

Not sure how well I’d trust the lid (even strapped as shown) on a difficult trail, but for long stretches of FSRs or pavement on longer trip, it would be a treat indeed.
All I can say is that if you look at the number of Land Rover ideas in this thread that you could apply to Jeeps, even if you only use a few of them, how can you not afford to subscribe to these magazines? :)

And I haven't even posted anything in this thread about the many articles they run about off-road driving techniques in various conditions, these alone may be worth the price of a subscription if they help you get through whatever conditions you encounter...

OffRoadMasterclass.jpg

OffRoadMasterclass2.jpg

Even if we still had Jeep magazines in the U.S., I never found them as useful as Land Rover Owner and Land Rover Monthly.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Not too sure about the charcoal cooker as there are many places I go that do not allow fires of any type. I have a propane campfire that seems to be sanctioned by camp ground rangers everywhere I have gone. Charcoal is messy and there is the issue of disposal of the coals or ash. I can use it for heat, cooking or just staring into at close of day.
I do like the idea of a slow cooker and had no idea such a thing was even available but years ago I bought a Yiboss food meal heater and it is great. When I reach my destination at the end of an offloading day my meal is ready.

pith helmet

Not too sure about the charcoal cooker as there are many places I go that do not allow fires of any type. I have a propane campfire that seems to be sanctioned by camp ground rangers everywhere I have gone. Charcoal is messy and there is the issue of disposal of the coals or ash. I can use it for heat, cooking or just staring into at close of day.
I do like the idea of a slow cooker and had no idea such a thing was even available but years ago I bought a Yiboss food meal heater and it is great. When I reach my destination at the end of an offloading day my meal is ready.
Neat. That’s tempting...what about spillage with this unit? I looked at all the product pics and it seems that there isn’t lid for the tray. Is that correct?

krick3tt

Adventurer
Actually the pics in the product literature do not show a lid.
There is a tight fitting lid. Has a small vent hole in the top to ease the pressure. The box with lid on fits into the black case, zips up with the cord plugged into a 'cigarette' lighter socket. I place it on the floor on a towel or a rag to insulate it a bit and off I go. It will get quite hot, about 280 degrees or so. the black case is also insulated to keep it warm.
Sometimes it helps to surround the thing with a bit of stuff to keep it from sliding around. Actually it is quite a non spill thing, especially if it is not too liquid. I cook stew with rice or something like that. It is great for heating up wrapped enchiladas. Almost anything you like to have at the end of your ride, experiment a bit.
I really like a hot meal in the evening, even in the desert.

edit: Actually the nice thing about Amazon is that if you really don't like, clean it up and put it back in the original packing and send it back and get your money back. How can you lose?

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
In every issue there are pages in the back listing Land Rovers for sale; I came across this 2006 Defender 130 Crew Cab with camper for 80,000 GPB. The photo is from a website where it's also listed, the magazine photo was very small so I posted this larger one.

OverCar130.jpg

The full description:

Fully upgraded 2006 Td5 Defender with 4 berths cabin fully equipped (wc, kitchen, shower, heating, solar panel, boiler, etc). We enhanced (by an official Land Rover Service in Savona) this fantastic TD5 130 Crew Cab (6 seats) with several improvements: bigger turbocharger and intercooler, pneum. diff. blocks (front and rear), winch with synthetic cable, 800 w sound system (with subwoofer) and retro camera, +5cm suspension lift, front bumper and snorkel, diff. protections.

What if...

OverCarGladiator.jpg

Are there any slide-in campers for the Gladiator yet?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
" If you build it, they will come."
Back when I was doing the TrailTop camper/trailer topper components I did a few concept drawings of slide-in campers based on those parts. Some parts (and a Jeep-tub teardrop proof-of-concept):

Parts.jpg

And some pickup slide-in concepts:

TTBrutePopTop1.jpg

TTJeepPickup.jpg

At the time I built several proof-of-concept campers and trailer toppers based on the TrailTop parts, but not wanting or needing a slide-in camper, I only did the concept drawings of those. But it would be fun to build one with TrailTop parts.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Been there, done that part 11. Mosquito Pass

From a U.S. Land Rover club rally trip to the top of Mosquito Pass written about in one of the LR magazines:

MosquitoPass.jpg

More on the pass: https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/178-mosquito-pass-usa.html

I've done Mosquito several times.

Mosquito3_zps836fc797.jpg

On the way up... at about 12,000 feet approaching the summit from the east:

Mosquito1_zps0a5b9c31.jpg

Above this point the going is pretty rough; a high clearance vehicle with low range is really a good idea for the last mile or two up to the summit from the east, and the two miles down from the summit on the west.

At about 13,000 feet there was snow on the side of the trail. This photo was taken on August 2 and until sometime in July the trail at the summit was blocked by snow and impassable.

Mosquito2_zps3805d66a.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Over the course of this thread I've posted several photos of Land Rovers carrying jerry cans on the front, it's fairly common to do that on Series Land Rovers. Most of these were done by bolting jerry can carriers to the bumper or the front fenders/grille.

I think this is how NOT to do it, puts the cans right into the approach angle:

BumperJerryLow.jpg

But here's an idea that could be adapted to a Wrangler - a winch/jerry bumper. On a TJ you'd have to relocate the fender-mounted turn signals; on a JK the lights are in the grille so no problem there.

WinchJerryBumper.jpg

There are lots of aftermarket Wrangler bumpers in the U.S. but I've never seen one like this. Seems to me this could be very useful for overlanding Jeeps.

I wonder what the reaction would be if some company came out with a Wrangler bumper like this? I'm sure it would look better than this crude photo-edit:

WinchJerryBumperLJ.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Are these trash cans?

The article is about an England to Australia expedition in in 1965 but no mention is made of what appear to be trash cans hanging on the back quarters.

TrashCans1.jpg

TrashCans1a.jpg

In the back they've mounted the tail lights higher so the cans can fit. Would be a little harder to relocate the Jeep tail lights, but it could be done - they could be mounted on the corners of the hardtop. On the passenger side of a Jeep this space wouldn't be available because the side-swing tailgate would limit what could be mounted on that rear corner anyway.

What's on the front: lots of extra fuel, a spare on the hood, some other small container in front of the grille. And a large box on the roof. Notice the front signals have been relocated to the top of the fenders to clear the jerry cans.

TrashCans1b.jpg

krick3tt

Adventurer
Lowers the COG but they're going where there are few other vehicles, unlike the clogged roads in the US so chances of high speed collisions are limited. The words 'high speed' collisions really do not apply to series vehicles.
Most Americal vehicles locate the petrol tank under the vehicle at the rear, is that any safer in a collision?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater